Men in China participate in childbirth simulation

Men In China Participate In Childbirth Simulation

In honor of Mother's Day, some men in Nanchang City, China were voluntarily hooked up to machines that simulated labor pains ... and their reactions were priceless. Here's ABC:

"Doctors wired 20 men in China to a machine that simulated the pain of childbirth by sending electric shocks to the abdomen for 30 seconds... hello, average labor 12-14 hours, just saying."

Yep ... those men don't look too comfortable.

According to The Huffington Post, the machines replicated childbirth pain on a scale of 50 to 500. One of the men who participated said: "I couldn't stand much of it all. I understand now why my wife screamed for drugs when she was giving birth."

Most of the men didn't even make it through the full 30-second simulation, and as "Good Morning America" anchor Amy Robach pointed out, labor typically lasts quite a bit longer than 30 seconds. One man, however, did what he could to withstand the machine's highest pain level.

According to the Daily Mail, Zhou Nan managed to make it to the 500 mark on the agony scale. "I am the father of triplets and wanted to understand the great pain my wife experienced when she was giving birth. It was horrible. I have nothing but deep admiration for all mothers after this ordeal."

But this isn't the first time men have tried to understand what birthing pains feel like.

In 2012, two Dutch men simulated labor for their show "Guinea Pigs." That didn't go well, either.

Actually, pretty much any time these labor simulations have been done, they've ended with men in the fetal position. After participating in a similar experiment in 2009, Dr. Andrew Rochford said in Bust Magazine:

"Men of the world, you have no idea. Leave it to the women. Forget the whole pain threshold debate. We have nothing. Women win. Men don't. The end."

That was after experiencing so-called labor pains for 3 hours. The organizer of the event in China said: 'This can help people realize how great mothers are.'

Odens Fist May 13 2014 at 7:38 PM

The test is a shame, and incomparable... It's also quite a sham.
I'm not saying birth is not massively painful, i'm saying the test does not represent the true nature, location, and type of pain. That kind of test has already been debunked YEARS AGO by a woman (mother) that volunteered to compare what they used, and what really happens.. Her exact words were "It's a far different kind of pain in a different part of the body, and it is NOT the same as this test".. You can't get much closer to the truth then to ask someone that endured 3 child births, and the test, then compared them in her own words. Try Again.. Men will never be able to have the same experience.
Women can only describe it.. That test is beyond flawed.. Look it up.

francycmt Odens Fist May 13 2014 at 8:52 PM

Well, my description of it is like: a Mac truck hitting your uterous over & over...! ECT. w/ more details!

cincyburb01 May 13 2014 at 10:41 PM

These articles are so much bullcrap. The caption states that this test is proof that women are so much stronger. How can they get away with such biased sexism? Suppose an article came out and said that men were so much stronger? All hell would break out. The bottom-line fact is that men, and men alone, made modern society the great place that it is. Women mended their socks, baked their cookies and swept their floors. Men win, hands down.

cincyburb01 May 13 2014 at 10:44 PM

Aol should be fined heavily for these sexist articles, and forced to sell the company to someone else, just like Donald Sterling is being forced to sell his basketball team. Let's see a woman go on a football field and play ball against men. Men are stronger, period. Edith, go bring me a beer, dingbat.

artwholeflaffer May 13 2014 at 10:54 PM

Just wondering, Is It more painful than having a kidney stone get stuck blocking urine from passing from a kidney to the bladder or having a stint put in on the same path without anything for the pain? Or a canera shoved up the penis all the way to a kidney (even with morophine)?

wcivyman May 13 2014 at 10:59 PM

I've heard the worst pain is a broken femur but seems to me being burned has gotta be right up there.

James May 13 2014 at 11:03 PM

Women are stronger? Good, they can help me move.

shaymay2 James May 13 2014 at 11:23 PM

I vote to hook James up to the machine.... see how long till he cries ....

mark and sheri shaymay2 May 14 2014 at 2:03 AM

Don't like Men, do you?

Flag 0 rate up
btsv4 James May 13 2014 at 11:41 PM

No problem, military family and have moved ourselves many times WITH my help

casey81296 May 13 2014 at 11:10 PM

right and thats why one punch to the face lands you in jail

rothhammer1 casey81296 May 13 2014 at 11:25 PM

No, that's because you've assaulted someone.

Justin James rothhammer1 May 14 2014 at 6:54 AM

Man hits a woman. Woman calls the cops. Man goes to jail.

Woman hits a man. Man calls the cops. Man gets laughed at, or put in jail.

Flag 0 rate up
PrincessBrittney May 13 2014 at 11:13 PM

What a kick, after reading the comments below I can't stop laughing. Yes, child birth hurts like hell when going through labor and finally the relief of feeling the child leave the body. Well, I can tell you my first all I got was ice chips and a shot of muscle relaxer which didn't do much for the pain, my second was induced and I was having hard labor pains one on top of the other with no breaks between for over 10 hours. I finally broke and asked for the epidural. The kids' father got a kidney stone, doubled over in pain for hours, I laughed and told him "I guess now you know what it feels like having labor pains before giving birth through a small hole" he didn't respond because he knew I was right. Guys get over it, women were designed to live in hell from female hormones, to delivering babies, and putting up with you. Yes, we are mentally, emotionally and physically stronger than you!

mark and sheri PrincessBrittney May 14 2014 at 2:01 AM

Sexist aren't we? Why do you always ask the male to open up your stupid jars? All you self righteous, nasty women who are attacking the Fathers of your children, please. Just become Lesbians. Go live your life with out us. We'll find a woman with the normal feelings to actual love a member of the opposite sex, which Evolutionary Development created so that the Species would increase in number. That is why we are The Top of The Food Chain, the Apex Predator. Two Genders makes Humankind Stronger, Ying and Yang. Look it up.

stephen284 May 13 2014 at 11:36 PM

Really? Simulate labor?

Everyone knows that labor is easier than a man's pain. Look at it this way: Women have multiple births because they soon forget the pain. How many men do you know that say, "Go ahead, kick me in the BALLS again?

I rest my case.

mark and sheri stephen284 May 14 2014 at 1:55 AM

Line from "Banshee"
"You know what's more painful than getting hit in the balls with a baseball bat?"
"Getting hit again!"

stephen284 May 13 2014 at 11:39 PM

Well I never went through labor, but my kids have been killing me since the moment they were born!

s.august stephen284 May 14 2014 at 3:10 AM