Shutterfly mass email goes terribly wrong

Shutterfly's Mass Email Goes Terribly, Terribly Wrong

The photo service Shutterfly accidentally sent out a mass email congratulating an unknown number of recipients on being new parents. A sweet gesture, but many aren't new parents.

Shutterfly sent a targeted email to parents looking to create birth announcements, but it went terribly wrong.

The email reads, "There's nothing more amazing than bringing a new life into the world. As a new parent you're going to find more to love, more to give, and more to share." But most recipients only found more confusion.

One twitter user posted, "Just found out I'm a dad via a @shutterfly email campaign. This...is news to me."

Another wrote, "The apocalypse is here ppl, a website just got me pregnant #thefutureisnow"

A spokesperson from Shutterfly spoke to The Huffington Post and said it was an accident. "We deeply apologize for this intrusion and any offense this may have caused.

Our intention was to email customers who have recently purchased birth announcements with us, and it was sent to a larger distribution in error."

HuffPost Live's Christian Nilsson also received the email in question from Shutterfly, and while he was surprised to find out he's a father, he was more surprised to find out that he has a Shutterfly account.

seatide99 May 16 2014 at 8:55 PM

You know, Americans need to get over mistakes and emotional upsetness, such a hypersensitive nation so freaking pathetic get over it already

jfcdispatcher May 16 2014 at 10:22 PM

I got the email. Obviously a mistake. A stroke of the delete key and it was gone. Not a big deal.

Gina May 16 2014 at 11:15 AM

Hahahah I got one of those also and thought it was a spammer using Shutterfly, so I spanned it!

Mav May 16 2014 at 11:23 AM

Simple mistakes are forever blown out of proportion due to social media . . how many times might you have received mail addressed to a neighbor? NBD right? Would you blast a message out with an "OMG, the PO sent me . . ". Everyone is out to comment on everything to right, wrong or indifferent . . amazes me. Fast forward 10 years and ????? lol

Christine May 16 2014 at 11:39 AM

People need to stop whining about stupid things. So what. If it wasn't applicable; delete it and move on. Simple problem, simple solution. There must be more important things to worry about in life than a mistaken email.

erinjanespca May 16 2014 at 12:16 PM

Whatever, you get spam emails all the time saying crap that isn't accurate.

I got the apology email and hadn't even realized I got the other— cause it was irrelevant and I deleted it without a thought.

Mrs. G May 17 2014 at 1:48 AM

OMG, they didn't shoot anyone....they merely sent congrats in error! Save the anger for something REALLY wrong!

Helen Borrowman May 16 2014 at 1:56 PM

Seriously, how badly were any of you hurt by this email. Grow up and stop complaining about every little thing. For them to have to apologize about this is plain stupid!

Go2hellk May 16 2014 at 2:02 PM

I got this email, I laughed and deleted it.

Doug May 16 2014 at 2:11 PM

IT was't a problem...I took no offense ... I LOVE Shutterfly...have made many photo books and will do many more...probably not a Baby book...glad for ALL their E-mais offers ...:)
Doug