Dive-bombing hawks force woman to wear helmet

Dive-Bombing Hawks Force Woman to Wear Helmet

Dive-bombing red-tailed hawks are plaguing a neighborhood in Florida's Port St. John. Two people in Brevard County have been struck, and one even went to the hospital, WESH reports.

Dan Billow reports that one concerned neighbor doesn't go outside without a helmet. Ursula looks anxiously at the sky when she steps outside, anticipating a possible attack. Up on a power pole, a red-tailed hawk takes off and buzzes her house. Those hawks are always watching.

Now, Ursula has resorted to buying and wearing a helmet. "They come with the clouds right. And voom! They strike from behind with talons and draw blood, I was crying and I hold my head. I have pain," Ursula says.

Ursula explains that she always gets attacked in the same spot, just as she's coming through the garage to her car in the driveway. "The hawks are right up there. I like the birds. They are beautiful birds" ... as long as they keep their distance, she explains.

Another neighbor got hit and bloodied and went to the hospital as a result of the birds. WESH talked to the game mission and was told that the birds do attack people. Residents found out there's really nothing within the law they can do -- and they're surprisingly okay with that.

The young hawks in the nest will be gone in a few weeks and so will the problem. "They will come next year," Ursula explains. "Maybe I go to germany this time."

alfredschrader May 14 2014 at 6:21 AM

I live about 20 miles North of there. I have hawks too but mine behave.
They are amazing. Beautiful magnificent birds. They perch in the giant oaks on my estate.
If a rodent enters my property the hawks make a screeching sound and swoop down and grab the rodent with tallons and take it to their nest.
Mice are not an issue here.
Most of the time the hawks simply perch on the branches - beautiful magnificent creatures. Keen eye sight, large wing span - straight out of a National Geographic movie.

frisco9312 May 13 2014 at 7:01 PM

get all the crap out of your garage and park in there

Linda May 13 2014 at 6:43 PM

I'd shoot the damned thing! Be done with it!

bah002 May 13 2014 at 6:17 PM

Some of you may remember One of many of China's big leaps forward, where they tried to kill off all of their wild bird population! With great success, the idea was that birds especially song birds were eating their rice/wheat supplies and other foods grown!
Once the birds were gone, then the rodents rats and mice and cockroaches , etc. took over and ate about 4X the amount of food the birds had eaten: That set them back a few years, needless to say!

pjgblg May 13 2014 at 5:53 PM

Let's see, this is Florida. If a person comes onto my property and threatens me with harm, I can kill them...no problem. But a freakin bird I can't do anything about. What's wrong with this picture?

silver9 pjgblg May 13 2014 at 6:01 PM

People like you...... who are savages who believe that you are better than any one or anything,,,it was us people who invaded their homes,,and also they do not kill for the fun of it, they only kill to protect and eat,,,,

Dan May 13 2014 at 5:36 PM

A good tennis raquet will take of that sh*t right now!

silver9 Dan May 13 2014 at 6:01 PM

how about if we do it to you,,,,

Barbara May 13 2014 at 5:18 PM

I can't go out my doorwall to the patio. Mama robin built her nest on the bathroom window sill. If I even stand on my side she dives at me. I'v never seen such a mean Robin.

silver9 Barbara May 13 2014 at 6:02 PM

read some about birds and you will learn to deal with them without harm to you or them

gramargo Barbara May 13 2014 at 8:45 PM

She won't be there long, Barbara. Baby robins grow up fairly fast. Next year put somethiing on the window sill so she can't build a nest there.....problem solved.

teeveequeen May 13 2014 at 4:35 PM

blast them out of the trees ... enough said

silver9 teeveequeen May 13 2014 at 6:03 PM

sure sure sure,,,kill destroy kill destroy,,,how helpful of you,,,that is a solution to everyting is in it?..we should do that to schools too because parents dump their kids there and they become monsters like you,,so blast them out to solve the problem

Ms. Eddye May 13 2014 at 4:34 PM

We have a Blue Jay that chases and pecks at my neighbor's cat. The cat runs from the bird, hides under the car in the driveway and seeks help to get away from this bird. It is funny to watch over the years,but very sad for the cat. Call me crazy, but the two of them seem to understand each other.

Lois Ms. Eddye May 13 2014 at 7:36 PM

My Dad use to have a Bluejay that aggravated his cat. The poor cat couldn't walk across his yeard without being attacked. One day the cat was out in the yard and sure enough here came the Bluejay. Except this time the cat flipped over in mid air and grabbed the bird right out of the sky and killed it. So that took care of that.

Mike May 13 2014 at 4:25 PM

What does Mother Nature know about the secret going-ons of this neighborhood?