Research says swearing might actually be good for you

Research Says Swearing Might Actually Be Good For You

A new study has found swearing might actually ... be good for your health? Scientists argue that profanity is often used as a coping mechanism.

In the study from Keele University, participants were asked to play video games. And not the "let's all be friends and grow a garden" type, either. We mean aggressive video games. You know, the kinds that make you want to cuss! We've never felt like cursing while waiting for carrots to grow.

According to Daily Mail, the study's participants were asked to remember as many curse words or profanities they could before and after playing. Before, the players could only recall about seven. Afterward, it rose to eight.

"The video games made people feel more aggressive so their language became more emotional and they swore."

So Time says potty mouths can rejoice.

"Basically, they argue that profanity is often used as a coping mechanism and can help us feel more resilient." But one anchor on WJXT wasn't convinced:

"We should come up with some other way.
"That's just violent."

OK, actually, don't do that

eldo72 May 17 2014 at 11:22 AM

Sick Society!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marian May 17 2014 at 12:09 AM

This is a really very bad excuse for using profanity... I dont want to be around some who uses the F word all the time, or takes the Lord's name in vain....Why give permission for people to do it... There's other ways to let off steam.....

sido418 Marian May 17 2014 at 1:20 AM

what gives you the right to judge how someone talks? get your panties out of a bunch. I'm sure you're not perfect and have said stuff to let off steam before, geesh, usually the worst offenders are the people with your attitude.

sdowns1470 Marian May 17 2014 at 12:14 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. There are other ways to get your point across other than cussing. I hate cussing and will not tolerate that kind of language around me. Go talk to yourself in a room and calm down before going on a rampage at another person, you and the other person will be thankful later on. There is really no need to cuss, there are other words to use which are acceptable. I try to use darn or whatever I can think of.

One time my mom went on a tirade about something that fell. She cussed away for what seemed like hours, even though it was only a few minutes, it felt like forever. One time I got sick of it and told her will you quit cussing. She said no, I won't queen.

I just walked away and went into my room until she stopped. When she was done I told her what would grandpa say and so on. I have never once heard my grandfather swear. I get mighty sick of people using vulgar/abusive/hateful language. I really hate it when people use that kind of language around kids.

blo2thehead May 17 2014 at 9:49 AM

I was walking in the park one bright sunny Sunday afternoon, when I noticed a cute little girl out walking her dog. As she approached me on the path, she looked about 9 years old, all dressed up in her Sunday best, and her freshly scrubbed face, just gleaming with cutsiness. Tugging on her leash was a well groomed terrier.

As we met on the path, I greeted her, "Hi there, my, aren't you pretty today and what a fine looking dog you have."

"Thank you, sir" she said, "And what a nice day this is isn't it?"

"Yes it is" I answered, "My, what a polite little girl you are, and what a pretty dress you're wearing."

"Oh, thank you, sir. My mother taught me to always be polite and she made this dress for me, isn't it pretty?" she said with a beaming smile.

"Yes, very pretty" I answered, "By the way, what's your dog's name?"

"Oh, sir, my dog's name is 'Porky', isn't that cute?"

"Well, it certainly is an unusual name for a dog. Why do you call him 'Porky'?"

"Because he ***** pigs!"

blo2thehead blo2thehead May 17 2014 at 9:52 AM

*f _ cks

jcbstz May 17 2014 at 10:25 AM

Total crock of research CRAP. Profanity is often used in front of children and it makes me sad that our children have gotten to the point where cursing is normal and adults actually encourage it. Sad for America

jcbstz May 17 2014 at 10:27 AM

AND let us get real woman. ALL kids don't cuss. It has become a part of your culture but thank God, not everyone's.

Heather May 17 2014 at 11:00 AM

I disagree. It is TOTALLY bad for me when my husband takes his temper out on me with a profanity filled, name calling bash! Maybe he feels better but I sure don't!!

clarke2689 May 17 2014 at 11:03 AM

swearing MAY NOT BE GOOD for you. Praying is GOOD FOR YOU.I would never think about swearing, this is awful. I cope with PRAYER to my LORD. I also have a nice cup of tea. This combats all negative thoughts

kacalder clarke2689 May 17 2014 at 12:51 PM

Prayer and a cup o' tea -- wow, I can't think of a better way to bring the spiritual and the temporal into perfect harmony! Just at the thought of it, I feel tensions I wasn't even aware of sliding down off my arms and onto the floor!

valgaavmiko May 17 2014 at 2:18 AM

It's catharsis. Any kind of emotional outburst where you are truly able to get it out (which is a different level for different people) is good. It doesn't necessarily have to contain profanity but for the saltier bunch of us it does. lol

Trisha May 17 2014 at 1:29 AM

It is beneficial to say what you think, period. Doesnt have to be swear words. Its this BS of people trying to stifle everyone they dont agree with that causes the stress and anxiety in this world. Control freaks need help to stop censoring the world. Then you will see how there is LESS yelling and swearing because people will not be so bottled up from your controlling ways.

Ricardo May 17 2014 at 9:03 AM

CT students! You can now say the "f" to your teachers. They have been doing it in New York City for years. Your teachers can't say anything to you. The experts say it is good to use the "f" word.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal