Strong earthquake shakes Mexico's Pacific coast

By JOSE ANTONIO RIVERA
Associated Press

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) -- A strong earthquake shook the southern Pacific coast of Mexico and several states, including the capital on Thursday, sending frightened people into unseasonal torrential rains that were also bearing down on the coast.

The 6.4-magnitude quake in southern Guerrero state had an epicenter about 9 miles (15 kilometers) north of Tecpan de Galeana, according to the U.S. Geological Survey, and was felt about 171 miles (277 kilometers) miles away in Mexico City, where office workers streamed into the streets away from high-rise buildings.

There were no immediate reports of injuries or major damage.

Tecpan, near the epicenter, shook ferociously, causing a "wave of panic" and some roofs to cave in, said Mayor Crisoforo Otero Heredia. But there were no injuries.

In Chilpancingo, the capital of Guerrero state, a wall collapsed and in Acapulco civil protection crews had found nothing so far except scared citizens who were forced to take refuge in the heavy rain that was hitting the region.

In Mexico City, elegantly dressed businesswoman Carmen Lopez was leaving a downtown office building when the ground began to shake. She dashed across the street to a leafy median as light poles swayed violently above her.

"That was just too scary," said Lopez, as she quickly started dialing her cellphone to alert friends and family.

Behind her, thousands of people poured out from neighboring office buildings, following pre-planned evacuation routes to areas considered safe from any potential of falling glass.

The quake had a depth of 15 miles (23 kilometers). The USGS downgraded the magnitude from 6.8.

A 7.2-magnitude quake with an epicenter about 40 miles (66 kilometers) from Thursday's quake shook central and southern Mexico on April 18.

That quake occurred along a section of the Pacific Coast known as the Guerrero Seismic Gap, a 125-mile (200-kilometer) section where tectonic plates meet and have been locked, meaning huge amounts of energy are being stored up with potentially devastating effects.

In 1911, a magnitude-7.6 temblor struck along the section, according to the USGS.

The USGS says the Guerrero Gap has the potential to produce a quake as strong as magnitude 8.4, potentially much more powerful than the magnitude-8.1 quake that killed 9,500 people and devastated large sections of Mexico City in 1985. The 1985 quake was centered 250 miles (400 kilometers) from the capital on the Pacific Coast.

Mexico City is vulnerable to distant earthquakes because much of it sits atop the muddy sediments of drained lake beds. They jiggle like jelly when the quake waves hit.

JohnBoydStrother May 09 2014 at 11:22 AM

I've been to Mexico, it is really a nice place. The racial hatred is on our side of the border, not on their side. This hate on our side causes troubles on the other side. Many people think all the people whom has come from our southern neighboring countries, all come from Mexico. Shows that the IQ of the haters are below average. The haters would make great pledges to the KKK. Face it, Blind hatred is the basics of the KKK and the haters are just want to be Klan members.

mclkarim JohnBoydStrother May 09 2014 at 12:12 PM

I am sure all of the Mexican gangs around here would agree with you.

michelletlopez mclkarim May 09 2014 at 1:32 PM

Most of the so-called Mexican gangs are NOT Mexicans, but US born. Yeah, they are a problem, but it is a problem created in the US, much like the African American gangs, also a product of the US

Flag 0 rate up
johnpapajack mclkarim May 09 2014 at 3:23 PM

and the Skinheads with Nazi tats....not so much

Flag 0 rate up
bevskey May 08 2014 at 11:56 PM

What scares me , is that when I woke up at 7;00 AM EDT. I said to myself " There is going to be a big earthquake today, and now when I sign on to AOL at 11:30 PM EDT , I read about an earthquake in Mexico. I only wish that when I said that in the morning , I would have had some kind of feeling about where the earthquake was going to be. No I am not claiming to be some nut claiming to predict things like this. I still dont even understand why I thought that thought this morning. But it did happen. Maybe it was just a subconscious feeling because of all the increased seismic activity around the world.

massagenut36 May 08 2014 at 11:20 PM

It should have been a 12.2 magnitude.

Living Legend May 08 2014 at 10:49 PM

Hopefully the wave of panic won't ebb northward..

Michael May 09 2014 at 10:14 AM

Get the money from the drug cartels to fix everything!!!

xonixaprxo Michael May 09 2014 at 11:15 AM

@MICHAEL--Which cartels?The ones Americans pay for the drugs they buy from them and sell guns to?Go take your loony pills and smoke the funny looking cigarettes you smoke that come from all cartels in the world.

michelletlopez xonixaprxo May 09 2014 at 1:41 PM

The original poster probably won't read this but I am going to go ahead and try, just in case there is ONE open minded person on this thread. I live in north central Mexico and the cartels are nothing to joke about. I am afraid to leave home. I have nightmares all the time about being kidnapped or worse. I am afraid to travel to other parts of my state because the cartels often block the highways and steal cars and other belongings, or, again, worse. I feel helpless to change anything. I live in a rural area where police come through town every ten days. The local police are fine for every day things, but they are not trained to handle anything major. There have been gun fights in nearby towns, usually between narcos and police, but sometimes there are innocent citizens involved. But for most people life goes on, people go to work, come home, have families and do what people everywhere want to do. Live in peace.

