Authorities: Casey Kasem found in Washington state

May. 15, 2014 3:13 AM EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Casey Kasem was located in Washington state on Thursday, three days after a Los Angeles judge expressed concerns about the ailing radio host's whereabouts and safety.

Kasem's condition was not immediately known, although his children rejoiced after days of uncertainty and said in a statement that locating their father was the first step in bringing him back to the Los Angeles area.

Santa Monica police Sgt. Mario Toti said Kasem was located by the Kitsap County Sheriff's Department on Wednesday, hours after Kasem's children filed a missing person's report. Kasem's daughter Kerri, who was appointed his temporary conservator at a court hearing on Monday, had to wait for court filings before she was able to file the report.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Daniel S. Murphy ordered adult protective services and court investigators to try to locate Kasem after an attorney for his wife told the court that the former "Top 40" host was no longer in the United States but he did not know where he was.

Missing Radio Legend Casey Kasem Found Safe In Washington State

Kerri Kasem's attorney Troy Martin said during the hearing that Kasem had been moved to an Indian reservation but was not sure because he had been frequently moved from medical facilities.

"We are grateful to the local authorities for finding my dad," Kerri Kasem wrote in a statement. "We are one step closer to bringing him home."

Casey Kasem, 82, has been in poor health in recent years. Kerri Kasem's court filings state her father is suffering from a form of dementia called Lewy Body Disease that had previously been incorrectly diagnosed as an advanced form of Parkinson's disease.

Until Monday, Casey Kasem's wife of 34 years, Jean, had been in control of his medical care and controlled access to him. She has blocked three of Kasem's children from a previous marriage, including Kerri Kasem, from seeing him in recent months, according to court filings.

Danny Deraney, a spokesman for Kerri Kasem and her siblings, said the family still had "grave concerns" about Casey Kasem's health.

Jean Kasem's attorney Craig Marcus argued Monday that his client had the right to move her husband to any facility she saw fit. Murphy said he had the authority to order an investigation into Casey Kasem's whereabouts and appointed an independent attorney and doctor to evaluate the radio host.

Casey Kasem gained fame with his radio music countdown shows, "American Top 40" and "Casey's Top 40," and was the voice of Shaggy in the cartoon "Scooby Doo."

Murphy scheduled a hearing for June 20 to receive updates on Kasem's health and wellbeing.

mbinkrle May 15 2014 at 10:54 AM

true, Jean Kasem has some rights but keeping his children from a previous marriage away from him is not one of them!!! My husband told me that he doesn't want his children to know when he has passed, my answer to that is "oh yes they will know because I will tell them". Shame on you, Jean Kasem!!!

judyswon May 15 2014 at 11:11 AM

I have had a stepmother who is utmostly vindictive and abusive since I was a kid. The sorrow and pain in my heart while I grew up is somthing no one will truly understand unless he or she wears the same shoes. Fortunately I grew up to be a law abiding citizen without breaking any law except minor traffic violations.

While she has been suffering a stroke and unable to talk and walk, he passed away. And the siblings wanted me to give up my portion. I am the only one from my natural mother.

And if you think you know how I felt, you are full of schidtt.

Deborilla May 15 2014 at 11:12 AM

If the wife hadn't lied about him being out of the country, I would also think that the kids were making sure they were not cut off from his money. But, seeing that the attorney and the wife are "hiding" him, makes me think, hmmmmm, something is definitely not on the up and up....I do hope that the people who really care about his well being will be appointed as guardian over his last days on this earth......

rsoutar4995 May 15 2014 at 11:14 AM

His children have every right to see him, what is his wife hiding

armandsmith May 15 2014 at 11:16 AM

Enjoyed American top 40 when I was a kid way back when. Sounds like whole situation needs a good evalution. Story was a bit short on information as usual.

Barb May 15 2014 at 11:17 AM

My prayers are with mr. Kasem, what a sad way to end your life.

Whad Up Girl! May 15 2014 at 11:18 AM

Glad he was found!

moscowsaigon May 15 2014 at 11:19 AM

Lewy's Body Disease is as devastating as Alzheimer's, even though a different form of dementia. It can be an affliction at the same time as Parkinson's. I know this because a dear friend of mine suffered from both. Lewy's is a terminal brain disease. Why the current wife is preventing the children from visiting Kasem is beyond me. But they cannot affect his condition or prognosis, and it is a form of cruelty towards them, rather than him, because he will probably not recognise them if the disease is very advanced.

welcome timothy May 15 2014 at 11:20 AM

Just because she has the right to withold information from Kasem's children doesn't mean she should. Its much easier to act like human beings and allow the patient's kin to be aware of their father's whereabouts.

"Misdiangosed as parkinsosn's diseaes?" Please, there is no objective way to tell the difference from DLB and PD. its just that when you go to a movement disorder specialist they will entertain a more esoteric diagnosis, since you went to the trouble of seing them. Tell me what is the difference between the treatment from DLB and PD? None, you treat palliatuvely, as symptoms arise. So the extra diagnosis of DLB is purely academic. Hooray you gave him another diagnosis without any different in treatment or prognosis.

easyabrasives May 15 2014 at 11:20 AM

I grew up with Casey.This is very sad to see anyone with this disease.

World Series