Son grants dying father's wish to see him graduate

Son Grants Dying Father's Wish To See Him Graduate

A bittersweet story out of Kimberly, Alabama, is going viral this week. (You may want to grab the tissues.)

Kyle Woods knew his father was very ill, and all he wanted to do was grant his final wish: to see Kyle graduation.

Greg Woods suffers from late-stage COPD, a disease that slowly reduces lung function. He told The Inquisitr, "They told me years ago that I probably wouldn't ever get to see my kids graduate because of the COPD and how far it had progressed. So far this year I've been in the hospital more than I've been out."

Fearing that his father wouldn't make it, Greg's son Kyle asked classmates and faculty members to help grant his father's last wish.

WAFF says the school held a special ceremony for Kyle and his dad a week ahead of the real commencement. Greg told WBRC he was speechless.

"Words really can't describe how I'm feeling right now. Extremely happy. Extremely happy"

Kyle told The Inquisitr he plans to spend as much time as possible with his father and wants to join the Air Force.

jdunbar60 May 23 2014 at 7:16 AM

Greg you can also go with the knowledge that you raised a REALLY GREAT son!! No matter what he does in life after you're gone you're leaving a young man with REAL character who will only get better due to the strength that he learned from you. God bless you all.

kscollinsx3 May 23 2014 at 5:32 AM

Good Job Kyle!!
You have done an amazing thing for your Dad and its something you will always remember.
Your raised a good boy Greg. I'm sure you're very proud!
God Bless you all in the coming weeks and months!
Sabina

ian3901 May 23 2014 at 5:48 AM

Man's humanity to man, instead of Man's inhumanity to Man.

I wish you well Greg Woods.

Phyllis May 23 2014 at 7:37 AM

Wonderful story, wish we could all come together in this nation.

Linda May 23 2014 at 5:15 AM

COPD and lung disease can be very bad. My grandpa had a lung disease and it really did take a lot out of him. I am glad this man Greg got to see his son graduate. Just wish he could have more time with his family as he seems young to be so sick. Take care and best wishes to you and your family Greg..... and Kyle...persue your dreams as they are worth it. My son in law is Air Force, my oldest son Army Reserve, my second oldest son Marines. I wish you luck Kyle in the Air Force.

cnaean May 23 2014 at 8:12 AM

Very moving story. That young man has a good heart and will go far in life.

nama holston May 23 2014 at 10:12 AM

A son who honors his father and that honors his FATHER.

Shawn May 23 2014 at 8:39 AM

Great story for all involved

Hellene M Carter May 23 2014 at 8:46 AM

What a lovely gesture.

pipe412 May 23 2014 at 12:18 PM

The school is to be congratulated for such a difficult task that made a family happy and for them to be able to see a dream come true.