Dracula's castle for sale for the right price

Dracula's Castle For Sale For The Right Price

For those of you shopping for a new home, here's a listing you might be interested in: Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania is now on the market.

The humbly horrific abode is Eastern Europe's biggest tourist attraction accounting for more than half a million visitors every year. Which is odd, since Dracula never actually lived there.

The Huffington Post explains that the castle, nicknamed "Bran," supposedly inspired the castle in Bram Stoker's novel "Dracula." But he apparently never entered the home either.

The castle was built in 1388 and, believe it or not, the new homeowner will have some renovating to do.

Of all the 57 rooms, there's not a single bathroom -- and it's probably lacking a few 21st century touches.

Nonetheless, the owners are reportedly asking for a whopping $79 million. Even if it's outside your budget, we'd at least recommend going to the open house ... if you dare.

Lora May 12 2014 at 1:59 PM

I've been there twice, the first time was FAR better than the second! When I first saw the castle it was still under "private" ownership and was dedicated to Count Dracul, by the time I went the second time 6 yrs later, it had been taken over by the Romanian government and was dedicated to one of their former "queens." By that time they had literally white-washed EVERYTHING except the master bedstead. Still a cool destination, but it LOST ALOT of it's "spooky appeal." Once the government took it over they did away with EVERYTHING that was Dracul specific. It was my understanding tho that Count Dracul DID IN FACT live there at one time. It was his "summer" residence, as the mountains were far cooler than the low-lands. The village surrounding is beyond quaint, and the "market" area at the base of the castle is rife with everything Dracul. Now if you want to be AWED by BEAUTY, I suggest you go to Castelul Peles. It is beyond beautiful and extravagant.

Applez64 Lora May 12 2014 at 2:37 PM

Count Dracula is a fictional character. He never lived anywhere!

toteusint Lora May 13 2014 at 5:22 AM

No, he didn't. "Count Dracul" is a fictional caracter. The term "count" was not used in Valachia.

mizkitcarlson May 12 2014 at 11:24 PM

I have been there. It is very well kept...minus the bathroom.

TruthBeKnown May 12 2014 at 9:12 PM

I bet it is nice and quiet and a person could get a lot of crochet done ~!

richard.ramos28 May 12 2014 at 4:08 PM

Add 5 out houses and I'll take it.

dickn2000b richard.ramos28 May 12 2014 at 6:05 PM

You need FIVE (5) outhouses?? You must really be full of ****!

hattie54 May 12 2014 at 8:48 PM

I hope to visit this place someday ( if tours are still allowed there )?:(

millionaire May 12 2014 at 8:23 PM

Dracula is just a story. He's not real.

redneck5621 May 12 2014 at 7:17 PM

IF I HAVE THAT KIND OF MONEY ,I WOULD BUY EM IN HEART BEAT

laura May 12 2014 at 7:14 PM

I could get a builder to copy the castle and have it where I want with bathrooms for way less than the asking price.

dickn2000b May 12 2014 at 5:44 PM

Is this story so important that the AOL/Fluffpost Flakes post it in two places? It's a fluff piece with no particular news value.

jcajunque May 12 2014 at 6:02 PM

The castle that belonged to "the impaler" is a heap of stone rubble. This castle was not the castle that teh impaler ever owned or lived in. What a hype!

World Series