Hugh Jackman expects more bouts of skin cancer

May. 13, 2014 5:34 AM EDT

BEIJING (AP) - Hugh Jackman says he will probably have many more skin cancerous growths following the removal of a second one from his nose.

The 45-year-old Australian actor spoke Tuesday while in Beijing to promote his latest movie, "X-Men: Days of Future Past."

Jackman had a basal-cell carcinoma removed last week. Basal-cell carcinoma is a slow-growing form of skin cancer. Jackman was treated for the same disease last year.

He told The Associated Press: "I'm realistic about the future and it's more than likely that I'll have at least one more but probably many more."

He added: "But the beauty of this is it's all preventable, it's just about getting proper check-ups."

Jackman also suggested the next X-Men movie scheduled for release in 2017 wouldn't be his last.

thomas stephen May 13 2014 at 6:34 AM

Treatable, if caught early, wait a while, and you have problems, big problems.

photogeorgehemet May 13 2014 at 12:15 PM

Please don't BLAME Hugh Jackman for this sensationalized story about his Basal Cell cancer. The media takes a simple TWEET and makes it sound like he's on his deathbed but as long as he stays on top of this he should have a long life ahead of him. Keep making those good MOVIES Jack and best of luck to you.

ladyredux photogeorgehemet May 13 2014 at 12:19 PM

I agree. Now if he had melanoma, this would be a different thing.

roseyoungstewart photogeorgehemet May 13 2014 at 1:50 PM

so far, i did not read he was on his deathbed. just where did you see that? are yougrossly exaggerating or just plain lying? Well, which one? why don't you just shut up?

lbreamer roseyoungstewart May 13 2014 at 2:19 PM

My word, was that really necessary??

Flag 0 rate up
Priscilla Ireland May 13 2014 at 12:25 PM

I just had basal cell carcinoma and it isn't as scary as a lot of other cancers but depending on where it is and the severity it can be quite nasty. Most people do not realize that skin cancer can be any change in the appearance of your skin not just a mole and that the best thing you can do is always use sun screen anytime of the year that you are outside and reapply it frequently.

ksss01 Priscilla Ireland May 13 2014 at 12:34 PM

i had many basal cells....mohs surgery to remove them.....it is very scary Priscilla. I also am now 4 years canccer free since having melanoma. every cancer is scary!

FiberTechniques May 13 2014 at 12:45 PM

I have had bcc mohs surgery this year and plastic surgery and am still recovering after 3 months. I'm not sure my nose will ever look the same. His appears to be in the same spot mine was. After freezing, mine came back. My suggestion is to go to a dermatology if you notice anything different on your skin. Primary care drs misdiagnosed BCC on me two separate times, two drs at two different offices.

TKB FiberTechniques May 13 2014 at 1:16 PM

If you are diagnosed with cancer, you go to a cancer specialist, not a dermatologist. My husband had a skin cancer under his left eye and his dermatologist just kept freezing it every five or six months. I looked at it and was not at all comfortable with what I saw. I made him go to a cancer specialist and he took care of it for good. It has never come back.

roseyoungstewart TKB May 13 2014 at 1:46 PM

a person cannot just call and make an appointment at a cancer specialist. It must be a referral from the primary doctor if the primary doctor feels it is necessary then you can go. Other wise you pay out mof yourmown pocket possibly 3-400 first visit.

Flag 0 rate up
dad1340 May 13 2014 at 1:19 PM

Always smart to get those check-ups. I had Melanoma (Clarks Level III, Depth .096) on the middle of my back in Feb 92. Dermatology removed in Feb 92. Spread to the Lymph Nodes in right arm in Mar 2001. Removed same month - took all lymph nodes. Refused chemo and Interferon IV Therapy. I did give my serlft 14 of 18 months on Interferon Injections. Stopped when my feet and hands were semi-numb. Neuropathy is one of dozens of side effects of Interferon. Now I take 3100mg Gabapetin daily to help control the burning and pain in my feet/hands (actually makes my brain think it is better). No recurrence for 13 yewars, but I am aware it is "sleeping in my system" and will probably be back. Actually have a Dermatolgy Skin Screening tomorrow. See you Primary Care/Dermatology if any moles look suspicious and Weare Sun Screen! Don

lbreamer dad1340 May 13 2014 at 2:17 PM

Bless your heart Don - I hope all goes well for you. Thanks for sharing your story. I know I need to have my "moles & freckles" checked... just haven't worked up the nerve.

roseyoungstewart May 13 2014 at 1:43 PM

just keep out of the sun / wear a sun screen.

lbreamer May 13 2014 at 2:15 PM

I know "tan" is fashionable & it's considered a "healthy glow" - but I stay out of the sun now & have for years. I am Irish, Scottish, German & Dutch - I don't tan, I burn, badly. Mr. Jackman says " "But the beauty of this is it's all preventable, it's just about getting proper check-ups." " - no, preventable means stay out of the sun, wear long-sleeved shirts & hats, loads of sunblock... Not as sexy, certainly, but better unsexy than carcinoma or malignant melanoma.

aces lbreamer May 13 2014 at 3:28 PM

ditto

Kim May 13 2014 at 2:22 PM

great attitude and outlook on life-the cure to so many illnesses

Colby Fulton May 13 2014 at 2:25 PM

I guess that Australian sun is pretty strong!

aces Colby Fulton May 13 2014 at 3:30 PM

does not matter where you are to much sun is a killer, and it might take 20 to 30 yrs before you see the damage, but it sucks and can be deadly......

nabwolf May 13 2014 at 2:36 PM

He should talk about sun protection.