Calif. mom accused of assaulting daughter's bully

May. 19, 2014 1:20 AM EDT

Police: Mom Assaulted Daughter's Alleged Bully

SANTA ROSA, Calif. (AP) - A Northern California woman is facing charges that she grabbed a 12-year-old boy by the throat while confronting him about bullying her daughter, authorities said Sunday.

Delia Garcia-Bratcher, 30, of Santa Rosa came to an elementary school around lunchtime Friday and asked her son, who also attends the school, to point out her daughter's alleged tormentor, the Sonoma County Sheriff's office said in a statement.

The mother grabbed the boy by the throat in front of a number of children, the statement said.

No adult saw the confrontation, and Garcia-Bratcher apparently had not checked in with the school office before coming on campus, authorities said.

The young witnesses later told a deputy the mother threatened the boy about bullying her daughter. The staff at Olivet Charter Elementary School took photos of red marks on the boy's neck as soon as they learned about the alleged assault, authorities said.

Garcia-Bratcher was arrested on a charge of felony child abuse. She was released from jail after posting a $30,000 bail.

A telephone number for a Delia Bratcher was disconnected. But on a Facebook page that said it belonged to Bratcher, she posted that she was hurt by the accusation and asserted that "the truth will be told."

Hot Momma Pajama May 19 2014 at 1:25 PM

Note to Schools, start taking action on your own and do something about bullies or this is going to be a familiar story in the news. Children shouldn't have to be afraid to attend school and especially when it is a boy bullying a girl!

Joan Lloyd Grans Hot Momma Pajama May 19 2014 at 2:13 PM

TOTALLY AGREE.....THESE SCHOOLS ARE JUST MESSING AROUND AND BEING PAID TO DO SO.

fpl520 May 19 2014 at 12:49 PM

if they put the mother on trial and I'm on the jury she's going home - free

Dauria May 19 2014 at 12:15 PM

When my son was in middle school, a bully walked up to my son who was sitting at his desk and hit my son as hard as he could Iin the face. The teacher did NOTHING. When my son told me this, I told him if it happens again and the teacher does nothing, make the bully REMEMBER you. I instructed him to grab him by his collar and hit him squarely in the nose as hard as he could. Well the bully tried it again, and again, the teacher did NOTHING, my son laid into the brat. Well, I got a phone call from the school threatening to send MY son, the victim of this crap to a school for troubled kids. I asked them "What are you planning for the perp?" ....crickets.. I told them (School Sewer System, if they can't protect our kids, they'd better put a chair with my name on it in their admin office. Parents, GROW A PAIR..DEMAND that something is done so our kids aren't afraid of the classroom.

goarmyman75csh May 19 2014 at 2:54 PM

I love this Mom. Protect your kids, an eye for an eye mentality. one commentor said just talk to the kid, the kid is a little turd who needs to be taught a life lesson. Better be glad I wont be on that jury.

Dee May 19 2014 at 4:52 PM

I am so sick of the bullying. If children were actually disciplined and if parents were ALLOWED to discipline their children all of this would end. If another parent yelled or disciplined my child I would wonder what my child did to provoke that....This is why the upcoming generation will be the destruction of this world not go after the parent

kimcrdr May 19 2014 at 5:09 PM

when the spankings stop and there is no more discipline the bullies will rise, back in the day when a child did something wrong whether it was hitting or being mouthy there was a simple solution, a good spanking, Im not talking about a beating but a good whooping would go a very long way!! Kudos to this mom, I really hate she was arrested!

John May 19 2014 at 4:29 PM

Now the poor woman is in trouble and the little Bas____ is laughing his butt off. It is a shame that schools don't protect children against bullying Bas____s like this boy. Instead the poor woman is in trouble for protecting her child. This is WRONG.

doodlebug2002stacie John May 19 2014 at 5:09 PM

No it is Right

adhocal doodlebug2002stacie May 19 2014 at 5:34 PM

No it is Wrong...so there

Flag +1 rate up
Debbie May 19 2014 at 2:51 PM

Listen if the mother took matters in her own hands that means that the school fell threw along with everything else...I don't blame the mother for doing that to any kid that does bullying...teachers don't stop it in the class or during the time you go into the hall going to different classes...the bully's take their chances and goes at the other kids. I know...I use to be bullied...all I wanted was to be left alone. I was the different one...and no I didn't tell my parents because I was ashamed that it was being done to me. I talked to one of the bully years later and you know what she said...awww we didn't do that much...she still hasn't accepted that she was a bully and I can imagine what her kids are now.

f9f9 May 19 2014 at 2:47 PM

Often times, a school won't do anything when the victim or the parents report bullying. Some years ago at my son's elementary school, he was repeatedly getting beat up on campus during recess. I told him to report the incidents immediately to his teacher, which he did. But she just waved my son away and did nothing. When the attacks kept happening, I told my boy he had my permission to disregard the rules about no fighting and fight back the next time, since the school was not enforcing its rules. I also sent a letter to the principal informing them that my son had a legal right to self-defense in the absence of help from school officials. I got an apologetic phone call from the principal that day, the teacher was reprimanded and the bully was pulled out of school for counseling. He was also then suspended.

RJT99349 May 19 2014 at 10:40 AM

Way to go lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World Series