18-year-old reunites with the man who found her as a baby

High School Grad Reunites With Man Who Saved Her When She Was A Baby

An Illinois high school grad was reunited with the man who saved her 18 years ago when she was abandoned by her birth mother as a baby.

The story starts back in November of 1995, when a woman called into dispatch saying she'd left her newborn baby at Mount Hope Cemetery.

Over his scanner, volunteer firefighter Charlie Heflin heard the call to search for a newborn abandoned in a cemetery.

When the baby wasn't found after searching Mount Hope Cemetery, Heflin says he had a gut feeling he should check a different cemetery nearby.

"He didn't find anything and started walking to his truck, but something told him to check again."

Then, Heflin "heard a little whimper close to a tree."

The tiny baby girl was covered in blood and still had her umbilical cord attached. Heflin told ABC, "I called it in and handed her to the ambulance and that was the last time I saw her."

A writer for Time reports five days later that little girl was adopted by Bonnie and Greg James, who named her Skyler.

By the time Skyler turned five years old, her adoptive mother started searching for Heflin - but this was before social media, and the search was fruitless.

New York Daily News says just a few weeks before Skyler was set to graduate high school, Bonnie James found Heflin on Facebook and invited him to her daughter's graduation.

"I was totally shocked and it's something that I've dreamed of since I was a little kid."

At her party, Heflin gifted Skyler with the fleece he'd wrapped her in when he found her 18 years ago. Skyler plans to attend Concordia University in Chicago, where she'll major in communications this fall.

ASC May 23 2014 at 3:16 PM

I, too, was abandoned, but I was 3, brother 2 & sister 1. We were left in our crib (all together) for 3 days before someone found us. I'm glad for people like Heflin to respond to a need. God bless you, Heflin. M. Collins, Albuquerque

Judith May 23 2014 at 4:31 PM

What I find most beautiful about this entire beautiful story is that Heflin kept the fleece he'd wrapped her in for 18 years and was able to give it to her. Wow!

marie5850 May 23 2014 at 3:18 PM

Good Story! There is truly some nice people in this world. We only hear the bad stories.
Good job Skyler ! Never forget that man! God will shine on him!

clwgeorgetownlaw marie5850 May 23 2014 at 4:29 PM

The sun god?

jtfee marie5850 May 23 2014 at 10:26 PM

Thank goodness for volunteers.

dean552014 May 23 2014 at 3:03 PM

good story ! Mothers thoughtfulness inpressive !!-- grown tired of political trash stories

Evelyn Valerie May 23 2014 at 3:53 PM

Happy she found a loving home......feel badly for the birth mother......she must have been in complete distress.

viabaracca Evelyn Valerie May 24 2014 at 5:55 AM

She abandoned a helpess new born baby in a cemetary to die! how coul anyone have any sympathy for a cold hearted monster like that? Your comment makes me sick, you should be ashamed...

mavisnightowl Evelyn Valerie May 26 2014 at 5:00 PM

she could have left it at a hospital.......even fire stations will take a child off your hands without questions! On the other hand, at least she called and thought the child would be rescued, rather than dumping in off a bridge or in a trash bin!

abudotcom May 23 2014 at 3:29 PM

Goose bumps here…. What a nice story to end the week…..

Gayle May 23 2014 at 5:20 PM

Finally a nice story. Very nice of the adopted mom to invite Mr Heflin. Congrats all the way around.

ramc1019 May 23 2014 at 6:35 PM

17 years ago I found an abandoned newborn baby boy whimpering in a diaper bag in a ladies room in San Francisco International airport=I too handed this beautiful infant on to child services and then no more contact. this experience profoundly changed my life-i felt blessed to have found him. I love Skyler's adoptive parents for sharing her story with her and sharing her new life (on the brink of adulthood) with the man who found her... Not many days go by without me wondering about the baby boy i held in my arms... this is a beautiful story

greenpaddy11 ramc1019 May 24 2014 at 3:24 AM

You should look into it, I am sure he would like to meet you.

Lazaraescudaro May 23 2014 at 5:17 PM

Amazing! Skyler looks like Heflin.

pt086 May 23 2014 at 7:55 PM

This is a great story. It is one of hope, resilience, and the power of good deeds. I am happy for Skyler and I am grateful there are people like her adoptive parents and Mr. Heflin, the volunteer fireman. The acts of these selfless people are the cure for a cynical world.