Sandra Oh on leaving 'Grey's Anatomy:' 'That creatively, it's just ... topped out'

'Chelsea Lately': Sandra Oh On Leaving 'Grey's Anatomy'

Sandra Oh dropped by "Chelsea Lately" and talked about leaving "Grey's Anatomy" after playing Dr. Christina Yang for 10 years.

CHELSEA: "So why are you leaving us? It's only been 10 years..."

SANDRA: "You probably -- maybe -- understand this ... I felt like my work there was done.

SANDRA: "To have a character that you can play every day for 10 years, like every single day has been great, and with that creatively, it's just ... topped out.

CHELSEA: "You're done."

Sandra told Chelsea she actually originally auditioned for the role of Dr. Bailey but then asked if she could also audition for the role of Christina, which they let her do -- and soon after, she got a phone call telling her she got the part.

Sandra will be starring in the play "Death in the Maiden" in Chicago from June 13 to July 13 at The Victory Gardens Theatre, and her last episode of "Grey's Anatomy," which is also the season finale, airs May 15.

pjwinstead827 May 15 2014 at 2:03 AM

Great Performer, I wish her the best. I am sure she will find a fit somewhere else.

Sonja May 14 2014 at 5:53 PM

I enjoyed watching her all those years, she brought zest and Humor on the show.
it was never a dull moment.
I wish her good luck in the Future and she will be fine. sincerly sonja wolff

raptureready1958 May 14 2014 at 5:52 PM

I won't miss her arrogant character.

CRC May 14 2014 at 5:24 PM

Here's a newsflash...it never WAS creative to begin with...

Sonja CRC May 14 2014 at 5:56 PM

negative does not grow,
wake up Sister, am German I dont care much for People who see everyhing in Black?
we can not Always be happy what comes on TV, but as my Husband of 49 years would say, If you dont like something, get of your butt and Make a Change.
Sincerly Sonja Wolff.

jelsholz Sonja May 14 2014 at 6:52 PM

Sonja,
There's a spell check feature you should learn about. It also checks syntax....

Flag +2 rate up
Carl May 14 2014 at 5:19 PM

She was spending too much time with the patient and did not meet her quoto for the day__!!

Rather have Asian Doctor--than any Canadian white doctor__

b515 Carl May 14 2014 at 7:16 PM

Smaller finger for your prostate exam?

Carole May 14 2014 at 4:57 PM

I had to stop watching it long ago. How could any hospital have that much drama relating to it's employees.

Tuhloola11 Carole May 14 2014 at 5:56 PM

You think there's no "drama" going on with hospital staff ? Have I got some real life stories for you !!!

gail7rltr May 14 2014 at 4:31 PM

Grey's Anatomy topped out years ago. Didn't even know it was still on tv.

CASHKODIAK gail7rltr May 14 2014 at 9:07 PM

I WILL MISS HER VERY MUCH. VERY GOOD ACTRESS AND HAS COME A LONG WAY. I WISH YOU LUCK. DON'T PAY ATTENTION TO SOME OF THOSE RIDICULOUS COMMENTS. I'D LOVE TO SEE WHAT THEY DO FOR A LIVING. SADLY, JEALOUSLY HAS RUN RAMPANT ON THIS ITE. GOOD LUCK TO YOU IN YOUR NEW ENDEAVORS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daphne Lynn gail7rltr May 15 2014 at 3:23 AM

This!^^

R May 14 2014 at 4:24 PM

Will r-e-a-l-l-y miss her. She is such a great actress and aside from Grey's or an old movie, we never see her. I hope that changes. Thanks for the joy is watching your performances. Please come back to TV so we can get a regular Oh-Dose!

bigred8690 May 14 2014 at 4:11 PM

I am Asian, and I think that Oh's portrayal of her character was spot on--the typical book-smart nerd with poorly developed people skills. It's a stereotype and there are Asian doctors who don't act like that, but it is very common.

R bigred8690 May 14 2014 at 4:33 PM

I think you are wrong in "you" perception that "It's a stereotype and there are Asian doctors who don't act like that, but it is very common." I've known Asian doctors, have Asian friends and find that they are all uber-intelligent and interact beautifully with people. Sandra Oh's character of portraying someone who, in your opinion ".. . . ...poorly developed people skills." is off the mark. "Christina" knew exactly how she was interacting with each character, she had her own opinions and marched to her own drummer; She surely did no have poorly developed people skills. She was highly respected, revered and liked.

neb1997 May 14 2014 at 3:53 PM

So glad to see her go. Couldn't stand her or the character she plays. Hope Greys continues, but sure wish they wouldn't have cancelled Private Practice. I much preferred that show over Grey's.