Google getting first 'right to be forgotten' requests

Google Getting First 'Right To Be Forgotten' Requests

Google is dealing with its first "right to be forgotten" requests since a European court made its ruling about privacy rights online less than a week ago.

ANCHOR: "You have a right to what others see on search engines like Google. According to the courts, your privacy is more important that public information."

USA Today reports many of the requests are coming from criminals who want links about past crimes they've committed removed from the search engine.

The BBC adds other people on that list of requests include an ex-politician trying to go back into office, a man who was convicted of possessing pictures of child abuse, and a doctor who wants bad reviews removed.

In a statement, Google said it could take several weeks to figure out how to remove information and determine what information falls under the new ruling.

According to The Telegraph, search engines are now required to remove information if someone from the EU asks for it to be removed and the search engine finds that information is no longer relevant.

CNN notes links involving both public figures and events deemed in the public interest cannot be removed as part of the ruling.

But now some are worrying the new ruling might not be specific enough. One marketing research group representative told Computerworld: "It's all left open to interpretation. They're basically tying Google and other search engines up in court for God knows how long."

So far, it's not clear exactly how the ruling will be implemented in the EU. NBC reports it's also unclear whether information removed in the EU would still be visible in other countries.

rleen96 May 18 2014 at 7:34 PM

Google, Facebook & all people search web sites should all be taken down. They
invade people's privacy without their consent making everyone vulnerable to all the
crazies in the world today as well as being open for identity theft. The courts &
government should shut them all down ASAP as the internet goes much too far today.
What ever happen to one's privacy!

CHAKARA rleen96 May 18 2014 at 10:14 PM

Well I agree FB is way to public, that is why I do not put anything in there, and set what security I can to avoid others from snooping... but Rleen96 you did give your consent when you clicked on I agree to the terms and conditions

Tom May 18 2014 at 7:12 PM

Google and Facebook should all be taken down with all the invasion of privacy they do to people. Personally I'd like to see the courts put a legal stranglehold on both of them.

rleen96 Tom May 18 2014 at 7:35 PM

couldn't agree with you more!

onewally Tom May 19 2014 at 2:09 AM

I'd like to see the courts put a legal stanglehold on people who post nonsense like this without thinking it through. VERY glad you aren't in a position to make laws.

Cindy May 18 2014 at 5:57 PM

Believe that any convicted criminal information should not be allowed to be removed in the interest of public safety

lenore418 Cindy May 18 2014 at 6:14 PM

I agree

Tom Cindy May 18 2014 at 7:07 PM

Agreed.

KCAOL May 18 2014 at 11:55 AM

Computers and cameras have stolen
our privacy as we once new it to be.

KCAOL KCAOL May 18 2014 at 12:04 PM

oooops, KNEW it to be

bizonly123 May 18 2014 at 6:13 PM

THIS IS ALL FAKE PEOPLE, THE SCUMBAGS THE RUN THESE PUBLIC SEARCH COMPANIES ARE MAKING BIG MONEY AND THEY DONT WANT THEIR MONEY FLOW STOPED... IF YOU NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT SOMEONE A SEARCH THRU POLICE AGENCY IS FAIR AND ACCURATE... DONT BE DECEIVED BY THESE SCUMBAG AGENCIES THAT HAVE CROPPED UP SELLING INFORMATION THAT 50 PERCENT OF THE TIME IS WRONG... SAY NO TO ONLINE SEARCH, KEEP YOUR RIGHTS AND PRIVACY... DONT BE DECEIVED...

Newquest May 18 2014 at 5:15 PM

Great idea whose time has come! Think of all the STUPID things you have said online! It should NEVER, EVER be allowed to stay FOREVER!! Not ever in history have people had to have things they said in anger, for fun, to be funny, mean, right, wrong, etc follow them around for the REST OF THEIR LIVES! No one could live up to that, it's too much fun to blabber on the internet and get carried away and ever lie and make things up. EVERYTHING ever written on the Internet by regular People should be erased forever. People change, grow up, get smart, get manners, want forgiveness, etc. Imagine something you said without thinking would be hooked on to you for the rest of your life? I see what my kids have said when harassed and teased and it's not who they are, just how they acted under stress. I'm not proud of some of the things I've said but I'm old and it won't really matter. Young people need a break. It's hard enough being a kid without your youthful foolishness following U.

d1anaw May 18 2014 at 4:28 PM

If you are a private citizen who has done nothing wrong, you are entitled to your privacy. If you have committed and been convicted of a crime, you are entitled to nothing. If you choose to make yourself a public figure, you make that choice. No one has to put themselves out there and they certainly have no problem doing so when making a name for themselves.

mehagens d1anaw May 18 2014 at 4:55 PM

go **** yourself *******,your one of the snoops

barbarianxx d1anaw May 18 2014 at 7:41 PM

yep

Sojourner May 18 2014 at 2:15 PM

Would love to see that law here in the states

magus47 May 18 2014 at 9:52 AM

Yeah, have you googled your name lately? People get worried about their privacy being invaded by the NSA? I found about 90% of the info required to steal your identity is on line FREE. In addition to my name, address, telephone number, and a MAP TO MY HOUSE, it also listed my sons GIRLFRIEND!!! For a few bucks I could dig deeper and get even MORE private information. I find it funny that AOL ran this artical as THEY SHILL FOR THESE PEOPLE. That's right. How many times have I seen this advertistment listed in AOL along with the news.

I wrote my congressman about this blatant invasion of privacy. He ignored it, of course, because violating a citizens privacy is OK if there is money to be made.

Judith magus47 May 18 2014 at 10:14 AM

I googled myself on the site you cited and found that half the information was incorrect and half was not. I contacted the company and informed them of that, stating that there was another person with my name in the same town, the same age I am, and that I have run into this kind of problem before when applying for a credit card (her credit is horrendous!). Apparently they had combined the information about her with the information about me. As they had no way of knowing which was which (I refused to correct the information) and I threatened them with a lawsuit, my name was removed (with apologies!) from their data base. Then I googled myself again a week later and I was not on that site or any other site. Lexis Nexis took care of that for me a long time ago. BTW - it's either an article or an advertisement on AOL but you described it as both. Well, it's not an article at all - it's an advertisement as stated very clearly in the photo that contains the link.

Veronica magus47 May 18 2014 at 10:45 AM

I Googled my previous address before we put the house on the market only to find ownership listed in SOMEONE ELSE'S NAME!

comtnluvr May 18 2014 at 10:52 PM

What bothers me is I pay for an unpublished phone number and yet have seen my phone number listed, in BIG NUMBERS in Google....even in a heading. It takes an act of Congress to get it removed and so far I've had no luck!

onewally comtnluvr May 19 2014 at 1:59 AM

I have a hard time believing you. Several years ago the phone companies and information aggregators decided to monetize that information (peoples' phone numbers). It is nearly impossible to find a number for anyone for free now. This had nothing to do with Google and everything to do with 3rd parties making money off that information. .