Man loses almost half his body weight after adopting daily routine

Man Loses Almost Half His Body Weight After Adopting Daily Routine

For all of you working hard on your summer bod, here's another inspirational story to keep you motivated. Erik Hill has lost 209 pounds in just a year, and HLN reports the weight came off after he developed a daily routine.

"I went from 415 pounds down to 206 pounds, and it's the best decision of my life."

Hill told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution he used to eat about 3,000 calories a day and would scarf down 40 to 50 wings in one sitting.

He tells HLN the first step to a healthy routine is making sure you're eating right, which includes a nutritious breakfast.

"I knew that if I could somehow get my routine in order, that I was going to be able to do this."

Hill makes sure he runs, walks or hikes a little more than 3 miles a day -- and he says he doesn't make excuses.

Hill has also been using the free app My Fitness Pal to track his progress and help him stay focused.

According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, he decided to change his lifestyle overnight after he was weighed during a doctor's appointment to treat a sinus infection. Hill's weight loss journey started off slowly, but has given him more energy.

Now he says he's the better half of the man he used to be.

During the segment, Erik revealed another big change in his life: he and his wife have their first baby on the way!

Since 2002, People Magazine has been highlighting determined individuals who have gone from, quote, "flab to fab" without pills or surgery.

The Huffington Post also publishes a regular series called "I Lost Weight," which highlights people's incredible success stories.

Joanne Lombardo Hutc May 19 2014 at 12:01 PM

Congratulations Eric. Its wonderful to hear you have been successful. Last June I began tracking my calorie intake with Fatsecret which is also a fee app. I've been able to lose over 80 lbs since then. Feel wonderful. No drugs involved, just counting calories and fat grams and being aware of what I am eating. Never want to go back!!!! Enjoy.

jmwbooks May 19 2014 at 11:59 AM

I have lost 73 lbs so far, 27 more is my goal!

jdarko2014 May 19 2014 at 10:24 AM

Some of you people on here are just waiting for any moment to discourage or bring people down. The guy felt he needed a change. He was 415 pounds. He is also 6'1'' and young. So what if it took him a while to figure out he needed a change? What matters is that he LOST weight and lives a healthier lifestyle because of it. For ***** sake give the guy credit for attempting to better his life. It's not yours to judge. This just shows anyone with any type of weight problem can lose the weight IF THEY REALLY CHOOSE TO DO SO, by doing the simplest of things, change your eating habits and exercise! Great Story even if you have the mongoloids trolling behind the keyboards, trying to discourage others because they can never amount to anything or do anything worthwhile themselves.

rangered83 jdarko2014 May 19 2014 at 11:41 AM

You make a valid point jd as I am 74 years old and joined TOPS in august 2012 and I was awarded North Carolina King at our State Recognition recently, You are never a failure until you give up.

btomtompkins jdarko2014 May 19 2014 at 12:39 PM

@jdarko2014 - no kidding!!! I can not stand how this world operates. They'd rather hide behind their nurses' certifications or experience in obesity than congratulate someone who has literally changed his life!

And, if Erik would have continued focusing on why he got fat in the first place, he'd NEVER lose the weight...or, if he did, it would have been a few lbs here and there, but not the consistency he's had.

I applaud your post and I am happy for my friend Erik.

julsie72 May 19 2014 at 5:32 PM

It would be great to see stories on older folks - past 55 - who have weight issues, but also may have meds, arthritis, post-chemo issues, or other things that hamper their energy levels and ability to be active and loose weight.

raidersetc May 19 2014 at 10:32 AM

Congrats ,Eric ! I lost 100 lbs in a year by both a daily three mike hike and only eating 1,500 calories per day . You can do it with fat free salad dressing . But you MUST give up alcohol or you'll have no chance.

btomtompkins May 19 2014 at 12:36 PM

@kressd600.....Oh, you would conclude he had weight loss surgery? You apparently know him? Did he consult you before agreeing to do this story? You're an idiot. I know Erik, personally in fact. Douche bags like you don't have a clue. Everyone's body is different. I would gather to say that there are more people like Erik who've lost MORE in less time without surgery or pills. Rare, yes. Possible? Anything is.

Erik never took anything or had stitches let alone surgery. You on the other hand should get your head and certifications examined.

kressd600 May 19 2014 at 12:15 PM

I've been a registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator specializing in metabolic syndrome, obesity, and weight loss for over 32 years.

This is not the whole story of how this gentleman lost half his body weight in one year.

By looking at him in his after picture..I would conclude that he had weight loss surgery and is now eating normally and exercising regularly.

Gastric bypass causes weight loss by minimizing the size of the stomach (after 1 year the stomach would hold about 1 cup of food) and malabsorption of vital nutrients. (Eric, you need to take your vitamins, iron, calcium and focus on protein and dark veggies).

There are no diet details as to how Eric achieved this amazing weight loss except for having breakfast and getting into a routine

A 33 year old man who weighs 209 pounds and exercises moderately can consume 3000 calories/day and maintain his weight....at 209 pounds!!!

oujoou May 19 2014 at 12:52 PM

Wow. He looks SOOO much better. He looks like a nice guy too. :) Must be shocking how people treat him different now than before when he was umm . . . BIG. :)

jbaer10314 May 19 2014 at 9:17 AM

this guy desperately needs a burger

Barry May 19 2014 at 7:37 AM

So, how much did he cut his caloric intake? Did he cut carbs?
3 miles walikng a day, how many calories did that burn?
Atkins diet one of the most effective that I have found.
It is mostly about resolve. if you want to, you will.

hattie54 Barry May 19 2014 at 8:21 AM

But many on the Atkins died ended up with high cholesterol.

Aliren hattie54 May 19 2014 at 8:39 AM

The bulk of the people who died on Atkins were people thinking they could just eat meats and cheeses and butter and didn't truly follow the plan. If you don't do something the way that you're supposed to, you run the risk of that happening. The true Atkins plan incorporates many healthy foods that help maintain cholesterol levels along with advice from your doctor.

Flag +2 rate up