Helene's first haircut ... in 29 years

A Woman's First Haircut in Nearly 30 Years

"I've never gotten a haircut and my hair is almost six feet long," says 29-year-old "Rachael Ray" viewer Helene, who is actually shorter than her hair.

"It's at the point where I can step on it; I pick it up, I carry it." She credits her mom with getting her hooked on the long locks. "She had two boys and then I came along, and so I think she finally had the little girl with the long hair... she put big the bows in my hair all the time, and as I got older I just liked it, and I kept it."

But it's now so long that it takes an hour to brush and braid in the morning. And, with her impending graduation from graduate school and budding career in industrial psychology, Helene is ready for her first haircut.

She's taking the plunge right in Rachael Ray's studio. After the first chunk is cut, leaving the rest around shoulder length, there are no tears and she is excited to let hair pro Kyan Douglas complete her new look.

"It feels like a release!" she says. When she sees her shorter, wavy 'do for the first time she is thrilled and remarks, "I feel amazing."

We think she looks amazing, too.

How long have you gone without a haircut? Can anyone beat 29 years? Let us know in the comments below.

Lea Mitchell May 12 2014 at 11:18 PM

Now she is just "Ordinary" while before she was"Unique".

Frank Johnson Lea Mitchell May 13 2014 at 9:26 AM

No fool

nikkitytom May 12 2014 at 8:41 PM

No she does NOT look "stunning" .... The haircut is atrocious .... uneven and unkempt. Now you wouldn't pick her out in a crowd. And the color is awful too.

With fabulous hair like hers, I would perhaps cut it to knee length to avoid stepping or tripping on it. Then wear that pretty coral dress. She's naturally beautiful .... with her long hair UNCUT and a nice dress ... then she would be "stunning".

One more women lured into having her crown of glory hacked off. When I had lovely long thick hair, I had a lot of female friends whining at me to have it "cut". I was too smart to fall for that little trick. None of my male friends ever suggested it ... hummmm ?????

Frank Johnson nikkitytom May 13 2014 at 9:37 AM

No fool

Kim Ann May 12 2014 at 12:07 PM

I hope they gave it to a charity to make wigs out of, for people with cancer..

sueat103 May 12 2014 at 12:48 PM

Hope she donated it .... It is a huge improvement!

john May 12 2014 at 12:53 PM

There's a first time for everything...she looks stunning!

emberbb May 12 2014 at 1:32 PM

She looks professional and stunning. This is what she needed for 20 years. All the money she saved by not getting haircuts, highlights, etc., could help pay her student loans!!!!

safariwy2 May 12 2014 at 1:45 PM

Did all that Hair go to Love of Locks for Cancer patients?

hmadden May 12 2014 at 2:09 PM

She went from a woman who was truly unique and beautiful to a woman who looks like....everybody else. The hair stylist should be ashamed of himself. He destroyed what was essentially a work of art.

nunziocc2 hmadden May 12 2014 at 2:24 PM

what are you talking about ?? SHE is gorgeous with the new look!!! AS a man & hairstilyst ,she is stunning now... vs the look of before !!!

moudsie hmadden May 12 2014 at 2:31 PM

You have got to be kidding--first- can you imagine washing that hair and then combing it? She looked stupid--just like that quasi country singer -- Crystal what'shername--she looks much better now. I can't imagine dragging all that hair around.

alspoolhall May 12 2014 at 2:18 PM

I don't agree with hmadden's post who thinks she went from unique to looking like everyone else. I think she looks wonderful with that head of beautiful, healthy hair, which is easier to take care of than the goofy hair down past the floor.

moonakiss007 alspoolhall May 12 2014 at 3:51 PM

ahhh not really my hair is down past my but, very easy to care for, no fuss no muss,

m4christ2 May 12 2014 at 11:46 AM

was waaay too long to look good. she could have left it more at waist length, but it is lovely the way it is now.

Claire m4christ2 May 12 2014 at 12:13 PM

woman is a nut job she did not cut it for what reason she looked stupid

aledobears Claire May 12 2014 at 1:30 PM

a nut job??? lol...you are a perfect hypocrite -

Flag +1 rate up