Woman trapped in car for 5 days speaks out about ordeal

Woman Trapped In Car For 5 Days Speaks Out About Ordeal

After spending five days trapped inside her car, a Colorado woman was finally rescued May 4. CNN says Kristin Hopkins had been driving along a Colorado highway when her car careened down an embankment and into a grove of trees.

"Hopkins was trapped inside her mangled vehicle that had hit several trees and multiple times before landing on its roof."

Now, more than two weeks after Hopkins' rescue, she's speaking with the media. She told ABC she doesn't remember anything about the crash. When she awoke, she found herself trapped in the car. The mother of four only had one thought in mind.

"Oh my God, I've gotta pick up my kids. You know, it's a school day."

But she did know something was seriously wrong.

"I noticed my feet were kind of, not the right color or size or anything. So I knew obviously those were hurt."

KUSA reports Hopkins' feet were later amputated by doctors at St. Anthony Hospital in the Denver area.

Hopkins' family reported her missing April 29th, so why wasn't she found until May 4th?

Fox News reports even though Hopkins was entered into a missing persons database, police never actively searched for her because she's an adult and there were no signs of foul play.

Trapped inside her car for five days with no food and only a tiny packet of dry oatmeal, Hopkins knew she had to come up with some way to communicate if she was ever found.

"Kristin found a Sharpie and wrote messages on an umbrella. 'Hurt and bleeding. Need doctor.' And 'Can't get doors open.'"

"It was my little ah-ha moment. My little MacGyver moment."

Eventually, Hopkins' car was spotted by Andy and Hope Lombard as they were driving past. And thank goodness they did - Hopkins' doctors believe she would have lasted only about eight more hours if she hadn't been found. She was emotional as she spoke with NBC about what she wants the Lombards to know.

"Thank you for saving me. You know, they're my angels."

Hopkins will spend the next few months at the hospital, where she will undergo physical rehabilitation for her new prostheses.

Linda May 22 2014 at 6:20 AM

She may not have her feet anymore, but she has her life, her kids, and her husband. She was lucky. I lived in Colorado and the roads there can be very dangerous. Some roads have sheer drop offs along the side of the roads...she is lucky she was even found alive. She had an angel watching over her.

babsart Linda May 22 2014 at 2:41 PM

She is a single mother. No frantic husband out looking for her.

ChingOW Mango babsart May 22 2014 at 7:38 PM

Exactly! WTF - that's the first thing I would have done back tracked where she had been - she sounds like the normal mom - off to pick up the kids - why didn't anyone go and look for her - very strange - very stupid. Can't depend on the cops for everything - obviously!

Flag +3 rate up
Kathy babsart May 22 2014 at 11:03 PM

Who picked up the kids? 5 days missing and no one thought to look for her? OMG.

Flag +1 rate up
ChingOW Mango Linda May 22 2014 at 7:37 PM

Being grateful all the time is very tiring.

talismanp May 22 2014 at 9:20 AM

My God, what a brave, powerful woman. I was feeling sorry for myself today and then I saw this and now I feel ashamed. I wish I had a fraction of whatever this lady has inside her. Bless her.

Martha talismanp May 23 2014 at 2:47 AM

You wish you had a fraction of what this woman had inside? You do. We all do. Survival. You are every bit as worthy of doing something like this as she is! Don't feel ashamed, feel lucky, feel liberated, feel something.But if you saw inspration in this, then you don't need to feel ashamed.

hpycmpr155 May 22 2014 at 6:51 AM

Soo glad her Mama Bear instincts clicked in and she was rescued.
She HAD to pick up the kids, darn it !!!

dbsquirl May 22 2014 at 8:02 AM

wish her & her family well!!

marygold211 May 22 2014 at 9:49 AM

Sorry to hear about this. God was looking over you to keep you here for a good reason. Make the most of it the world needs more people like you!

