Spear fisher catches some amazing footage

Diver Catches Mackerel but Has to Avoid Hungry Shark

Deon Danowski was spear-fishing with his father and brother just off the Great Barrier Reef, Australia, when he caught some amazing footage on his camera.

After successfully catching a mackerel shark, Deon was caught by surprise when he spotted a 2.5m Grey Reef Shark swimming straight towards him.

After attempting to fend off the shark with his spear gun, Deon turned tail and swam as fast as he could back to the boat.

At least he didn't run into this guy!

tmccull52 May 23 2014 at 7:07 AM

If I'm in the water with a fish on my line, and a shark wants it, it's getting it. I can always hit a Red Lobster on the way home.

MHDarden1 May 23 2014 at 9:18 AM

Would make you nauseous? Seriously? AOL.. are you that desperate?

rrllort May 23 2014 at 6:11 AM

Ahhhhh, what was the amazing video? I must have blinked.

dondemaria May 23 2014 at 7:16 AM

There was nothing amazing about that video at all. We see sharks all the time spearfishing in the Florida Keys--he even got the whole fish back.
Today there is a new generation of Go-Pro wearing "dive heros" everything they do underwater they record and think somehow it is special.

PERFORATOR May 23 2014 at 9:40 AM

***BREAKING NEWS***
As they have been doing for millions of years, a shark went after a struggling wounded fish!
In other breaking news, the sun rose in the east and set in the west, a baby crapped in it's diaper, and a politician lied about something.

dworkenlaw1 May 23 2014 at 9:29 AM

I was, like, "F*** that little fish and get your azz out of the water. NOW!" LOL.

I can't believe he screwed around near the ladder--with his legs still in the water--trying to get the catch into the boat.

schlauger1 dworkenlaw1 May 23 2014 at 2:46 PM

He's a kid and thought he had the Big Kahuna. Maybe he'll think twice about such a huge prize next time.

John dworkenlaw1 May 23 2014 at 2:52 PM

Why not? This is nothing unusual after all. He probably went right back down for more fish also.

Susan May 23 2014 at 9:47 AM

And this is amazing why? Sharks often shadow spearfishermen. It happens here in S. FL all the time. My husband even had one grab the catch bag clipped to his BC one time with a hogfish and a lobster in the bag. The shark was shaking my 6' husband like a dog toy. He finally managed to unhook the bag and we swam away. I was just ticked off at losing a $45 catch bag.

mexvillas May 23 2014 at 12:44 PM

Really rookie mistake! You always raise your speared fish above water and get it back to the boat. Leaving it in the water is a sure way to bring in sharks. He was really lucky.
I have seen people lose their fish and their spear guns when the sharks attack what is now bait.

Lisa May 23 2014 at 8:55 AM

That was so boring. AOL...come on! You lost a lot of credibility on this one. Please don't wast our time. Most of us have a couple of minutes to jump online and come to check out some fun footage. Guess I need to go back to Yahoo for my quick update.

fishingal0926 Lisa May 23 2014 at 9:34 AM

How much credibility did they really have in the first place, though? HA!

laclone May 23 2014 at 6:52 PM

Back in the '70s, the Navy ships sometimes held "Swim Call". A period of recreational swimming over the side of the ship.
About a hundred miles off Ft Laud., I was swimming around the ship with mask, fins and snorkel. I was about 150 feet away from the ship &10 feet or so down, and turned back to look at the underside view of the ship. As I took in the view, a gentle pressure-wave suddenly pushed me from behind. I turned and saw that a 10-15 ft. Hammerhead shark had come up behind me and had just turned away about 2-3 feet behind my back.

My fins went into high-gear of their on accord, and I set an underwater speed record swimming back to the ship.
I surfaced, yelled "Shark", and swim-call ended.

I wasn't worried for my safety in the least though, because there's not a shark alive that can catch a human swimming underwater, if the shark has to swim fast through a trail of ****.