What most viewers don't know about LA meteorologist Bri Winkler

Young Meteorologist Reveals She Had A Stroke

KABC meteorologist Bri Winkler is now sharing a story many of her Los Angeles viewers didn't know about. Two years ago, she had a stroke at just 24 years old.

She tells ABC, "First I lost the hearing out of my right ear ... The numbness spread to my face, then down to my arm and my leg. And then when I went to stand I realized I couldn't, so I had to get on the floor, so then I had to get on the floor and crawl."

That morning in September 2012, Winkler made it to the phone and called her sister, Tara Riggs.

Riggs thought it was low blood sugar at first, but then realized it was serious and called a family friend in southern California, who then called 911.

Doctors say strokes are unusual in young people, but they do happen. In Bri's case, doctors found a blood clot in her brain.

Winkler says she views the stroke
as "such a positive thing in [her] life ... I do appreciate everything a lot."

Now, Winkler wants to spread the message that strokes can happen to people at any age, so she wants others to know the warning signs.

According to the Mayo Clinic, you should look out for:

• Trouble walking, talking or understanding speech
  • Numbness in the face, arm or leg
  • Facial drooping
  • Difficulty seeing
  • Headache

And you might recall that actor Frankie Muniz, famous for the "Malcolm in the Middle" series, was also in his twenties when he had a mini-stroke.

He was only 26 at the time. He also had another mini-stroke a year later. He has reportedly been doing fine since then.

As for Winkler, her stroke was caused by a tear in a key blood vessel. A blood clot formed in her brain stem.

Winkler believes there's a reason she's still here today, and part of that is spreading her story.

halt1025 May 14 2014 at 6:49 AM

obomacare

J. Green halt1025 May 14 2014 at 7:57 AM

I'm sorry what does the President have to do with this exactly?

joe May 14 2014 at 8:39 AM

In 1964 I had a stroke at the age of 9. and again a year later at 10. In 65 they removed a blood clot from my brain

Angela9 May 14 2014 at 8:30 AM

I am not from L.A but my heart goes out to this young lady.My twin sister was out in TX at their hunting ranch last July and suffered a heart attack and almost died. This would have devastated our family.Strokes and heart attacks are so scary I am so glad Bri is making young people aware that these problems can hit at any age. I am happy she recovered and is doing well.

brookbug May 14 2014 at 8:29 AM

Brie cheese is spelled differently, for one thing...
and she may be Brittany, called Bri...who knows, and what difference does that make.

I had a stroke at 50 and a TIA about 8/9 years later...caused by a narrowed blood vessel from birth...could have happened at any time...nothing to do with lifestyle, food, cholesterol, blood pressure, whatever.
I am now a 64 yr. old, who's taught school for 43 years.

And people think if you aren't motor-skill impaired, it must not be a stroke...mine knocked out my vision, so if you looked at me, you would have no idea anything was wrong, but I couldn't look at you.

mwolfe34 May 14 2014 at 8:16 AM

The comments left here by all of you shows me just how idiotic a society we live in today. To make such jokes about a story like this is beyond me. Until it happens to you or someone YOU care about, then we're supposed to THEN be all sympathetic and caring. Why don't you have a heart and learn something from this...maybe even GET A LIFE, cause quite obviously you all DON'T if you come on here leaving such adolescent comments.

Thomas mwolfe34 May 14 2014 at 8:31 AM

u call this living...jk had a mini stroke last year not funny and no joke!

debbiesayers1 mwolfe34 May 14 2014 at 9:27 AM

awareness is very important...

remcoisp1963cobb May 14 2014 at 8:52 AM

One minute you're on top of the world, the next, it's on top of you. Money, looks and fame have no guarantee. But her story is not only a warning, but an inspiration

msnikki73 May 14 2014 at 11:08 AM

First time hearing that sudden loss of hearing is a sign of stroke. I know someone that suffered a stroke at a young age, her leg and arm went straight out, could not even be pushed back down. We thought it was just muscle spasms since it passed after a minute or two. We didn't realize it was a stroke until their speech became slurred later that day. Only thing drs could contribute the stroke to was birth control pills since she was otherwise very healthy.

Taxi Talk May 14 2014 at 10:57 AM

This article has just wasted valuable space for Beyoncé and Jay Z !! Talk about SELFISH !!

Velocity105 May 14 2014 at 7:41 AM

So she called somebody who called somebody who called 911? Thinking maybe Stroke Girl should've called 911 as soon as she got to the phone.

plewdawg May 14 2014 at 7:36 AM

This has been hushed up. It is happening quite a lot since 2012. They are discovering Conservative values trying to get out.

Angela9 plewdawg May 14 2014 at 8:37 AM

What does politics have to do with this story????