Cinnabon knows exactly how good their product smells

Cinnabon Admits To Tricking You With Cinnamon Smells

You know how when you walk into an airport or a mall, as soon as you're through those doors the smell of delicious cinnamon just hits you? And within seconds, you're craving a cinnamon roll? Well, turns out that's not by accident.

ABC reports: "Cinnabon places all of its ovens deliberately near the front of the store. And will only open stores in enclosed locations, like malls and airports."

Kat Cole, the president of Cinnabon, shared these and other secrets with The Wall Street Journal.

Cole said cinnamon rolls are baked precisely every half an hour to ensure the smell of cinnamon lingers in the air. But just in case the aroma doesn't last, employees heat trays of cinnamon and brown sugar.

Eater says Cole even spilled about how Cinnabon franchises are told to purchase the "weakest hood possible" for their ovens. That way, the smells will spill into the malls and airports even more.

And the people behind Cinnabon know the smell of their food is its highest selling point. With that in mind, they decided to branch out from the food industry.

Yes, that's right. You can now purchase Cinnabon-scented air freshener and Cinnabon-flavored vodka. Apparently, once you open the cap, you get a big ol' whiff of the sugary icing.

Of course, Cinnabon isn't the only company with a recognizable scent. The Huffington Post decided to rank the food chains it believes have the most distinctive smells:

No surprise, Cinnabon came in at No. 1, followed shortly by Subway and Auntie Anne's Pretzels. The fourth most recognizable was McDonalds. Rounding out the top 5 was Cold Stone Creamery.

Clearly, the nose knows. So, the next time you go into a mall and purchase that cinnamon roll, don't feel bad. Just understand you fell into their carefully-laid trap.

wllharrington May 23 2014 at 4:34 PM

The Huffigton Post has its own scent, usually found in the pig sty.

Diane May 23 2014 at 11:31 AM

This is supposed to be news? Boy, Huff, you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Why doesn't Huff and the other lib media start printing the voting records of those running for office in this years election? Including the lib Dems running?

Don't want the voters to know the truth about those running? Sure looks that way!!!

thomashollman19 May 25 2014 at 9:23 AM

THE WHITE HOUSE WELL THATS AN ENTIRERLY DIFFERENT STORY WE WILL FUMIGATE AND START OVER

Tammy May 25 2014 at 11:47 AM

It's a shame they don't taste as good as they smell. I have tried them a few times and I think they are way too heavy with the sugar and the cinnamon. Both are just overpowering with no balance. The texture of the roll itself is coarse. No desire to ever try one again. I guess that is a good thing LOL

wlh1923 Tammy May 25 2014 at 10:33 PM

I wouldn't say the smell is "good". The smell is loud, large, overpowering and tends to draw people (fat ones anyway) to the counter. You walk past the place and you're embarrassed to stop in because of all the fat people milling around waiting to get their dessert fix. Nah.

claudia3197 May 25 2014 at 10:59 AM

I'm proud to say I always walk right past it.

tmccull52 May 25 2014 at 7:40 AM

This is why I purposefully go into every Cinnabon outlet than I can, and expel the most noxious fart than I'm able to produce. It's my simple contribution against the war on obesity. You're welcome, America.

Denise May 23 2014 at 8:31 PM

Works at home, too! People think you've been cooking all day!

lthrnck68 May 25 2014 at 7:26 AM

Smells great, but have absolutely no interest in eating one. Just like the Krispy Kreme craze. Did try one then. So sugary that I couldn't finish it.

allnightradioman May 25 2014 at 10:41 AM

I pass up on all this commercialized mall garbage. I know what religion these mass marketers are. It's not good. Get out of the city people! Go bake a cake!

cqdeed May 23 2014 at 2:42 PM

I used to fall for the smell and eat an occational bun, but then I came down with diabetes and can now only grit my teeth and keep walking.