The NFL draft's top picks share about their moms

NEW YORK (AP) - Top prospects in the NFL draft took some special guests to Radio City Music Hall's red carpet: their mothers.

Before the clock started ticking Thursday in the first round, the AP asked players and their moms to share stories about each other ahead of Mother's Day on Sunday. The players told us what they most loved and admired about their moms, and the moms gave us a few of their proudest moments and most precious memories.

Blake Bortles, the Central Florida quarterback picked third by Jacksonville, said it best of his mother, Suzy: "She's my hero."

Here's more from the NFL Class of 2014 and their moms:

___

JADEVEON CLOWNEY, picked first by the Houston Texans: "She did everything she could to raise me to the young man I am today. She took care of me and did a great job. You can't tell? Look at me!"

JOSENNA CLOWNEY: "That's my baby. He was not this outgoing like he is today."

___

TEDDY BRIDGEWATER surprised his mom, a breast cancer survivor, with a pink Cadillac for her birthday earlier this week, provided by the car company. The Minnesota Vikings' pick had promised her the car when he was 9 years old.

"She told me that I'm blessed and God blessed me with talent so use it to the best of my ability and take advantage. She told me to have a purpose in life and that's one thing that I take away from her, besides her fight, determination and sacrifices that she made. To live that purpose out loud."

ROSE MURPHY: "When he was in third grade he was talking about the pink Escalade. I love it! I can't wait to get it back home to drive it."

___

SAMMY WATKINS, who was picked fourth by Buffalo: "She's beautiful, she's wonderful. She's supported me all my life. That's the one that birthed me, that's the one that disciplined me, took care of me all my life and grinded and struggled for me."

NICOLE McMILLER: "Everything in Sammy's life has been precious to me. His college years were precious because we never thought we would be able to afford him going to college."

___

C.J. MOSLEY, picked 17th by Baltimore: "My whole personality is based off her. She's laid back and quiet most of the time and I'm pretty much the same way. She raised me and my brother right and I'm proud to say that I grew up in a happy home. She was willing to do whatever she could to put food on the table and do whatever she could to keep us safe."

TRACY MOSELY: "Walking across the stage getting his degree. That was the best."

___

KHALIL MACK, picked fifth by Oakland: "Oh man, she's beautiful. Her persistence, her intelligence and her wisdom. She's very wise. Her guidance has put me in the position to be able to talk to you."

YOLANDA MACK: "When he was a little boy he would get up every morning at 7 and listen to praise and worship on TV."

___

TAYLOR LEWAN, picked 11th by Tennessee: "She's always been a person, like myself, who goes to the beat of their own drum and is not really focused on money, just kind of enjoying yourself and being yourself. And she really taught me that."

KELLY RILEY: "He's kind of Mr. Tough Guy but then he does this little soft, sweet 'I love you mom' thing. He has a very tender heart. He always had that really loving heart."

___

MIKE EVANS, who has a 2-year-old daughter and was picked seventh by Tampa Bay: "She's a strong woman. I watched her struggle a little bit when we were growing up, making sure we had everything we needed, just doing the best she could for us. I want to give her the world."

HEATHER KILGORE: "He never gave up. There were plenty of times he'd be upset and mad: 'I quit, I quit.' The next day he'd get back up."

judylbo May 09 2014 at 2:02 PM

To all the people who have made nasty, sarcastic, insulting remarks about the mothers of these young men, your mothers are the ones who did not do a very good job of raising a human being who possesses compassion, caring, understanding and love for your fellow man. Mom was remiss in her responsibilities for sending a decent human being into society. We all suffer for her irresponsibility.

daradams judylbo May 09 2014 at 2:58 PM

Huh - I have not seen any... are you making up stories again?

bizmoney May 09 2014 at 11:24 AM

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL THE MOTHERS THAT PUT UP WITH US, FOR THEIR KIND DEEDS, AND THEIR LOVE.

GOD BLESS YOU. WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH.

prubin112 May 09 2014 at 11:18 AM

Wow, the haters are out in force. It's Mothers Day, so that's why there's comments from the mothers . Why does it bother you haters so much that these young african american men are going to earn a solid living off their ability as football players? You'd complain if they didn't have jobs and now you complain when they do have jobs. All of their mothers seemed to have done a good job raising them and were proud of their accomplishments. Why all the negativity?

cabinsmoke prubin112 May 09 2014 at 11:24 AM

You need to do a little research on welfare. Single moms drain the system. And it comes right out of the pockets of those who go to work 40+ hours a week to try and support their own families. Any more questions as to "why all the negativity"?

sondravvag cabinsmoke May 09 2014 at 11:34 AM

I worked as a nurse in a welfare clinic in Chicago........the scamming of the public and the welfare system was monumental. Many of the patients spent hours figuring out how they could "scam" even better, for example wanting prescription meds that they would then sell on the street. MOST were able bodied men and women. It was sickening and there were not enough social workers to track them down and see who was on the level and really needed help. Many were living better than I!!!!! A broken system and those who really need help were not getting enough due to those who scammed!!

Flag 0 rate up
mcdsum cabinsmoke May 09 2014 at 11:57 AM

Many single moms who need public assistance to get by ARE working 40+ hours a week......Why are you so angry???

Flag 0 rate up
danyelle69marks prubin112 May 09 2014 at 11:44 AM

for some, negativity is all they have. it's their lifeblood. for them there is never any good in anything. so just leave them to their miserable existance.

kingnus May 09 2014 at 10:58 AM

what about the fathers?

junior kingnus May 09 2014 at 11:22 AM

Oh they will be showing up now wanting some of that money.

wilrn kingnus May 09 2014 at 2:01 PM

Oh my God guys, the article is about Mother's Day!!!!!

kate May 09 2014 at 11:43 AM

Why are so many asking about fathers? I thought our society had determined fathers weren't necessary anymore.

Dee May 09 2014 at 10:30 AM

It helps to read the article before you comment !!

The first sentence .... "Before the clock started ticking Thursday in the first round, the AP asked players and their moms to share stories about each other ahead of Mother's Day on Sunday".

b515 May 09 2014 at 10:18 AM

Life usually is hard when bad decisions are made. Having kids at 15 years old is a bad decision.

iconkestrell May 09 2014 at 10:08 AM

The problem with most of these athletes ends up being the family that will suck them dry of all their earnings. Most will be bankrupt within months of retirement because they fail to realize that in their chosen profession, they're on borrowed time. They could have a career ending injury on the first drive of their first game but they spend their money like it's going to be a constant stream of cash coming in for the rest of their life. Hopefully they have some sense and buy a modest home, drive a modest car, and plan for the future when football is no longer their business. These guys signing these contracts are like lottery winners and they should treat the earnings as a one-time payout. Plan you guys, plan!

LKG May 09 2014 at 9:57 AM

Pay for your kids!

bobtruth May 09 2014 at 9:52 AM

This guy will now become very rich. Of course, he reads on a 5th grade level and cannot compute simple math problems, but what the heck. This is America.