Millions of bees swarm, close Del. highway ramp

Millions Of Bees Swarm Delaware Highway
NEWARK, Del. (AP) - As many as 20 million swarming bees released after a tractor-trailer hauling them overturned near Newark Tuesday have shut down a highway ramp and kept investigators from getting near the vehicle, said Delaware State Police, who urged drivers to stay away from the area.

The tractor-trailer fell on its side about 6:10 p.m. on a curve on a ramp from Route 896 to Interstate 95, said state police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack.

The rig, traveling from Florida to Maine, carried 460 crated hives, or an estimated 16 million to 20 million honeybees.

The driver and two passengers were able to get out of the vehicle, but were stung 50 to 100 times each, troopers said. They also suffered minor injuries in the crash and were taken to Christiana Hospital.

Shavack said there were reports of passers-by being stung.

State police have had an official honeybee swarm removal plan for 14 years and this is the first time they used it, Shavack said.

Shavack says three on-call bee handlers were sent to the scene and they are working with firefighters to spray water on the insects, the crates and the truck.

"There's no rounding them up," Shavack said of the bees. "The water will disperse and calm the bee activity."

He said he hopes once the bee situation is mitigated, troopers will be able to right the truck, move it and reopen the ramp to traffic.

Matt Sumner May 20 2014 at 11:11 PM

Such a shame. We really need these bees. 460 hives is a lot when CCD is knocking the natural hives out left and right. Hopefully not all the crates broke open and the ones flying can swarm to nearby trees.

CAD Atlanta May 21 2014 at 10:45 AM

I blame Obama! Actually I blame everything on Obama! When my minimum wage earner working at McDonalds demands $15 per hour living wage, and my skilled worker wages do not go up the equivalent, and my MdDonald's lunch combo which is $5.00 climbs to $8.50 who do I blame? Obama! And now that my employer quit paying my health insurance and Obama burdens me with that cost too, and am not eligible for the Obama subsidy, it actually costs me to go to work...and so I blame Obama! Heck, I could sit at home and benefit more using unemployment, an EBT card, get assistance with my utilities, and free healthcare, so why should I even try to better myself? Now, who is going to cut your grass, pick up your trash, repair your heating/cooling system or work on your car? Not me. I will be sitting at home, watching Oprah and Jerry Springer until I get the call on my Obamaphone to come on down and rally for an increase in my unemployment check and EBT allowance.

Cindy May 21 2014 at 7:06 AM

Bee it ever so humble, there's no place like comb.

dccb3 May 21 2014 at 7:57 AM

Albert Einstein stated that if all of the honey bees died all mankind would die in four years.

welcome timothy May 20 2014 at 11:15 PM

Stop forced pollinization. This sory illustrates a tiny ramification of the bigger problem forced pollinization has on our communities. We are creating an anemic gene pool of bees when we force pollenate. Think about it: No swarming, no selection of a queen bee, no invasion of bees by intruders, no elimination of bees during the winter months, through starvation or cold temperatures, what you get is a forced selection of sickly bees that are unable to handle the adverse changing environment, and this is why colony collapse occurs. Sure there are mites, and pesticides that have a part in colony collapse but if you just let the bees live more freely those mites and pesticides wouldn't matter, there would be a natural selection against those adverse environmental factors.

Shari May 21 2014 at 12:23 AM

Very sad.

chuzraymond May 21 2014 at 8:16 PM

What is not mentioned is the extreme decline of the ramp followed by the sharp turn where the truck tipped over. I've been wondering for years why it was ever designed that way, and it's no wonder it doesn't happen more often.

fred May 21 2014 at 7:01 AM

More to blame on global cooling/warming/climate change/(insert latest nut buzzword here)- call Phony Al to make a scare movie out of this.......:)

JOEM May 21 2014 at 10:38 AM

Well with the shortage of bees for polination it's better for our surrounding areas then in Maine. BE CAREFUL DRIVERS

cqdeed JOEM May 21 2014 at 11:29 PM

They won't do much pollinating in the surrounding areas unless their hives are set up there and the bees find their way back to their home hive. I suspect the hives were on their way to Maine to pollinate the blueberry crops there. The hives are moved from place to place because so much of our produce are grown in monocultures. The bees cannot live year round in a monoculture environment and very little excess honey is produced by the bees shipped around the country because the bees are still eating while they are being moved but not out collecting necter.

polfpilf May 21 2014 at 6:32 PM

Beeautiful bee's beecame beeraggled beecause _______?

jimsoutdoor polfpilf May 21 2014 at 6:54 PM

beeing bees beeats beeing_________?

Jerry jimsoutdoor May 21 2014 at 7:26 PM