Shelly Sterling will fight for her share in the Clippers

Shelly Sterling Will Fight For Her Stake In The Clippers

Shelly Sterling, the estranged wife of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, Told Barbara Walters she will fight the NBA if it tries to take away her stake in the team."I've been with the team for 33 years through the good times and the bad times. And it's my passion and I love it.Her comments come two weeks after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced the league's punishment for Donald Sterling following his racist remarks.

Now, the question remains, will the other owners vote Donald out? If they do, Shelly says her stake in the team should be separate. But USA Today reports it's extremely unlikely the NBA will let her remain part of the club. "The bottom line for the NBA is there is simply no reason to compromise when it comes to the next Clippers owner."

And the NBA maintains it does have the legal right to remove both owners. Sports Illustrated has the NBA's statement. "Under the NBA Constitution, if a controlling owner's interest is terminated by a 3/4 vote, all other team owners' interests are automatically terminated as well. ... These are the rules to which all NBA owners agreed to as a condition of owning their team." Shelly's counsel reportedly says this interpretation of the NBA Constitution is "self-serving." But other outlets remind us, Shelly's record isn't clean either.

The Los Angeles Times reports, a tenant of one of the Sterling's apartment buildings in LA filed a federal lawsuit against the couple in 2007. He claimed he was the target of discriminatory behavior.
And ABC obtained video that seems to show Shelly posing as a health inspector to illegally enter her tenant's apartment. It's not clear how – if at all – these allegations will affect Shelly's chances of keeping her stake in the team. In the interview, she said she eventually plans to file for divorce from her husband.

elkhartbiker May 12 2014 at 3:39 PM

You go girl!! I'll be supporting you every inch of the way in your fight against an unconstitutional NFL attack. When a person can be forced to sell their property for doing or saying something that is NOT AGAINST THE LAW then something is wrong in America.

Patrick Mulcahy May 13 2014 at 12:03 AM

This whole incident is about an aging old man with money and his gold digger trophy girl friend. Both are meant for each other. His recorded rant was about his control of her associations. He probably wouldn't want her associating with any other man. Black, White, red, yellow or maybe me. This is not a international racist event. Mrs. Sterling should have dumped him years ago received her 50% of the divorce settlement and move on. Life is to short to spend it in misery. Donald Sterling's comments were under duress of jealousy and rage. The Clippers are in the finals of a championship run. This does affect the players and the coach. Forgiveness is appropriate. Accept his apology
and move on. To continue on the racial comments only incites and divides America. Let's all forgive each other and move forward as united Americans regardless of our skin color. I have had people forgive for doing stupid things over my 71 years. It only
builds character. Magic Johnson knows forgiveness.

minken Patrick Mulcahy May 13 2014 at 5:02 AM

Nice idea. Not practical. Magic's act has worn thin. HIV older man with too much greed. he should be grateful just to be alive. He doesn't need Sterling's team and he doesn't deserve it. I wouldn't likemy girlfriend bringing her black boyfriends around either. SO? sue me. It's just an opinion and a request from an old man.

rapfire9 May 12 2014 at 10:49 PM

I think she should be ashamed of his statments and she really thinks just like her sick husbond after all here is a couple that lets the husbond have a call girl for his arm candy
He is a trick and that is what he really is. He thinks his money can buy a women.and distroy her life.
She is as sick as he is If you ask me.

Randy May 12 2014 at 7:51 PM

I heard that Lebron James does not want any Sterling owning the Clippers. Sterling says something in the privacy of his own house, which is taped and put over TMZ without his approval and the whole family loses? If LeBron's wife said something outrageous and it was put on TMZ should he be banned for life from the NBA because of his wife's voice. Riduculous. I don't agree with what he said but if he was such a racist he syrely wouldn't have a black girl friend, Almost all black players and one of the first black GM's. Doesn't make sense

pepper2101 May 12 2014 at 7:39 PM

While I abhor the comment Sterling made - it boggles my mind that the NBA can force an owner to sell. If I were the other others it would disturb me a lot. Say the wrong thing and it can be illegally recorded and you're outta there.

Bob May 12 2014 at 5:45 PM

So how low is the NBA going to go, I think this is total BS, I am not a racist by any means, but these guys are really stroking this, first Stern screws over the Lakers by vetoeing the chris paul trade, but allow the clippers to make a deal, now silver wants to use his power to take the team away from the Sterlings, what exactly did Mr. Sterlimg say that you don't hear in the schools, so after this debacle, what team is next?

ganderrrr Bob May 12 2014 at 6:00 PM

Probably none. They haven't got owners as stupid as Sterling.

ganderrrr Bob May 12 2014 at 6:47 PM

You don't hear in the schools: "Stop hanging out with black guys and don't bring Magic Johnson to Clippers games."

crownja5957 May 13 2014 at 12:28 PM

this has gone too far with this black crap..its ok for al sharpton to sit there and knock the white man and threaten politicians thats ok..lets stop with the bullsh-t if i wanna call someone a nigg-r its free speech if you don't like it than don't hang around me or go to my games ..who cares you can not change me to be who you like and never will..

crowncontainer crownja5957 May 13 2014 at 12:46 PM

amen

johnrivard115 May 12 2014 at 5:10 PM

What Goes around, Comes around,

ganderrrr johnrivard115 May 12 2014 at 6:00 PM

A stitch in time saves nine.

rcmalles07 May 13 2014 at 9:20 AM

Common trash, the both of them

FedUp May 13 2014 at 9:16 AM

what the **** ever happened to Free Speech? how many times do we think the players uttered the epithet "honky"? and they're still in the NBA. Get real, America. It's free speech.