Coroner: death of Julia Roberts' sister ruled suicide

Julia Roberts' Half-Sister Died From Suicide: Coroner

A Los Angeles County coroner announced this week that Nancy Motes, the half-sister of actress Julia Roberts, committed suicide.

Motes was 37 when she was found dead in Los Angeles in February. Investigators initially suspected a drug overdose and Roberts also released a statement saying the same. But a coroner confirmed Wednesday she took her own life by ingesting multiple drugs and climbing into a bathtub where she later drowned.

Motes was a production assistant on the TV show "Glee" and had a complicated relationship with her older sister.

Roberts allegedly tried to urge her to get help for a drug addiction, but Motes refused. The first time Roberts spoke about the death of her half-sister, she told The Wall Street Journal Magazine she was heartbroken and said, quote, "there aren't words to explain what any of us have been through... It's hour by hour some days, but you just keep looking ahead."

But at the memorial service, Roberts reportedly delivered a shocking eulogy, mentioning that she wanted to wring her sister's neck because of what she did, and saying she admired her for taking control and ending her pain as a last resort.

Los Angeles coroner's spokesman said the drugs will be listed in a full autopsy report that could be released as early as next week.

watersportz1 May 16 2014 at 2:04 AM

drug user dead and huff post thinks its news

vsop1jv May 15 2014 at 2:57 PM

Rest in peace

SUNSHINE2UHN May 15 2014 at 2:58 PM

Was this a release by her agent? It seems when ever she has a new movie or in this case she will be on a tv show because her movies all flop we are assaulted by her old movies on tv or she is out talking about her tattoo's or what ever. Hollywood needs to realize this nasty person is a has been who most of the country has gotten the word on through her husband stealing, nasty talk about the wife who just has a baby 2 months before, parking in handicapped parking and then yelling at the people who caught her and took pictures of it. The list is long and has made most adults realize she is a nasty person who treated her sister terrible for most of her life. To act concerned now is just that another ACT. I would never see a film with her in it after the wife bashing she did many years ago. She should just retire and give us all a break from her phony behavior.

atsistsi1 May 15 2014 at 3:18 PM

I love Julia Roberts but I don't think what she said was right. It is never okay to kill yourself. No matter what. My two cousins killed themselves.it almost kill there mom she never got over it. My husbands Mother killed her self when he was in high school left him with that to deal with if you can. Then my husbands father hung him self when my husband was 49 it made my husband I can't even tell you what it did to him. When you take your life you also kill your family in away. Please don't take your life get help sometime things look so bad but in time with help they get better. You just have to say I am sad now but in a few weeks or month I will get better. Life will be better just give it a chance.

ralphandcarolb May 15 2014 at 3:33 PM

My Grandfather killed himself when I was 10 years old it is something I will never forget and my father never did. It will always hurt and be so confusing it makes the family wonder why?

fernandezarthr May 15 2014 at 3:42 PM

....Check out the tee shirt, on the dead lady???!!!,......"My Vain,...Their gain"!!!....Oh, well!!!.......

marfil4545 fernandezarthr May 15 2014 at 4:19 PM

vein as in blood carrying, not vain as in vanity. Can't write a sentence, don't post or judge folks

cabinsmoke marfil4545 May 15 2014 at 4:35 PM

You forgot the period at the end of your sentence, oh perfect one.

Flag 0 rate up
Scooter May 15 2014 at 3:56 PM

No wonder she killed herself. She had to go thru life with the name "Julia Roberts' Sister." Even after death... look at the headline. Sad.

STEPH May 15 2014 at 3:59 PM

How can you judge siblings...there are many factors that come into play in families. You really can't be responsible for how an individual lives there life. You can only support them when and where you can, however, sometimes it’s just not enough for that individual, but can be all you can do.

HELLO SHELDON May 15 2014 at 4:35 PM