Woods: Surgery erased doubts, no date for return

Tiger: No Timetable For Return

BETHESDA, Md. (AP) -- Tiger Woods says his back injury was so debilitating that it caused him to doubt whether he would play golf again.

Woods said Monday that the surgery he had March 31 erased those doubts, although he still has no timetable for his return.

Woods said before the surgery he had trouble just getting out of bed.

Said Woods: "I was certainly doubtful at that point. What's it going to feel like? Am I going to be pain-free? Am I going to be able to actually do this again, where I'm able to get out of bed, play with my kids and play golf?"

Speaking at the media day for the Quicken Loans National, Woods says he's now excited about playing again, although he's still restricted to chipping and putting.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

jlk53 May 20 2014 at 12:08 AM

No matter what you think of him personally Tiger Woods has done tremendous things for golf. I played the game and watched him play and was awed at the shots he was able to perform. The sport is not the same without him and until another Tiger comes along, golf will only be the same as it was before he entered the competitions. I love the game but he made it extraordinary. Before he entered the scene most people said golf was boring and slow but he showed everyone what hard work and exceptional talent could bring to the game. I miss him a lot. Every time he approached the ball you wondered what magic his swing would provide. For a few blessed years he made us feel lucky to have witnessed his genius. The announcers were not demeaning the other golfers - only confirming that Tiger added an element to the game that hasn't been present since he started having physical problems. The crowds show up hoping that they'll see another golfer like him. They won't for a long time.

browser777 jlk53 May 20 2014 at 12:13 AM

Ask me what I think of him and I will be glad to tell you sometime!

ferrariqx browser777 May 20 2014 at 1:46 AM

No one.... I'll repeat.... no one...... gives a rats ass what you think of him. I doubt Tiger does either.

Flag +4 rate up
eurocardriver000 jlk53 May 20 2014 at 6:45 AM

Hey JLK53, your post was a riot LMFAO !!!! Eldrick is a waste... get over it loser.

Polly May 19 2014 at 3:38 PM

Though I hated what Tiger did to his wife and family and all the running around with all those other women, I still miss seeing him on the golf course. It isn't as exciting when he isn't there doing his best as usual. Just seeing him do mediocre golf is not so interesting. He needs to be back at the top of his game.

bailey.willie May 19 2014 at 6:57 PM

GOLF IS MUCH BETTER WITHOUT HIM. I HOPE HE DOESN'T RETURN. IT'S MORE INJOYABLE WITH ALL THE NEW FACES. RETIRE

Pinot Man May 19 2014 at 6:46 PM

TAKE YOUR TIME TIGER WE DO MISS SEEING YOU WE WANT YOU HEALTHY WHEN YOU RETURN! AND THANKS FOR ALL OF THE DONATIONS YOU HAVE MADE FOR THE KIDS IN ORANGE COUNTY CA.

eurocardriver000 Pinot Man May 19 2014 at 9:13 PM

Oh please... LMAO I bet you say the same to Obama LOL

ernest May 19 2014 at 5:06 PM

None of the older golfer's could hit a 6 iron 226 yards out of a sand trap across a pond onto the green.... He was able to do this when he was a skinny 17 year old...It's all about the swing, the torque, the hip and knee drive that gave him that power and ultimately damaged his knees and back....He was the first to dedicate himself to the gym and strengh... The young guns today are doing the same and most of them hit it farther than the old guys did...Yes, he cheated on his wife and paid her a cool $120.000.000, He's not the first and won't be the last...Many of you who hate on him probably have too. His ex wife has move on to the next fat wallet, maybe most of you should too...

rb ernest May 19 2014 at 5:17 PM

Tiger is/was the best golfer ever. Doubtful that he will beat Nicklaus' record of 18 majors though. As far as people disliking Tiger, fans didn't like Nicklaus when he was in his prime either. Tiger wasn't the first to dedicate himself to the gym and strength. Gary Player was working out 50 years ago.

alspoolhall ernest May 19 2014 at 5:34 PM

What the frig? Ernest! You took a swipe at Tiger's wife . . . "moved on to the next fat wallet" . . . No it isn't Tiger that we hate (well maybe a little bit) but it is the likes of YOU that we hate. Stuff it little man, stuff it. Loser.

Vic May 19 2014 at 10:27 PM

To all you haters. If it wasn't for Tiger golf would haved tanked in viewership a long time ago. The reason there are so many great golfers today is because they need to be in great shape and stay in great shape and that's because of Tiger work out methods.

navy85736usnret Vic May 20 2014 at 12:39 PM

Wrong

gkokali May 19 2014 at 6:53 PM

Tiger, you are the greatest, you have done more for this sport than any other living golfer; you brought excitement to the game thank you so much .

FIESTA & SIESTA May 20 2014 at 12:34 AM

OK I could make some great comments about Tiger saying he had trouble getting out of bed! Too easy. I just want to wish Tiger Woods well and I look forward to see him playing in tournaments soon! Best of luck to you Tiger - that kind of pain is unbearable!

Sir Said May 19 2014 at 4:51 PM

well Dick, you sure have the right name

kmitnck0405 May 19 2014 at 7:26 PM

With this time off he can return to his "other" 18 holes........

naojf22936 kmitnck0405 May 19 2014 at 7:48 PM

All ignorance does is....talk. No substance in ignorance at all.