Obama congratulates first openly gay NFL draftee

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Barack Obama sends his congratulations to Michael Sam, the first openly gay player drafted by an NFL team.

Obama calls the selection of Sam "an important step forward."

Obama says that from the playing field to the corporate boardroom, gay and lesbian Americans, quote, "prove every day that you should be judged by what you do and not who you are."

Sam was the Associated Press defensive player of the year in the Southeastern Conference. He was picked late Saturday in the third and final day of the NFL draft by the St. Louis Rams. Sam played college football at the University of Missouri and came out as openly gay in media interviews earlier this year.

© 2014 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED. Learn more about ourPRIVACY POLICY and TERMS OF USE.

hksk84 May 11 2014 at 9:01 PM

I am so happy for you. It takes courage for you to do this.
I wish you and your partner all the best!

mdcaver hksk84 May 11 2014 at 9:25 PM

What a queer statement. Are you gay?

banngbanng mdcaver May 11 2014 at 9:35 PM

I'm a lesbian. And I also am happy for him!!

Flag +2 rate up
mbcem443 hksk84 May 11 2014 at 9:35 PM

Courage? You have cheapened that word with your ignorance. Courage is dying in combat to save your buddies, running into a burning building to save an infant, not performing a perverse act with the cameras rolling. You are an imbecile at best. I would call you a pig, but that would be insulting to swine.

banngbanng mbcem443 May 11 2014 at 9:46 PM

True, courage is all that but it comes in many forms. Being true to oneself amidst the hatred of sheep also takes courage. He is very courageous to put his career on the line. You do know that gay people have no rights protecting them to work do you? Ok well now you do.

Flag +2 rate up
donna May 12 2014 at 12:42 AM

how many of you people posting these comments know someone or have a family member who is gay? the parades, etc. are exactly the same as the Civil Rights movement not so many years ago. it's no wonder America is losing it's status as a global leader. it kinda feels like the 60's here on this comment page...1860's or 1960's. pretty scary.

s2bpeaceh1 May 12 2014 at 1:56 AM

I am coming out!! I am a United States of America, American. I am a disabled war veteran. I pay for my own health insurance, I paid in my Social Security Taxes, I always paid my Income Taxes, I pay for my auto and home insurance. I pay for my own food, No food stamps for me. I am a Christian who married the opposite sex and had children and all of them know who their Father is. All this makes me very different from the millions of illegals and the gays and the moochers of the welfare system. Does this earn me a news headline. DOES THIS EARN ME A NEWS HEADLINE. HELL NO!!!!

sonny May 12 2014 at 3:07 AM

I can't believe this smiley face will spend time on everything except what he has instigated and now is facing our country...

FUN May 12 2014 at 3:14 AM

Obama ought to SUCK , SAM'S YOU KNOW WHAT !

Dennis May 12 2014 at 3:24 AM

Obama says congrats...OK, I guess that matters to someone somewhere...maybe...

jsher42685 May 12 2014 at 3:57 AM

ok i read this and had to look at it more than once. i get what he is trying to say but you are what you do or you are a fake. think about this, you are what you do and not who you are. well who the hell are you if not what you are. i guess we now understand this president. how sad

MIKEY'S SCREEN May 12 2014 at 5:46 AM

OH, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Does Obama and Company have to make any and all news pundits political?

How come he didn't send congratulatory notices to the rest of the draft?

Hmmm. I see!

They were not all black -OR- Gay, which means that they won't vote for his party, right?

tmccull52 May 12 2014 at 5:48 AM

That's just wonderful news! Now, I wonder if President Obama is going to apologize to the rest of the world for the NFL having taken so long to draft an openly gay player. He goes everywhere and apologizes for everything else. That would seem right up his alley.

keithj77441 May 12 2014 at 5:48 AM

RAMS, as in... he rammed it in his bf.

PRDTR keithj77441 May 12 2014 at 8:29 AM