Donovan among seven cuts on US World Cup roster

BY RONALD BLUM
AP SPORTS WRITER

STANFORD, Calif. (AP) -- American career scoring leader Landon Donovan was among seven players cut Thursday as the United States announced its 23-man World Cup roster well before the June 2 deadline.

The 32-year-old attacker, bidding to make his fourth World Cup, was bypassed by U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann in favor of Aron Johannsson and Chris Wondolowski, who joined Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey as the forwards.

Also cut were defenders Brad Evans, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst, midfielders Joe Corona and Maurice Edu, and forward Terrence Boyd.

Donovan has 57 goals in 156 international appearances and has been the face of American soccer for the past decade, both with the national team and with Major League Soccer, where he has won five titles.

Donovan was a mainstay of the national team before he took a sabbatical of about four months after the 2012 season, spending part of the time in Cambodia. Klinsmann said Donovan would have to earn his spot back.

He restored Donovan to the roster for last summer's CONCACAF Gold Cup, where Donovan excelled, and played Donovan for World Cup qualifiers later in the year. But Klinsmann kept him out of the starting lineup for last month's exhibition against Mexico, saying Donovan practiced poorly because of a knee problem.

Donovan said this week his knee was OK.

"I'm very confident in my abilities and I think I'm deserving to be a part of the squad, but I have to prove that and I have to earn it," he said Monday.

When Klinsmann announced his 30-man preliminary roster on May 12, he said he viewed Donovan more a forward than a midfielder.

"I don't have that youthful energy and excitement that I did in 2002, but I see the game and I see the situation a lot more clearly now, so I'm able to I think enjoy it more in that way," Donovan said. "When you're younger, you're just sort of going crazy to do whatever it takes to make the team and you forget to enjoy it, And now I'm actually getting to enjoy it."

smokeyffpm May 22 2014 at 8:15 PM

Sad day for American soccer. Donovan deserved better.

jim4RACING May 22 2014 at 8:41 PM

I have always been a fan of klinsmmann, but this is one of the worst things he could have done for our us team, Donovan is more than just a player, he is a leader.

and has Klinsmann forgot that Donovan has scored 57 goals in international play, not a good thing for our team.

cabirock09 jim4RACING May 22 2014 at 11:12 PM

you said it he has

jdsept jim4RACING May 23 2014 at 12:04 PM

Sports is don't tell me what YOU did for me in the past, what are YOU going to do for me now. That is reality. Klinsmann's job is to put together what he thinks is the best team now. If he is wrong, he will be fired. That is reality also. Tough group they are in. If they don't move on, I would assume he would be gone. How many wins he needs after that to remain is open to debate. its not like the US is historically a powerhouse at World Cup. We are getting better but its a slow process.

wlh1923 May 22 2014 at 9:00 PM

Hey, this isn't local travel soccer where the coach is coach so his son can "make" the team. Klinsmann is putting together the best team from the best currently available and healthy players. This isn't a testimonial, retirement tour for former greats, rather, it is a team comprised of the best young, healthy, fit players. Hey Donovan, you had a remarkable career, hands down. However, 2002 was 12 years ago and you aren't the player you were then. No hard feelings.

exitscreaming May 22 2014 at 8:50 PM

Jurgen Klannsman still holds a grudge because Donovan took some time off, this decision was a mistake

jijjhnsn exitscreaming May 23 2014 at 7:24 AM

Grudge? But he brought him back all of last year. Played in Gold Cup, and all the qualifiers.

Sonja exitscreaming May 23 2014 at 3:01 PM

I think you out of your Mind?
what you been sniffing lately brother?
ps. Am German, I think the Coach is German Too, by his Name, I know he is from Europe,could be Holland.
Anyway Europien Chile and other Countrys play Soccerball, not Americans are good at this Yet, Maybe Some Day. In the Mean time, if your team loose, there is still the Best Player Chile more likely number one. Germany Second, I sure Hope.
So you see Dope, leave this Profeesion to a Profession, Just like Football, if a Guy cant make no Touch down, the take his Ass of The Field and make him sit on the Bench.
That;s Life, it;s All About beeing number 1in the World.
take your Blinders of stay of Drugs keep an clear head and Lerned.
ps. If your are a Man, You Wont Mentally Macure Mentally until you around 35.
wish you well. Spoken from a German Born Women.
Sonja Wolff.

sparker231 May 22 2014 at 9:42 PM

wow, slap in the face to someone who deserves way better. Sadly Donovan is the only one with name recognition in American soccer, leave it to the coach to cut him. Very disappointing.

mallyajones sparker231 May 23 2014 at 12:07 AM

I agree idiot

jdsept sparker231 May 23 2014 at 12:08 PM

Joe Montana has name recognition also, but nobody will pay him now. Name recognition means little after the skills are gone. Practiced poorly might be the reality. We don't see practice sessions which is reality also. A coach is hired to make these kind of decisions.

vasp99 jdsept May 23 2014 at 4:41 PM

Donovan's skill may have eroded since 2002; however, is he worse than the 18 yr old with hardly any experience? He should have been included and dropped from the team after the Cup to prepare the team for 2018. It's not like we have a few KaKa and Ronaldinho. Brazil can afford to drop those guys from the team as they have a factory of excellent players. We don't have that yet. Nevertheless, despite of the decision he made, I still like Klinsman, and I think he is doing a great job. I think we are on the road of being a world class country with him on the helm.

Flag +1 rate up
etm080766 May 22 2014 at 9:48 PM

Now everybody knows,why he is not the coach of the German national soccer team? He does not know how to be a coach.

Paula May 22 2014 at 7:43 PM

Absolutely SHOCKING decision!

gdmactor May 22 2014 at 11:29 PM

Donovan deserves to be on the team!

tcellguru May 22 2014 at 8:44 PM

G.W. Bush's fault

sonnyuomo1 May 23 2014 at 6:27 AM

Bummer...sounds personal to me....don't want to sound like a downer here, but the US can't compete anyway with or without him at that level...they are completely out-classed at the world cup level..so this is sort of a mute point....congrats that they qualified...but we are still trying to catch up in a sport with countries where this is life...not a side sport like here...I know they work hard...but I just don't feel they will get too far...but I will pray they do...love cinderella stories.