Apple to unveil iPhone 6 in August, earlier than expected: report

IPhone 6 Has Apple Gearing Up For The Most Massive IPhone Launch Yet

(Reuters) - Apple Inc will unveil the next incarnation of its popular iPhone series in August, one month earlier than industry watchers were generally expecting, Taiwanese media reported on Friday citing unidentified supply-chain sources.

A 4.7-inch screen version of the iPhone 6 will reach stores in August, the Economic Daily News reported without specifying which markets would receive the phone first.

A 5.5-inch or 5.6-inch model will be released in September, the newspaper said, as the iPhone 5 series was previously.

People involved in the supply chain had earlier confirmed to Reuters that there will be a 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 and a 5.5-inch version.

Together, the Economic Daily News said 80 million iPhone 6 handsets would be produced this year.

Industry watchers have said increasing the iPhone's screen size from 4 inches would help Apple regain market share from competitors such as Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, who they say have responded to consumer desire for more screen size.

Representatives for Apple could not be reached for comment.

Representatives for Taiwanese iPhone contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co Ltd and smartphone camera lens maker Largan Precision Co Ltd, both mentioned in the Economic Daily News report, had no comment.

(Reporting by Michael Gold; Editing by Christopher Cushing)

Leslie May 11 2014 at 11:06 AM

Good! I have been regretting trading in my Galaxy for an iPhone because of the screen size (and lack of "swipe" capabilities). Now I can upgrade and have some of the best of both worlds...

mikemaj82 Leslie May 11 2014 at 6:35 PM

Don't do it. You'll regret it.

mikemaj82 May 11 2014 at 6:34 PM

My wife just did upgrade her iPhone....to a Galaxy S5. Her iPhone 4 was garbage.

Ed May 11 2014 at 7:11 PM

I hate my Galaxy S4 to friggin' big for the pocket. Also, pain in the butt to take photos.

lisa_ceh_nd May 11 2014 at 7:19 PM

I want the iphone to stay the same size it is now, any bigger and it would be hard to handle.

drpmindmender May 11 2014 at 8:24 PM

Apple is offering more ways for people to waste their money on a gizmo that is smarter than theey are!

Gordon Hilgers May 11 2014 at 9:00 PM

I hate planned obsolescence. One would think Apple executives (and executives of all other manufacturers of products planned to need replacing) would one day realize that, by gosh, they've already got enough money to feed an entire town for 100 years and give the rest of us a break once in awhile.

I'm staying low tech because I don't want to become a living ATM machine for millionaires.

Gordon Hilgers Gordon Hilgers May 11 2014 at 9:03 PM

That said, the family toaster I grew up with lasted 40 years because it was built at a time when people could not afford to replace every little thing every six months or so. The refrigerator my parents bought before I was born (I'm 59) still works. I understand the need to keep us all productive with money in our pockets, but seriously, is that actually happening right now?

Jerry Mainer Gordon Hilgers May 11 2014 at 11:24 PM

My 60 year freezer weighs about 125 lbs, has thick walls, and holds 20 cu. ft. of stuff, and guess what ... it still works like it was new. The fast freeze compartment is wonderful and freezes faster than most new models do in 12 hours. It's big and bulky ... but boy does it work great. Over my dead body will it ever leave my basement. It has quality built into it before quality became a hip buz word. The older generation knew how to build things to last. Not like the **** of today that is programmed to die in 6-7 years. Bring back the old geezers and their quality workmanship. Jerry Mainer, Gambrills Maryland

Flag +6 rate up
doonooch Gordon Hilgers May 12 2014 at 8:25 AM

been driving my 25 year old volvo 240 DL since it was new. It's a dog, but built like a tank.

Flag +3 rate up
Amaya Gordon Hilgers May 12 2014 at 9:44 AM

You do realize this creates jobs, right? The people who design them and such have jobs because they come up with these, you do realize.

And no one is making you buy it, just like you said you're "staying low tech". Problem fixed.

Gator May 11 2014 at 10:51 PM

Hey, It's about going green dosen't everyone realize that??? The real going green would be to make things last like they did years ago. The only thing that is going green is the execs wallet because they produce a bunch of trend dogs that have to have the latest gadget that should have been put out years ago. Instead they let technology trickle down with the "newest" thing every 6 months...One day people will stop being followers or robots. Maybe?

gkylemoore4103 May 11 2014 at 11:10 PM

how much longer do we have to wait for the apple 666, no man will be able to buy or sell without it.

YO REF gkylemoore4103 May 12 2014 at 1:59 AM

iT WILL BE THE i PHONE 6 satan

mikey gkylemoore4103 May 12 2014 at 11:47 AM

that's a good one !!!

Yo bucketlist42 May 12 2014 at 1:14 AM

Every market has a purchaser base. Apple has tapped into the population of people (mostly young techno-savvy kids) who will stand in line overnight to have the latest gear in their hands. Then the rest of us think, "If people are willing to wait in rain for a gadget, it must really be something. Maybe I'd better get one." So then the holders of Apple's latest gear fall into two camps: those line-standers who drop out of real people contact to play with their new purchases, and the rest of us who have the latest gear with features we will never use.

Amaya Yo bucketlist42 May 12 2014 at 9:40 AM

And then there are people who just like Apple and/or the iPhone in genreal. Like me. Ones who simply upgrade when they get one with their phone company cause they're too smart to spend hundreds of dollars on a phone (lol). With luck the 5S and 5C will go down in August, when my contract is up and I get to upgrad or maybe they'll have a 6 sitting at my Sprint store for a reasonable price (good luck with that, right? hah)

Richard May 12 2014 at 4:06 AM

if you don't want it don't buy it and stop whinning.

1414244199490