California Chrome cleared to wear nasal strip

California Chrome Can Wear Nasal Strip

By RICK FREEMAN
AP Sports Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- California Chrome can breathe easy - he may wear a nasal strip when he goes for the Triple Crown in the Belmont Stakes.

Belmont Park stewards cleared the horse Monday to use the strip he wore while winning the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

New York tracks have a rule prohibiting any equipment not specifically approved by stewards, and nasal strips were not on the list.

A statement from the New York Racing Association and the state's Gaming Commission says three stewards unanimously gave approval.

The strip worn by California Chrome during his six-race winning streak is thought to improve airflow through his nostrils. That will come in handy during the Belmont's grueling 1 1/2 miles on June 7.

© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

gway1958 May 19 2014 at 1:11 PM

Go Chrome

louisecan2 May 19 2014 at 4:23 PM

This is the best decision NY could of made since they are the only state left who doesn't allow it. He is a beautiful animal, I hope he wins..good luck to the jockey and the owners! Never really got that interested in horse racing until now..nice break from all the bad news!

PAULINE louisecan2 May 19 2014 at 4:29 PM

have nasal strips ever been used before? I have never heard of this before.

Rodney W Ross Jr May 19 2014 at 1:16 PM

I'm glad they made this decision, I want to see a Triple Crown winner. However, without ruling as they did, Bye, Bye to sponsors, TV viewership and the Crown. I wonder if they would have madr the same ruling without a TC possibility?

BigPugMama Rodney W Ross Jr May 19 2014 at 2:04 PM

I wonder that too,,,,,

smitchell1015 May 19 2014 at 4:05 PM

Yayyyy! Glad that was cleared! I would love to see this animal win the triple!! Has not happened since 1978....

tnfino4me May 19 2014 at 4:08 PM

Gooooo Chrome! So excited to see this animal run! I wish him and his team all the best! Beautiful horse!

jpfmtka tnfino4me May 19 2014 at 4:15 PM

The Belmont is "a lot of track", but our wishes are for him and his team!

Anne Kelderhouse May 19 2014 at 12:44 PM

Yay! Have never met this horse but love him! Since I have some breathing problems with exertion myself, i certainly understand why CC would need this strip to help! Go!!!

biker82112 May 19 2014 at 3:05 PM

How ironic If CC should win by a nose.

Rod biker82112 May 19 2014 at 3:20 PM

Good one but I think he'll win by more than a nose --oh yeah, Commanding Curve has same initials so be careful - lol !

HEIDE May 19 2014 at 12:57 PM

Go California Chrome!!! I so loved Barbaros. I hope CC will stay safe. I so wish for him and the owners that he will win the Triple Crown

Hello Bill May 19 2014 at 2:25 PM

Is that a Beautiful Animal or What....Just Stunning!

polfpilf May 19 2014 at 11:05 PM

This is simply progess in the sport, most athletes today wear the strip. Can you imagine if baseball still had the same glove as the early 1900's LOL. For that matter can you imagine if horse racing had the same tack, shoes vitamins and feed and medical programs as early 1900, s......LOL again! The changes in those areas are huge! Race model T's then drive your Viper home! GET A STRIP FOR YOUR HORSE ! if you think it will help. Quit crying about it ! Man up ! It appears as though a bunch of sore loser lawyers are into horses and betting! Accept reality! California Chrome is an awsome horse that will more than likely win the triple crown. This is a racetrack not the courtroom. California Chrome is a blue collar horse, lots of people in high society cant handle that and it's got them scrambling.

orion15stars polfpilf May 20 2014 at 12:23 AM

Lack of integrity of horse racing is certainly real "progress". It the horse can't naturally win, that is lack of integrity on the part of humans. 11 Triple Crown winners since 1919, and not one of those winners had to wear a nostril patch to artificially assist any breathing of horses on the race track.

caveat1983 polfpilf May 20 2014 at 1:04 AM

I think the PETA minnions are running amok again. They have a bee in their bonnet because horse racing is getting positive attention about a possible triple crown. They can't stand it.

Elizabeth caveat1983 May 20 2014 at 4:43 AM

Yes, they are. PETA would prefer to see every animal dead - it seems to be their primary goal. They also are very prone to lying about nearly everything.

Flag 0 rate up