Doctors floored by what they found in newborn's belly

Newborn Has Three Pound Tumor Removed From Belly

A newborn baby is recovering after a 3-lb. tumor was removed from her belly.

Dave and Keenan Sanders noticed swelling in their six-week-old daughter Leighton's abdomen.

They initially wrote it off as gas, but an x-ray revealed a cancerous tumor that eventually grew to the size of a cantaloupe.

Surgeons had to remove Leighton's intestines, including part of her stomach, pancreas and gallbladder, all of which was damaged by the the large growth.

While it appears as if the cancer is under control,
the now 8-week-old still has a long road to recovery.

Surgeons will eventually have to recreate a drainage system in the infant.

Keenan told ABC News,"It seems miraculous to me that they can essentially build a human. That's the end result we're hoping for. It would be a miraculous normal life considering where she is right now."

In the meantime, friends set up a Go Fund Me fundraising campaign to help with expenses. So far they've raised almost 24 thousand dollars for little Leighton.

The family is awaiting tests to see if she is cancer free.

Gerrie May 12 2014 at 11:55 AM

earth is satan's control, if you don't believe that look around you! more people have been killed in wars the past 100 years than all history of wars combined...look at the filth in our rivers, lakes and oceans...we ruin our own food supply with pesticides....this isn't God's work!

John Gerrie May 12 2014 at 12:58 PM

No, they're busy ruining God's creation, playing God, themselves, and laughing us off calling us "tree huggers." I was alive in the seventies when said "tree huggers" protested "economical" nuclear power. Prices for electricity became more expensive, the rich got richer and we've had The Mile Island, Chernoble and are still having problems in Japan. People are protesting shooting chemicals into our hills around the largest fresh water supply in the country with stupid landowners thinking they're going to get rich, plant and animal life die, parts of the country are struggling for fresh water and The Man is getting richer. And now they're finding new ways to make drinkable water out of sewage and we'll be forced to pay for it. I'm with ya' Gerri ... but I'm afraid the rest of the country is comfortable on their couches and more concerned over Honny Boo-Boo then to take the responsibility to do something about it. Me, I'm protesting in Albany every chance I get.

kentuckycowby John May 12 2014 at 2:18 PM

It's obama's fault.

Flag 0 rate up
cathygalietti John May 12 2014 at 10:27 PM

Good for you John! We all should be protesting !

Flag 0 rate up
lillysbelladonna May 12 2014 at 2:01 PM

Thank God they were able to find and remove the tumor I pray she is cancer free and recovers quickly thru her other surgeries as I pray for her family.

truegritrebels May 12 2014 at 2:03 PM

My prayers are with each of you. Leighton is BEAUTIFUL. God will take care of her.

Jeremiah May 12 2014 at 2:06 PM

I am floored that the doctors were floored. Were these real doctors, or were they just pretending to be medicine men? I guess it doesn't take much to be floored anymore... Moral of the story: be professional or go flip burgers.

al12exb May 12 2014 at 2:07 PM

EVERYBODY PRAY FOR A HAPPY OUTCOME AND A LONG HEALTHY LIFE FOR THIS BABY.

Grace May 12 2014 at 2:20 PM

when I brought my newborn home and changed his diaper, i saw a less than golfball size lump in groin. It wouldpop out and go back in. I went to MD immediately and he could not elicit this growth, but since I am an RN, he took my word for it but could not operate till he was 2 months old as his tissues were much too new and thin. He also said he would open the other side because there is an 80% chance there will be one there. The surgery wentwell, there was hernia both sides, repaired and fine for years. Also, while we did not need this, yes a new "Plumbing sytem" can be made for her I so hope there is no more cancer,

kentuckycowby May 12 2014 at 2:21 PM

It's Obama's fault.

elnpet May 12 2014 at 2:28 PM

You just never know do you ?

Brad & Janet May 12 2014 at 2:36 PM

A prayer for this precious child, and hope that the cancer is gone, and will not come back. Yes, the doctors can rebuild her insides, but only God can make it all work. Here is the hope it all goes well.

fullsrvlaw May 12 2014 at 2:41 PM

Poor baby. It is ridiculous to think you are having a hard day when you read a story like this and know that she has so many surgeries in store for her and her parents have so much heartache in store for them.

franksmoody fullsrvlaw May 12 2014 at 3:10 PM

Being childless, that's their problem. I don't care.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal