Officer gives teen a bed

Officer Goes Above Call Of Duty To Help Teen In Need

Check this out: A police officer in Sumter, South Carolina goes beyond his call-of-duty to help out an upset teenager in need.

"My heart went out for him."

13-year-old Cameron Simmons called Sumter Police a few weeks ago. He was upset after fighting with his mom, and told the police he didn't want to live there anymore. Officer Gaetano Acerra responded to his call.

"I said you have it good. You have a roof over your head... and I told him that I'd try to help him out."

"I thought the little things he needed, I could give him to make, you know, him a happier kid."

The Sumter Police Department posted a photo of the two hugging in front of Cameron's home. The post read:

"He saw that a young boy was sleeping on a floor because he didn't have a bed, and did his homework there as well. The officer decided to get this young man a bed to sleep on, a desk to do his homework, and a Wii to have some fun."

Acerra has been getting a lot of attention for this deed, and says he didn't do it for publicity.

"I did it because I could, and it was the right thing to do."

According to WIS-TV, Cameron's mom didn't want to be on camera, but says they're blessed the officer came into their lives.

"I'm glad I could help you. I want you to know that."

Acerra says he plans to get the teen a mirror and dresser, too. The two have formed a friendship, and Acerra wants to stay in touch with Cameron and make a positive impact in the boy's life.

This story might remind you of another officer whose unselfish character gained a lot of news attention back in March.

Officer Neil Rocha gave back to his San Antonio community by dedicating his work break to a game of one-on-one basketball with a kid he didn't even know.

Definitely two officers who go beyond the call of duty.

Art LeBlanc May 09 2014 at 12:56 PM

I salute you.

ginny May 09 2014 at 1:10 PM

I think officer came to the boys needs and didnt walk away bravo//

sabaari May 09 2014 at 1:13 PM

So heart warming to read this. I am so happy that things are changing little by little. Thanks to the officer for his good deed

Phyllis May 09 2014 at 1:15 PM

Thank you both officers you have made the world a better place with your kindness. We see so much bad stuff, it is good to have something that touches your heart like this did to me. God Bless you both, and God bless our military active and veterans.

maddball2 May 09 2014 at 1:19 PM

Angels Do Exist! Thank you God!!!

bet1pau2 May 09 2014 at 1:20 PM

WOW! this is what america should be about I dont know this officer but he will always be a person that will be in my heart and thoughts.They say somethings are suppose to happen and I believe this is one of them. God heard his plea for help and a bond has been made. Thank you officer for your compassion thoughtfulness, and integrity.

mtn153 May 09 2014 at 1:22 PM

I spent my whole carrier in Public Safety. There are thousands of police officers out there just like these two fellows...... Very few of their good deeds ever get mentioned..... Back in my day, we had a draft and many a police officer offered an offending young man the choice of jail or military service if they "volunteered tomorrow"... The service made young men out of those prison bound young boys..... I was one of them and that Police Officer saved my life.....

steverotert mtn153 May 09 2014 at 1:43 PM

I do charity work and help out in my community as much as I can, along with others. We don't ever get mentioned or any attention, don't want any, so why should only the few police officers who actually do something positive get recognized?

bsalley mtn153 May 09 2014 at 3:13 PM

I find it very strange that nobody mentioned the police officer that
bought a pair a boots for a homeless man!

fwlrcj May 09 2014 at 1:32 PM

There are good people everywhere and in every profession and there are bad. We need to see more of the good even though media knows it doesn't get the attention like a bad story does. Blame the media for not enough good stories like this.

tyme May 09 2014 at 1:44 PM

Why ...oh....why don't we hear stories like this one! Good news instead junk.
This officer was loving and generous, as are so many 'quiet givers' in our
world. More stories like this! This officer responded wonderfully and I
know it will make a difference in his life, as well as the young mans.

He's out there! May 09 2014 at 1:07 PM

I wish you all would get beyond color. I've done very generous things for people of all races, ages, and genders and never once was any of these a factor in my deed. This police officer is a pretty cool guy who did (and continues to do) and very thoughtful and generous thing.

Alunda He's out there! May 09 2014 at 1:15 PM

Unfortunately, people can never seem to get over their bad attitudes. All we can do is not join their cruel and pitiful ranks. Long live love and those of us who would rather spread love instead of hatred and other insanities!