Lingerie store La Perla takes down controversial mannequin

Lingerie Store La Perla Takes Down Dangerously Thin Mannequin

The intimate apparel store La Perla had window shoppers in New York wondering if they were marketing a swimsuit ... or an eating disorder.

The bony mannequin, with 'protruding' ribs, put the lingerie store in hot water after someone posted a picture of it to social media.

The photo spread on twitter, where users called it "scary skinny" ... "unacceptable" ... and "irresponsible and harmful" for promoting an unhealthy body image.

According to Yahoo.com, "the Alliance for Eating Disorder Awareness tweeted that the mannequin was "terrible!" -- and even some people in the fashion industry who are used to seeing wafer-thin figures wrote that the mannequin went too far."

After the social media firestorm, La Perla apologized and has since removed the mannequin indefinitely.

Businesses have crossed the line while marketing their apparel several times before.

Photoshop edits are widely criticized for altering model's bodies.

You probably remember Target's big fail when they attempted to increase the size of the swimsuit model's thigh gap -- instead deleting a significant portion of one arm.

The company called it an unfortunate error on its part and apologized.

mgnficntoz May 16 2014 at 8:08 PM

Shame on the purveyors of attractive swim suits! They should be held to a more accurate depiction of the norm and utilize ostensibly over weight manequins with angry red faces shrieking about their "rights" and casting men in a harsh negative light wherein their problems are all the fault of men for no other reason than their say so.

Robert May 16 2014 at 9:31 AM

Sounds like the fat people trying to keep the skinny people down.
News flash, not everyone is rotund.

belldn3 May 15 2014 at 8:36 PM

Eating disorder.........???? What about the really perky ****, anybody see that?

David S. May 15 2014 at 8:36 PM

If this is all some people have to worry about, they must lead boring lives.....

mondial0111 May 15 2014 at 8:37 PM

START THINKING FOR YOURSELF. IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO A MANNEQUIN FOR IMAGE - EITHER CONSCIOUS OR OTHERWISE.. YOU ARE A MUPPET
ALSO, IS THIS WHAT THESE PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, WHAT AN EMBARRASSING COUNTY WE LIVE IN

vrjvdp May 15 2014 at 8:40 PM

R U F...ing kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a life if that offends you, or maybe a job

dmxwl May 15 2014 at 8:41 PM

Wow she's perfect, I wish more girls were skinny like that, skinny is so beautiful

Joebudgie May 15 2014 at 8:41 PM

Aren't the complaints also implying that women who are that skinny shouldn't wear bikinis?
It's a big howl over nothing. Why shouldn’t the store market to skinny women, too?

msyellarose Joebudgie May 15 2014 at 8:57 PM

Good point. I happen to be one of those girls who is very thin (through no fault of my own) and sometimes I feel that there is no place in the world for someone who looks like me. I recently went on a wonderful Mothers' Day excursion to Cabo San Lucas with my 27 yr old daughter, and she nearly had to force and plead with me to put a swimsuit on. I thought I would look ridiculous, until I saw women weighing almost 250 lying out on the beach. I put the darn thing on and went jet skiing...and let them stare.

Carmen Thompson May 15 2014 at 8:42 PM

You know what else should be banned are these movie starlets and television stars whom are portrayed in magazines and on television who look emaciated. Really, what kind of message do you think this sends to young impressionable girls and young women? HELLO wake up people.

lieunghs May 15 2014 at 8:43 PM

That's it, I am moviing to Norway!!!