New Jersey Boy Scouts rescue Ann Curry from broken ankle

New Jersey Boy Scouts Rescue Ann Curry From Broken Ankle
A group of New Jersey Boy Scouts were out for a hike when their first aid skills were unexpectedly put to the test.

The group told Scouting Magazine they spotted a fellow hiker on the side of the trail. The troop had no idea at the time it was NBC journalist Ann Curry, who had broken her ankle. She told the scouts to keep going. But they sprang into action instead.

The boys used the basic training as shown in this video to create a similar splint. But even with the extra support of the splint, Curry couldn't walk.

The steep trail is part of the joint Bear Mountain-Harriman State parks in New York. Its terrain made it unsafe for Curry to be carried down.

So, the scouts once again relied on their training to create a makeshift stretcher out of sturdy sticks and a tarp. The boys then worked together to safely help Curry to her husband and son, who had gone ahead to get their vehicle.

It was then that the troop learned who exactly they had just rescued. And a few weeks later each trooper received a letter from Curry.

She wrote "your skill and professionalism were a great comfort to me. ... I feel enormously lucky you came along at just the right moment, and were so willing to help a stranger in need."

Curry's ankle is expected to take 10 to 12 weeks to heal.

jrp1947 May 13 2014 at 12:21 AM

they proved their character by what they did regardless of who was rescued. They upheld their motto, code, and goals with honor and dignity and thank you Mr. (President) Bush for your continued service to our future generations in taking back the precious duty of recognizing their acomplishments in the field of being prepared to serve their fellow human beings.

kayciaccio May 11 2014 at 8:49 PM

Kudos to the Scouts.

nick3071 May 11 2014 at 9:06 PM

Good job Boy Scouts.

mbindls May 11 2014 at 9:17 PM

As the mother of an Eagle Scout, I say, "Great job, Scouts! You were prepared and took care of business. "

GaryWNC May 11 2014 at 9:34 PM

Sorry to use this forum to convey DISGUST with the repeated "Kim Kardasian" crap... please join me to tell AOL/HUFF (whatever) that we DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENOUGH OF KIM KADASIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO CARES ABOUT HER LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happypoolprune GaryWNC May 11 2014 at 10:32 PM

since this isn't about Kim - why don't you post on that site - we don't care to hear about her here - But kudos to the Boy Scouts

pmrspnj2 GaryWNC May 11 2014 at 11:16 PM

WHILE THE PLACEMENT IS NOT GOOD, THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID .
DROP THE POP TRASH STORIES, THEY DISGUST MOST AMERICANS.
THESE BOY SCOUTS DESERVE THAT WEB SPACE.

JOHN LYNN TERRY May 11 2014 at 9:40 PM

It is so wonderful that the Homosexual society was not able to destroy these boys or infiltrate their ranks.

God bless the Boy Scouts of America and all those who supported them in their hour of need.

There is a need for Americans to support this group.

Decency in America is dissapearing due to those who seek to destroy this country.

Let your voices be heard and let decency, even ever so small, remain.

Save the children.

johntyson114 May 11 2014 at 9:44 PM

I'm an Eagle Scout, and trust me, I know first-hand that this organization has its poor points; it sometimes ends up as a politically charged bureaucratic mess of Napoleon-complex adults trying to control people, but this story is what real scouting is. This is what Baden Powell wanted this organization to be. Its about selflessly helping other people; not someone's sexuality or religion. Good job to these scouts, they really exemplify the scout spirit.

leearlenew May 11 2014 at 10:13 PM

That's the Boy Scouts I remember/

The LDS Church is correct. Let's keep them as they are.

jacobsgold May 11 2014 at 10:36 PM

On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to GOD and my country. I proudly spoke those words in 1966.

Brian Hope jacobsgold May 12 2014 at 12:24 AM

So, if a gay Boy Scout says those words, will he be struck down by a heavenly bolt of lightning?

D-ROC Brian Hope May 12 2014 at 12:30 AM

These boys exemplified what the boy scouts represent and you try to tear them down with religious nonsense.

Flag 0 rate up
faquandog jacobsgold May 12 2014 at 1:36 AM

The BSA taught me many things that I still use today. Respect, discipline, and character.
Great organization for young men.

buckeye3118 May 11 2014 at 8:46 PM

Now if they could only rescue Curry from the broken National Barack Channel.