Boehner says he's nudged Jeb Bush on presidency

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - House Speaker John Boehner said Monday that he's "nudged" former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush to seek the Republican nomination for president in 2016.

With various potential GOP candidates jockeying two years out, the top Republican in Congress delivered the strongest hints about his preference for the White House while cautioning that the talk was a bit premature.

"Jeb Bush is my friend. I think he'd make a great president. I've nudged him for some time," Boehner told the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

Republican Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida, Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas have been mentioned as possible presidential candidates along with a number of GOP governors.

In this year's elections, Republicans are expected to keep control of the House and have a legitimate shot at seizing the majority in the Senate. Boehner said he expects to keep his leadership position in 2015 but stopped short of committing to serving out a full 13th term in Congress.

"I have a very good relationship with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle," Boehner said. "Even in my party, even with some people with whom we have disagreement almost every day, I have a good relationship with them as well.

But given a chance to end speculation that he may not complete another full two-year term, Boehner said he couldn't predict what might happen.

"I'm going to be 65 years old in November. I never thought I'd live to be 60. So I'm living on borrowed time," the Ohio Republican said.

Boehner has provoked discontent among some conservatives over his actions during last year's government shutdown, his backing for raising the nation's borrowing authority and his support for moving ahead on immigration overhaul. He drew a primary challenge in his Ohio district against two tea party candidates but easily beat both last week and now faces a token Democratic opponent in November.

"'I have a very good relationship with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle," Boehner said. "Even in my party, even with some people with whom we have disagreement almost every day, I have a good relationship with them as well.

Boehner also briefly discussed a new special select committee that will conduct the eighth investigation of the deadly 2012 attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya. Four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, died in the assault.

Republicans have accused the Obama administration of misleading the American people about the attacks.

Boehner named seven Republicans to the panel last week, but Democrats are divided about whether to participate in the probe they consider an election-year stunt. Democrats have five seats to fill.

Boehner said the investigation will move ahead with or without Democrats.

"I promised Ms. Pelosi that if she appoints members to this, they will be treated fairly," Boehner said. "We've been having a discussion over the last four or five days about how witnesses would be handled, how documents would be handled. We're trying to come to some understanding, up front, of what I mean by fairness."

sherriratcliffe May 12 2014 at 9:29 PM

Get over the Republican thing. There both the same. But Jeb Bush. Really there isn't anyone in a position of leadership that deserves to be there.

mshrug May 12 2014 at 9:58 PM

If another Clinton is going to run in 2016, why not another Bush?

the902inc May 12 2014 at 10:00 PM

There is absolutely NO ONE I/d Vote for!

lchap17156 the902inc May 12 2014 at 10:12 PM

Yet. I will vote whether it is useless or not.

Finchie the902inc May 12 2014 at 10:37 PM

I you don't vote then you give up your complaining rights to whoever is in office.

Frankie May 12 2014 at 10:02 PM

Hillary will mop the floor with the jebster.

Dr. Cal Harris Frankie May 12 2014 at 10:18 PM

I am afraid you are right. McCain signaled surrender when he brough Palin in as a distraction; Romney...... well, even the Republican middle class didn't think that was a good idea. I don't think Jeb has the necessary leadership skills or the personality strength to beat Hillary. My fear is that our party will pull in some nutcase for VP again.

phutchp May 12 2014 at 10:05 PM

Can't say just how uninterested I am in who Boehner thinks would make a good president. A leader John is not. And I hope he is NOT the speaker next year.

Dr. Cal Harris phutchp May 12 2014 at 10:17 PM

I am generally a Republican and you've got an AMEN from me.

dtrevdav1 May 12 2014 at 10:09 PM

It doesn't matter who they throw up. After Hillary's eight years, then Michelle Obama or Elizabeth Warren will drive the stake through conservatives hearts in 2024 for another 2 terms . 16 years of progressives will surely kill off those remaining angry old white male voters.

GUNSLINGER May 13 2014 at 8:46 AM

RINO on RINO! What this country really needs is a Kenyan in the White House! Oh wait, we tried that and got KenyanCare?

dt1064 May 13 2014 at 8:45 AM

Enough with the RINOS already.

Hello Gorgeous!! May 12 2014 at 10:13 PM

Please!! No more Bushes. They are bankers from way back. De-regulated the savings and loan and then set up this last and worst banking debacle. They are masters at de-regulating banks and oil companies. Halliburton would be back in business if it's not already. More trumped up wars. Hell on earth is what we get with the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld show. Spare the world, please.

omacees12 Hello Gorgeous!! May 12 2014 at 10:26 PM

at least you had a COUNTRY back then what did or do you have with CLINTON OBAMA a COUNTRY without SECURITY or people without a COUNTRY with 17 trillions dollars in death you dont have much of anything

Finchie Hello Gorgeous!! May 12 2014 at 10:31 PM

George H W Bush did not deregulate the savings and loans. I think it was Carter and that was done in 1980. Bill Clinton deregulated the commercial banks while he was in office. Haliburton has never been out of the picture. Obama has continued giving them no-bid contracts since he's been in office. Haliburton goes back farther than the '60's when I first remember hearing about them. It would be worth your while to find out what kind of work they do so maybe you need to spare the world with a little knowledge.

wayne.stone33 May 12 2014 at 10:14 PM

Anything this guy recommends, I will do the opposite. He only cares about his own agenda. That doesn't mean I would vote for Hillary. She is a politician and nothing more. I would support Elizabeth Warren. She is a highly regarded economist with the knowledge and determination that would turn this country around. Elizabeth has ruffled feathers on both sides because she fights for the American people without regard to any particular person or party. A very head strong person who is not afraid to step on the toes of people who try to impede her from resolving issues. She is the fresh air that this country needs. And all of this comes from an American who WAS a Republican for the last 40 years. Nevermore.

Finchie wayne.stone33 May 12 2014 at 10:48 PM

Elizabeth Warren isn't an economist. Before going into politics she was a law professor at Harvard specializing in bankruptcy law.