IBruzEZ May 22 2014 at 8:38 AM

It is a miracle... all those injuries with no water... usually have so many organs fail they don't survive.

theomegaman72 May 22 2014 at 1:36 PM

" Ingenious way she finally got attention " ?....hmm... what was it ?......typical AOL/ Huff Puff lying headline designed to get clicks/ad revenue

sulandherb theomegaman72 May 22 2014 at 6:47 PM

it says she wrote a message on her umbrella....I presume she stuck it out the window.......

nf1stinks sulandherb May 22 2014 at 8:36 PM

No, she stuck it out the tail pipe.. Duh.

Flag 0 rate up
exitscreaming sulandherb May 22 2014 at 9:06 PM

lol....yeah , nobody noticed the wrecked car laying on it's roof but they noticed the umbrella

Flag 0 rate up
virginia. May 22 2014 at 9:54 AM

the police should have acted sooner. At least show that they care.

hhplus virginia. May 22 2014 at 10:36 AM

I'm not a police officer, nor to I even know any, but c'mon, we don't know if she always took the same route to pick up her kids, so there might have been a lot of territory to cover. If she was coming from home, from a store or from a friends house, the route she would have taken would be different.

BTW. This exact thing has happened before, the only difference is that the person was hanging upside down by their seat belt. He/she also survived.

ChingOW Mango hhplus May 22 2014 at 7:43 PM

........and your stupid point is......

Flag +1 rate up
Howard virginia. May 22 2014 at 8:52 PM

Stop and think once in a while. Youknow nothing. The road she was on is very hazardous; I always try to drive it bevore noon while the touristsmphotographers and mountain junkies are still in bed. Her car fell about 150 feet into a grove of trees. You would almost have to know where she was to spot the car. I haven't heard where she was going, but I'm pretty sure she knew the road and the risks.

fresnoboone Howard May 22 2014 at 9:03 PM

Now read the article, dumbass. The COPS DID NOT LOOK FOR HER. AT ALL.

Flag +1 rate up
alspoolhall May 22 2014 at 2:37 PM

This happens more than you think and every time I see a story in the news about a person not being found for days, I get annoyed. Since I travel alone sometimes, I've told my family to route check and if on a highway, to go past at least one extra entry/exit because people sometimes overshoot that especially at night. But if not sure of the actual route, you need to drive it and do extra work to figure it out. Police departments too often pooh pooh it saying "they're an adult and can do what they want." Really?

sulandherb alspoolhall May 22 2014 at 6:50 PM

especially since she had children waiting on her. Didn't they find it suspicious that she didn't pick them up at school?

ChingOW Mango sulandherb May 22 2014 at 7:41 PM

My first thoughts would have been - maybe she was kidnapped on a parking lot or her car stolen and her killed - or she was in an accident - anything but well - we'll just wait and see! I don't get it - maybe she didn't have to lose her feet had anyone cared enough. Disgusting

Flag +4 rate up
chris_nevling sulandherb May 22 2014 at 7:43 PM

Thank you. Words of wisdom.

Flag 0 rate up
ChingOW Mango alspoolhall May 22 2014 at 7:42 PM

Good for you and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Too many people just seem not to care or as if everything is too much trouble!

ChingOW Mango May 22 2014 at 7:36 PM

So in other words - maybe this woman could have been rescued and found BUT she was an adult and probably just - WHAT - TOOK OFF TO HAVE A FLING - be the run away mom - sure this has happened before - but how do these fools know without looking! And why didn't family and friends go looking for her - surely someone knew where she was that day and could have back tracked on the roads. Thank god she is alive - what a horror to have you limbs removed. Just makes you wonder. Disgusting. Same applies to teens who are missing and the parents get the 24 or 48 hour rule - what a waste of a life - reminds me again of the 3 women in Cleveland. We need to come up with a better plan.

junior ChingOW Mango May 22 2014 at 8:25 PM

Worse yet, could have been like Jaycee Dugard when the police were told where she was and were too lazy to even go into the backyard to look.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal