15-year-old is a cooking prodigy

Meet 15-Year-Old Chef Flynn McGarry

Most 15-year-olds would be lucky to know what they want to do with their lives, let alone to be doing it already. But one 15-year-old is already well on his way to becoming a renowned chef.

That was Flynn McGarry from California, making a sous vide duck breast wrapped in nori -- just one of the many extravagant dishes the teenager is capable of making.

According to his website, "Dining With Flynn," McGarry first began cooking when he was 10 and served his dishes to his mother's friends. By 13, he had taken on a "sous vide" cooking style, which is a
"method of cooking food slowly in a vacuum-sealed pouch at a low temperature."

The young chef has been profiled in The New York Times Magazine, which did a feature story introducing McGarry and his supper club, Eureka.

Eureka started as a supper club in his parents' home, but eventually grew into a pop-up restaurant that serves eight to ten courses.

According to Gothamist, Creative Edge Parties hosted Eureka for a two night pop-up in late May. The eight-course tasting menu was $150 per person, not including the $60 wine pairing.

Not everyone is so impressed. In a column featured on Eater, New York City chef Amanda Cohen said: "My problem is the fetishization of chefs. ... Maybe he'll be a talented chef. ... But so what? Because the fact is ... he's making dinner."

But McGarry told CBS he doesn't worry about the haters.

"When someone comes and wants it to be bad and leaves happy - that's like you've completely flipped their opinion with your talent. And that's kind of, like, a very - something you don't see that often."

McGarry plans to open his own restaurant in New York by the time he's 19.

Weshusky May 21 2014 at 7:27 AM

Well I see the first 4 posts in here are from a bunch of whining losers.
The kid is talented.

dickn2000b Weshusky May 21 2014 at 12:38 PM

Putting food into a plastic bag and boiling it isn't all that hard to do. I should know, I'm a graduate of the Cordon Bleu.

d1anaw Weshusky May 21 2014 at 2:54 PM

What's the matter, not getting enough attention? This is at least the second or third time you've "had" to tell us about being a "graduate of Cordon Bleu" I suspect base on your snide comments that you didn't make it as a pro. Engineer or not, you clearly have an issue with someone who made it when you didn't.

jz.zjaaerw d1anaw May 21 2014 at 3:20 PM

hahahaha!!! True. I can't beleive so many people are putting this kid down. It so say soooo much more about the person who does that than about the article itself. dickn2000b ... pretty sure your post full of gradiose 'LOOK AT ME' is full of lies. Most posters who says they ARE more, HAVE more, are usually lying. Those who remain happy about others gifts, good fortune, are usually happy in their own lives. I suggest you find more books to publish, more schools to attend, perhaps one day you will be happy.

Flag +2 rate up
bchbum63 May 21 2014 at 9:19 AM

Amanda Cohen sounds a tad jealous. The statement she made could also be applied to herself.

judiwth bchbum63 May 21 2014 at 11:15 AM

I didn't take Cohen's comment that way. I am a chef and have seen the appreciation of wonderfully prepared food erode into an expectation of bells and whistles with every meal. Our need to be entertained in every aspect of our lives is a little tiring. And it diminishes the act of nourishing our bodies as it is applied to the food industry. Meals that are healthy, beautiful and shared with good company stand on their own merit. And sous vide is just another cooking method, nothing more or less...the method isn't magic because it can be accomplished without that little $5000 machine...it's misunderstood by many and therein lies the appeal. I made some wide-brush observations here...I'm not talking about everyone and every chef...just many.

Cyberwiz judiwth May 21 2014 at 11:35 AM

Still, why not a few words of ENCOURAGEMENT for a young person with ambition?

Flag +7 rate up
bchbum63 judiwth May 21 2014 at 4:45 PM

You're the only one who didn't take them as an insult. Why say anything negative, especially when dealing with a child who is working towards something.

Ms. Cohen needs to work on her own character before insulting a child.

Flag +1 rate up
Angela9 May 21 2014 at 8:12 AM

Happy to hear of such a talented young person. It should be lesson in following your dreams. This is what is great in America. IF you want to be a success then all the opportunities are there. Don't let anyone stop you from going after what you desire in life. Just do it! Good for this young man that is an inspiration.

Susan Angela9 May 21 2014 at 2:52 PM

Off the top of my head, I can think of 10 other nations where that would work. We are not special in that respect. However, I agree that the kid deserves encouragement.

wilmaflintstone Susan May 21 2014 at 3:17 PM

If you do not think the Country is special, you must be an Oblamer loving lib. He does not like this country either.

Flag 0 rate up
BARRY AND KATHY Susan May 21 2014 at 4:25 PM

Off the top of my head, I can think of ten nations where that amount of money would feed 100 people for well over a month.

Flag 0 rate up
d1anaw May 21 2014 at 1:41 PM

I applaud that this kid has found his calling. It might help him stay focused when many of his contemporaries are behaving like idiots. There isn't however, a meal out there, that I am willing to pay $150 for by any chef in any restaurant.

fay38 May 21 2014 at 9:04 AM

That's great. Kids are not allowed to do enough these days. When my g-g-g-grandfather was 15, he crossed the Atlantic from France to US alone. He, started a ship designing and building firm, made a fortune, married, reared seven children ,,, Why not?

Too many "protective" laws get in our way these days.

rockymtnhikerCo fay38 May 21 2014 at 4:04 PM

fay,see your doctor,you can fix your s-s-s-stutter,,,joking

Emily Fravel fay38 May 22 2014 at 8:27 AM

My 8 year old makes a killer meatloaf and created his own sloppy joe recipe. He loves to cook, can use sharp knives with minimal supervision and has been able to take his his meals out of the oven for a few months now (hey, he's short, we'll cut him some slack). We don't all treat our kids like they're made of glass.

mclkarim May 21 2014 at 11:07 AM

I think it is great that this kid knows what he wants to do at his age. How many of us can say that?

Dan May 21 2014 at 8:52 AM

Of course he must have adult assistance only because it's probably not legal for a minor to be serving wine. However with such amazing talent at a young age, this lad should surely have a great future. ☺

ga7smi Dan May 21 2014 at 10:43 AM

not legal to cook either

rwilliamhoward ga7smi May 21 2014 at 11:54 AM

The adult assistant could be his 'Go Fer' person. Never heard that there was an age limit on cooking! If there is, it needs to be repealed. A young person CAN or CANNOT. If he cannot, he'll soon find out! I've run into 'pro' 'cheffs' who could NOT.

Flag +1 rate up
ibeyour1 ga7smi May 21 2014 at 12:40 PM

Really? Just what is the legal age to cook? Better shut down all the fast food places!

Flag +1 rate up
frankieboy26 Dan May 21 2014 at 1:27 PM

I'm glad this young man is perfecting his craft at such a young age. But one thing I'm not sure about. The article said he prepared food in his home for his mom's friends, calling it a supper club. Doesn't the Board Of Health have to inspect kitchens that serve to the public? I know someone (an adult) who is a fabulous cook who wanted to start a small business by preparing dinners -- from soup to nuts -- at home and catering in peoples' homes but was told that he couldn't cook in his own kitchen because the Board of Health would not pass an in-home kitchen for public use.

oujoou May 21 2014 at 9:12 AM

'Sous vide.' The things I've seen in cook books about that expensive machine. :) Thomas Keller's cookbook comes to mind. You cook veggies with that technique . . . they look like they are blushing when they're on your plate. A kid who grasps that is far out there. I generally don't think much of talented kids . . . because I don't like the thought of people maxing out their abilities as teens . . .but this is a very very simple and beautiful expression of cooking. :) If the kid were like juggling woks and umm . .cast iron pans . . .and putting on dicing and slicing exhibitions at school . . AND had a role model like Emeril . . . I'd be horrified. But I imagine that THAT is what people would want from a gifted kid 'cook' . . . someone they could simultaneously applaud and laugh at. Wow. Sous vide. This kid is probably talented at a lot of things. :)

RandyDuke May 21 2014 at 11:32 AM

Flynn has the Talent and Motivation for what he Loves to do, As a Chef and Cook Book Author Myself, I see no reason for the Jealousy of other Chef's, As I said in my books and a quote that I live by, You have a passion for something Go for it, Prove it to yourself that you can do it.

Randy R Duke

rich May 21 2014 at 8:25 PM

The feds crack down on kids lemonade stands, yet this kid can have a restaurant?