Family returns to home destroyed by wildfire, gets amazing surprise

Family Returns to Home Destroyed by Wildfire, Gets Incredible Surprise

CARLSBAD, Calif. – A family returned to their Carlsbad home to find it completely destroyed by a wildfire Wednesday, but all they were doing was smiling, Fox5 San Diego reports.

Anya Bannash's family was evacuated from their Carlsbad home on the 5900 block of Black Rail Road Wednesday morning after a wildfire tore through the canyons.

Fox 5's cameras were rolling as the fire torched the two-story home.

When Bannash's family was allowed to return to the neighborhood in the afternoon and they stood watching the remaining structure smoldering. T o their surprise, their dog "Rocky" came running out from bushes and into their arms.

"[Our house is full of] materials we can eventually get again, but as far as our family and pets –- you can't just come up with another Rocky or family," Rocky's owner told Fox5.

Rocky suffered burns to his backside.

Photos from the devastating wildfires:

simplespirit1 May 19 2014 at 8:11 PM

Really? How can you applaud these people??? They LEFT THEIR DOG BEHIND. Despicable ~ not a wonderful reunion. That dog should be adopted to a family that would NEVER leave it!!!

Sherry May 19 2014 at 11:03 PM

Why did they leave Rocky behind???

kimcrdr May 19 2014 at 5:39 PM

really glad they got their dog back but why in the world did they not take it with them to begin with? glad the dog survived!!

HEIDE May 19 2014 at 5:34 PM

When we were robbed during broad daylight and I came home and saw that they did not harm my dog, that was my silver lining to my cloud. I would never left my pet behind in any catastrophe.

torriebob May 19 2014 at 4:23 PM

The family didn't leave their dog. The fires started while they were away and they were not allowed to go back to get him.

Julie Hartwell May 19 2014 at 9:23 PM

So you dress upscale, you look devine and you cannot take your dog with you? What kind of selfish people are you?

falling rain May 19 2014 at 8:27 PM

MOST ANIMALS CAN TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES IN A CRISIS. IT WAS SMART OF THE DOG TO RETURN HOME, HE KNEW HE WAS LOVED AND SOMEONE WILL RETURN TO FIND HIM.

ndtohvfun falling rain May 20 2014 at 1:02 PM

really? most animals perish...fortunately Rocky was lucky i would NEVER leave my furbabies behind...screw the clothes and jewelry they are replaceable the animals are not

sharon May 19 2014 at 8:03 PM

We had a brush fire in the field next to our home, I hyelled for my husband and then called 911, ran and got my van and backed it up against the house found my two pets and just threw them into the van and shut the door then I went back into our home and found our deed, insurance policy and some pictures and threw them in the van and then moved the cehicle from my home to the road and between he and I we were able to man the waterhoses one for the fire in the field and the other for our home, the house was saved as for our pets they too survived but sometimes we cannot do as I was able to do and it is not that we would ahve left our pets to die it would be more like we just could not get to them, most animals when panicked will hide out in the house and time is of the essence and sometimes they cannot be found, in that case leave the doors open and pray for the best. These people did not do this on purpose and until anyone can put them in their shoes please do not point the finger.

loveeurope2 sharon May 19 2014 at 9:58 PM

I lived in the San Diego area for 9 years and was twice on evacuation watch for the wildfires. My cats stayed in the house on these days with crates waiting for them. My important papers were packed, together with a small suitcase. When the evac came I was immediately ready. This are the same people who have no idea how to prepare or react when a major earthquake hits. Irresponsible.

ralpers476 May 20 2014 at 3:44 AM

What scumbags would EVER leave their home without their pets!!!!! I would burn in my home with my pets before I would ever leave without them!

Joan Zawacki ralpers476 May 20 2014 at 5:28 AM

They are dogs not humans and there are too many of them.

brunie65 Joan Zawacki May 20 2014 at 6:17 AM

You, Joan, are very obviously someone who has never had a beloved companion dog, or you are someone who considers them mere property (like a bookshelf or a sofa). The reason "there are too many of them." is because irresponsible owners who do consider them mere property keep breeding them to make money, and people keep buying them instead of adopting one of the 4,000,000 dogs that are euthanized in the US each year. Get a grip. There is no way you could ever understand the tight & emotional bond between most people and their dogs.

Flag +12 rate up
lovegoldens4 Joan Zawacki May 20 2014 at 5:33 PM

Then join the spay and neuter drive. It''s your tax dollars that are being spent by supporting the shelters. But don't criticize anyone for loving a pet just because you can't.

Flag +1 rate up
onetuffkitty May 20 2014 at 12:43 AM

She didn't forget to take her pretty yellow dress and her Jewelry.. Who leaves their Dog to die in a fire and then pretends to be loving owners when the Dog surprisingly survives.sp
How sad that the Dog still loves them even though they left it to die. Again proof that humans are the true animals.

World Series