Woman stalled on tracks while learning stick shift

Woman Narrowly Misses Train After Car Stalls On Tracks

A woman is recovering after an unintentional game of chicken with a train.

It happened Monday as the train was approaching a station in Florida around 2pm.

The driver, identified as Kristen Taylor, reportedly just bought a new car and was still learning to use the stick shift when it stalled on the tracks.

The train was traveling around 35 mph and the conductor tried to stop it but it was too late. Taylor was taken to the hospital with minor injuries from flying debris and is recovering.

We've seen several risky situations turn out much better than expected.

jnjsec May 23 2014 at 11:42 AM

Why would you buy a car you don't know how to drive!! Learn first--then buy. Stupid!

oldknight May 23 2014 at 2:13 PM

Future Democratic Voters

ndtohvfun May 23 2014 at 12:32 PM

what an idiot learning to drive on or near a train track? i bought a brand new car in the 70's a stick not knowing how to drive it but i learned on side streets with my dad yelling and making me stall LOL

Michelle CD ndtohvfun May 23 2014 at 12:40 PM

Where did you read she was just learning to drive? It says, she was learning to drive a stick shift. Obviously haven chosen to get away from an automatic trans. I happen to recongize that train station and the town it is in, not many places there to drive without crossing railroad tracks.

gramargo ndtohvfun May 23 2014 at 6:02 PM

When I was into my teens, I knew I'd have to learn to drive as my mother never did and we lived out of town. Dad got a new car with the proviso that the salesman would teach Mom and me to drive. She chickened out, and I, having watched very carefully everything Dad did while driving, took the wheel and drove around the area of empty streets with no problems. That was many years ago, and I still drive a stick shift, an older VW Golf that thinks it's a sports car in disguise.
This woman should have stuck to parking lot practice until she learned how to avoid a stall, especially on a railroad track!

DAN May 23 2014 at 4:26 PM

I taught both my daughters to drive the stick shift using a very large church parking lot with an uphill slope at one end to prepare them for the scary stop and go on uphill - coordinating brake, then gas and clutch (use hand brake to avoid rolling back)

gramargo DAN May 23 2014 at 6:13 PM

We were stationed near Edinburgh, Scotland, and after a year we had to get local driver's licenses. Some of the other wives had done it and told the rest of us exactly what to expect, like a sudden braking, and parking facing uphill, then restarting the engine and driving off. I knew how to drive our VW Bug very well, so I wasn't worried. The test-giver was, however, because I was obviously pregnant. I nearly put him through the windshield with the "panic stop" thing, and then aced the after-parking restart. Took me hours to get the grin off my face after he signed the papers and finally caught his breath again!

N68Firebird May 23 2014 at 2:08 PM

If you're going to learn how to drive a stick shift, even one with a different shifting pattern than one you already own, I would suggest going to an EMPTY parking lot (like a mall parking lot early on a Sunday) where you will have fewer safety hazards!

blueeyessing N68Firebird May 23 2014 at 2:19 PM

Why would anybody buy a car with a stick shift in this day and age anyway? Transmissions get just as good mileage and are more convenient to use.

realdealnyc May 23 2014 at 12:44 PM

How stupid can u be to buy a car you can't drive???

vancecline May 23 2014 at 12:52 PM

I've always said that drivers education should be taught with a stick shift. ANYONE can drive an automatic. Better yet, have the close ISD's get together and purchase a simulator. That gets the instructor and (always) other students in the back seat out of harms way. That way, any and all scenarios that could possible show up while driving would become well versed in young drivers minds. Can't drive a stick shift? How sad.

stvhndyman vancecline May 24 2014 at 3:29 AM

When I took driver's lessons, from my high school, I learned on a stick shift. 3 speed on the column.

greenpaddy11 vancecline May 24 2014 at 3:37 AM

My daughter is mildly disabled, she has to wear a brace on her left leg, driving a stick shift would be nearly impossible for her. In todays age stick shifts are not something most drive.

captainmorse May 23 2014 at 6:00 PM

The mistake was NOT in buying the manual transmission car not knowing how to drive it.....its learning to use it on the normal traffic environment. She should have had an
experienced Stick shift driver take her and the car to an area of no traffic [large empty
parking lots, or industrial areas in the evening], where she can learn how to use the
stick shift/clutch. And become adept at it enough to then progress to very light traffic areas, and then to normal areas.

skitzlpk May 23 2014 at 12:39 PM

Confucious say:

when learning the nuances of manual transmission, woman must first pick long dirt road where dust will wash off very quickly while her treasured auto remains intact..

RSW skitzlpk May 23 2014 at 7:27 PM

First thing a women wanting to drive a stick shift has got learn is to take the phone out of your hands first !

slaab32 May 23 2014 at 5:14 PM

Gee, I guess if you're stupid enough to learn stick and get stuck on railroad tracks, then you're stupid enough to sit in or near enough to your car when you see a train coming to get hurt.