Chipotle: Don't bring guns in our stores

By Candice Choi

NEW YORK (AP) - Chipotle is asking customers not to bring firearms into its stores after it says gun rights advocates brought military-style assault rifles into one of its restaurants in Texas.

The Denver-based company notes that it has traditionally complied with local laws regarding open and concealed firearms.

But in a statement Monday, the company said that "the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers."

The announcement came after a petition by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which has called on other companies to ban firearms in their stores as well. The group said its petition was in reaction to open-carry gun activists appearing at a Dallas-area Chipotle restaurant over the weekend.

Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman for the group, said she thought the move by Chipotle was a "bold statement," especially considering its previous stance of complying with local laws.

Many states allow people to carry licensed guns in some way, but some businesses exercise their right to ban firearms.

A Chipotle spokesman didn't immediately respond when asked if the company's request was an outright ban, or how it would respond if people continued to bring firearms into its restaurants.

Last year, Starbucks Corp. also told customers that guns were no longer welcome in its cafes after it had to temporarily close a store in Newtown, Connecticut, to avoid a demonstration by gun rights advocates. The company said it shut down the store out of respect for the community, where 20 school children and six educators had been slain.

The Seattle-based coffee chain stopped short of a ban, however, saying it didn't want to put its workers in the position of having to ask people carrying guns to leave its stores. Its carefully worded decision also underscored how major companies need to walk a fine line on highly divisive political issues.

Likewise, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. noted in its statement that "there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue." It said it hoped that customers who oppose carrying guns in public agree that "it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area."

tanpod May 20 2014 at 9:03 AM

I have a CCL in Illinois and am a personal defense advocate. That being said, I think it is an embarrassment to me and other gun owners how some people have to be so bold with their firearms as to intimidate people and bait the police by what I believe is over doing it in exercising their gun rights.

dave122349 May 19 2014 at 10:31 PM

Those type of knuckleheads that carry those types of weapons around do more to hurt gun advocates than help. I am a NRA member but those guys are idiots.

Susan May 19 2014 at 11:04 PM

Truthfully if a bunch of men or ladies came into a fast food chain or restaurant I was eating in, carrying loads of firearms I would be uncomfortable as well. I don't know their intentions or state of mind. I don't want to eat with guns staring me down/

rogue2474 May 19 2014 at 9:15 PM

Good for Chipolte

Liz Borge rogue2474 May 20 2014 at 12:14 PM

I agree!

medic2731 May 20 2014 at 8:23 AM

Having to make a statement by carrying an assault weapon, or in some cases, just a long gun, into a store, restaurant, public place just because you can is asinine. Carrying for a reason of protection is one things. Otherwise, it is just a legal way to display your balls on the outside. As has been stated in earlier comments, I carry legally, and you will never know it unless you do something to put me in immediate fear of my safety, in which case you will find out very quickly. Please do all gun supporters a favor, leave the rifles and shotguns at home. You are just showing off at this point. Guns are supposed to be for adults. Act like it!

canoehikebike May 20 2014 at 6:52 AM

You are severly mentally challenged if you believe you need an assault
weapon in a church, school, bar, airport, government building,
& a restaurant.

leslieskeans May 20 2014 at 9:12 AM

Shhhhh these idiots have not yet learned that every time they have one of these "gun rights" days at a specific location they end up being banned. You don't need to advertise your CC right by strapping on an automatic weapon to buy a burrito. Dummies.

mentalimagry leslieskeans May 20 2014 at 9:32 AM

Semi-automatic. Dummy.

cmck004 leslieskeans May 20 2014 at 9:45 AM

CC and long gun rights are not one in the same, Very difficult to conceal a long gun

valgaavmiko May 20 2014 at 4:45 AM

Shame on Chiptole. The only customers doing anything wrong were the ones complaining about people merely exercising their legal right. The only people that are afraid of people carrying guns are those that are ignorant as you can see in many of the comments. By the way "military style" is just a change in hardware to plastic. It has nothing to do with the capability of the guns and the rhetoric that keeps throwing "military style" and "assault" around for guns that don't even fit those classifications is just fear mongering. The uneducated really take the bait, too.

bgr200 May 20 2014 at 10:33 AM

I don't know about the food but someone with an assault rifle sitting next to me when I'm trying to eat would give me indigestion

timothykunkle May 20 2014 at 10:05 AM

another estabishlment to not get my business

SUSAN NAGLE timothykunkle May 20 2014 at 11:27 AM

ok bye bye dont want you next to me there anyway!!! PLEASE go somewhere else maybe back in time 250 years and carry your little security blanket all around the town

World Series