Boston drivers urged to 'Use Yah Blinkah'

BOSTON (AP) - Perhaps the reason notoriously aggressive Boston drivers don't use their turn signals is that no one's ever put it in terms they understand.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation on Friday changed that by posting messages on electronic highway signs around the city that read: "Changing Lanes? Use Yah Blinkah."

"Blinkah" is how Bostonians pronounce "blinker," otherwise known as a turn signal.

The signs are scheduled to stay up through the Mother's Day on Sunday, which state officials say is one of the busiest traffic days of the year.

Drivers who fail to use their "blinkah" when changing lanes on a Massachusetts highway are subject to a fine. Police across the state handed out almost 5,000 tickets for the offense last year.

glosieyes May 15 2014 at 1:27 AM

There's a reason cars have em!!! Start using them folks!

Hey Angie! May 17 2014 at 10:01 AM

I don't think people understand the importance of this simple little thing. I have seen people randomly stop and almost get rear ended cos the guy behind him didn't read his mind that "oh yeah, I'm turning here"

jjbwnyc Hey Angie! May 17 2014 at 11:43 AM

oh absolutely! so simple of a gesture...its called communication. and considering there are so many other inconsiderate actions on the road that are unnecessary.

lsoxchance May 14 2014 at 11:21 PM

I call my state drivers LugNuts. I am from this state, you can be sitting in traffic and out of no where this car with pull into your lane. Its a common issue and what idiots. I think if you get pulled over for even minor issues and be ticked for it, and the systems will say you have been pulled over in the past 6 months for the same issue you need to go back to driving school, that and YELLED SIGNS AND ROTARY USAGE...

rbthatsme May 15 2014 at 9:14 AM

And red lights are not a suggestion. They are the law.

eccoidav May 14 2014 at 9:10 PM

Good for them; I wish they'd enforce it all over the U.S.!! Drivers who so stupidly and dorkily change lanes without signaling annoy the crap out of me!! Another problem I all-too-typically notice on freeways is drivers who putt along in the middle lane without going very fast when slower traffic is supposed to keep right--except to pass. Otherwise, it really screws up the flow of traffic!

Peggy May 17 2014 at 8:22 PM

Hows about yah pahk the cah and take the T?

lozzilozzib May 12 2014 at 2:55 PM

love it always begin told am hard to understand because of my bostron accent i love it

Amber lozzilozzib May 12 2014 at 3:01 PM

I'm from south GA and I LOVE the Boston accent!! It's different from the New York accent, which I despise.

seban Amber May 12 2014 at 3:53 PM

Frankly, most American accents sound "uneducated" to me. Even genuine southern accents are disappearing. The Chicago area, Wiscaaansin, and upper Midwest accents are hysterical to me. Listen to Iowa Rep. Steve King, and Michele Bachmann's accents.

Flag +1 rate up
tony lozzilozzib May 12 2014 at 3:39 PM

Try fixing it, or do you like sounding like an ebonics major?

Amy baby May 12 2014 at 3:24 PM

That sign isn't just in boston it's all over Mass ... To me it's nothing more then proof of educational decline in the number one welfare state. The stuff I hear on Mass radio never ceases to shock me. I just hope the liberal cancer doesn't spread.

nimbaluv May 12 2014 at 3:24 PM

Fun and enlightening instead of all the serious rules and doom and gloom that hold us prisoner every day. Perhaps there is hope after all for a better lighthearted life.

jfleisc May 12 2014 at 3:25 PM

I thought reading and speaking english was a requirement for a license