What most viewers don't know about LA meteorologist Bri Winkler

Young Meteorologist Reveals She Had A Stroke

KABC meteorologist Bri Winkler is now sharing a story many of her Los Angeles viewers didn't know about. Two years ago, she had a stroke at just 24 years old.

She tells ABC, "First I lost the hearing out of my right ear ... The numbness spread to my face, then down to my arm and my leg. And then when I went to stand I realized I couldn't, so I had to get on the floor, so then I had to get on the floor and crawl."

That morning in September 2012, Winkler made it to the phone and called her sister, Tara Riggs.

Riggs thought it was low blood sugar at first, but then realized it was serious and called a family friend in southern California, who then called 911.

Doctors say strokes are unusual in young people, but they do happen. In Bri's case, doctors found a blood clot in her brain.

Winkler says she views the stroke
as "such a positive thing in [her] life ... I do appreciate everything a lot."

Now, Winkler wants to spread the message that strokes can happen to people at any age, so she wants others to know the warning signs.

According to the Mayo Clinic, you should look out for:

• Trouble walking, talking or understanding speech
  • Numbness in the face, arm or leg
  • Facial drooping
  • Difficulty seeing
  • Headache

And you might recall that actor Frankie Muniz, famous for the "Malcolm in the Middle" series, was also in his twenties when he had a mini-stroke.

He was only 26 at the time. He also had another mini-stroke a year later. He has reportedly been doing fine since then.

As for Winkler, her stroke was caused by a tear in a key blood vessel. A blood clot formed in her brain stem.

Winkler believes there's a reason she's still here today, and part of that is spreading her story.

halt1025 May 14 2014 at 6:49 AM

obomacare

J. Green halt1025 May 14 2014 at 7:57 AM

I'm sorry what does the President have to do with this exactly?

LL May 14 2014 at 6:56 PM

UNIQUE SYMPTOMS OF STROKE IN SOME WOMEN:

* Hiccups
*Nausea
*Chest pain
*Shortness of breath
*Racing of the heart (heart palpataions)
*Fainting, or loss of consciousness

STROKE RECOGNITION - ALL AROUND: (F-A-S-T )

* F - is for face, see if one side is drooping & ask person to smile
* A - is for arms, when trying to raise both arms, does one drip downwards ?
* S - is for speech, is the person speaking clearly, or is there slurring ?
* T - is for time, The sooner you get this person to an ER, the lower the risk of permanent damage.

PRINT THIS TO HELP OTHERS - OR OTHERS CAN HELP YOU, IF IT'S IN ON YOU

gx6 May 14 2014 at 5:43 PM

This probably doesn't apply to her experiencel but there is also a high risk of stroke in women who smoke while taking birth control pills.

bigred8690 May 14 2014 at 5:08 PM

If you ever see someone with symptoms of stroke, stay with them until you get help. I remember my favorite college professor telling me that he wasn't feeling well, so I left his office. Then I realized what was happening and I ran up the four flights of stairs to get to his office, found it locked, then literally leaped down entire flights of stairs to get to his car. He had called his wife to come pick him up. At the hospital they found out it was a stroke.

Taxi Talk May 14 2014 at 10:57 AM

This article has just wasted valuable space for Beyoncé and Jay Z !! Talk about SELFISH !!

msnikki73 May 14 2014 at 11:08 AM

First time hearing that sudden loss of hearing is a sign of stroke. I know someone that suffered a stroke at a young age, her leg and arm went straight out, could not even be pushed back down. We thought it was just muscle spasms since it passed after a minute or two. We didn't realize it was a stroke until their speech became slurred later that day. Only thing drs could contribute the stroke to was birth control pills since she was otherwise very healthy.

lalalexm May 14 2014 at 11:11 AM

Just to add a little humor: I thought that they were going to tell us that she was actually a guy. But this is serious. Most of the time people do not know they have a clot.

cgiammo147 May 14 2014 at 11:14 AM

My sister had a stroke in 1973 at the age of 19. Dr's said it was the birth control pill. She used another form of birth control and experienced a complete recovery.

Buckingham's May 14 2014 at 11:37 AM

So glad she's okay. I hope she lives a LONG time now.

Best Truss May 14 2014 at 3:53 PM

strokes happen because blood veins get clogged due to plaque buildup in the arteries.Did you know that pure cranberry juice destroys plaque on contact.The same plaque in your mouth goes to your heart(heartattacks) and brain (strokes).This is why people with periodontal disease have a high incidence of strokes and heartattacks.If you drink pure cranberry juice(pure,not the cocktail version), you cut your risk of stroke or heartattack by 50%(see Rutgers University study on benefits of Cranberry).Just drink 2 inches in a cup everyday,once a day...By the way its also good against Cancer,high colesterol and tumors.