Flag 0 rate up
csp2go xonixaprxo May 09 2014 at 4:14 PM

Legalize drugs and you will destroy the power of the cartels and corrupt officials. Yes, absolutely there will be a surge in usage, but after people figure out that you end up dead from addiction, drug usage will be far less than it is now. How could it be any worse than the situation we have now?

Flag 0 rate up
xonixaprxo May 08 2014 at 9:56 PM

Wow I can't believe all the commotion and the racist remarks,I went right along with you people badmouthing DUMBAMA,i don't like him I called him a liar and a cheat and I still believe that,The biggest lies and promises were made to the Mexican's and other minorities,He would tell them"SI SE PUEDE" that means "YES IT CAN BE DONE",he was talking about making the immigrants citizens,I believed in him then,But he was lieing to all latino's he wanted our votes and thinking he was honest we gave it to him,he led us like animals to slaughter,He is worse than I can have imagined,everyone was calling those that were against him racist,I said I wasn't a racist I just didn't like his lies .I have all kinds of people as friends I don't care about their color or where they are from,we are all human and deserve a chance.Im not going to become racist just because I hear you really showing your bigotry and racism now,you are human and have feelings,well,Now you are Paulin,Alpayo,& Dumbama.KARMA IS

dan_crabtree May 08 2014 at 9:40 PM

yet another million or so new democrat voters signing up for all the freebies are on the way....enjoy...

ramonbatt dan_crabtree May 08 2014 at 11:31 PM

You have it wrong. The Latino community is not stupid. They don't for get like most Americas do. Good luck lying to them again?

xonixaprxo dan_crabtree May 09 2014 at 5:16 AM

I hope people are not talking about Mexicans being lazy and getting freebies,because that is a lie.They work hard at anything just to keep their families toguether,they can't receive any freebies.But I know a lot of American's who don't want to work,they are out their waiting for their welfare checks to buy drugs and alchohol,and feed their kids a can of soup or potato chips for dinner,they send their kids to school all nasty looking,while they stay at home and get high,and yhe middle class most of them get cought at work steling money from their employers and get kicked out of their jobs.I hear about more Americans killing,stealing,and ending up in jail,where they get exersize and schooling and three meals a day,they can spend years in jail and like it so much they commit crimes to end back in jail where everything is free for them.And where did the terrorist that brought down the towers in 9/11 thay didn't cross the Mexican border they came from Canada.But Canadians are allowed here.

endmilll May 08 2014 at 9:34 PM

Five bucks says poncho and cisco peed there pants

ramonbatt endmilll May 08 2014 at 11:33 PM

FYI Pedro might run for office? I will vote for him vs another lying cheating democrat!

xonixaprxo ramonbatt May 09 2014 at 5:25 AM

I will vote for him along with you,ramonbatt.

Flag 0 rate up
xonixaprxo endmilll May 09 2014 at 5:23 AM

@endmilll- Why don't you go to Mexico and say that to poncho and cisco?You wont only pee in your pants but you'll s*** on them,and you will be eating the s*** your talking.

Velocity105 May 08 2014 at 9:32 PM

Give up the drugs, the gangs, the cartels, the lawlessness, the corruption and maybe the earthquakes will go away. Zeus be not proud. Haw haw

ramonbatt Velocity105 May 08 2014 at 11:36 PM

You mean here in the USA? Just take a look next door. White black yellow brown? That is what you are talking about? Drug users and pushers? You are talking about your own neighbors. Hahhh Hahhh!

xonixaprxo Velocity105 May 09 2014 at 5:28 AM

@Velocity105-Why doesn't America stop buying the drugs from all latino contries and selling them guns,stupid!!!!

Angie May 09 2014 at 3:04 AM

I have to say one thing to say to you racist who are allway"s ready to talk **** and always ready to tear down the hispanic mexican race and culture. You open up your piehole and talk allot of crap. funny how you dont like the mexican but you want too look like them out their burning in the sun trying to get tanned or in tanning bed and also eating our mexican foods oh but you dont like the mexicans. yeah I will be hearing allot of remark but franky I dont give a dame it's the truth and ya I said it.

Back to School Deal

A new item every day in August
Back to School deal