Netflix makes push into documentaries

NEW YORK (AP) - Netflix is making a push into documentaries, with the subscription service announcing deals on Thursday to premiere four new films in the next few months.

Netflix has always made non-fiction films available to subscribers, but until recently they have been projects initially made for theatrical release or on television networks. Netflix said it now wants filmmakers to make their work specifically for the service, or use Netflix to offer the first wide distribution.

The first of the four new films to be released will be "Battered Bastards of Baseball," about a defunct minor league baseball team. It will premiere on Netflix on July 11.

"Mission Blue," a documentary about marine biologist Sylvia Earle and her campaign to create a network of protected marine sanctuaries, is set for Aug. 15. Later this year the service will premiere "E-Team," a film about human rights workers from the makers of the Oscar-winning documentary "Born Into Brothels," and "Print the Legend," about 3-D printing.

Lisa Nishimura, head of Netflix's documentary unit, said the service is intentionally trying to present films on a wide variety of topics. Its selling point to filmmakers is that Netflix will make the documentaries available on the service for a lengthy period of time. TV networks and theatrical releases can offer a bigger burst of attention, but the films are generally only available for a short period.

mikrisinger May 09 2014 at 11:01 PM

I am not happy with current service. The movie choices are antiquated and very limited in selection. It was my desire to quit making runs to the local Red-box so I wouldn't have to leave home. But because the movies I want to watch are not on Netflix, I have to go anyway . I will probably cancel soon because I don't hardly use Netflix because of the poor selection. Of course I would not be willing to pay more to Netflix even if their movies were more current, as I normally only watch about 4 movies a month anyway, usually Friday or Saturday night.

Crissa mikrisinger May 09 2014 at 11:46 PM

They can't show content they can't get the rights to.

If only exclusive content was only legal for a short duration after it was created...

mikrisinger Crissa May 10 2014 at 12:21 AM

Then why does Red-Box get it

Flag 0 rate up
Kay mikrisinger May 10 2014 at 12:33 AM

You must have a different Netflix than I have! I am able to put movies in my Queue before they leave the movie theaters. I have even put movies in the queue before they even open at the theater. I wouldn't quite call that antiquated!

mikrisinger Kay May 10 2014 at 12:44 AM

Yeh I guess. I have the 7.99/month version which is about the most I'm going to pay. Can anyone else substantiate what Kay says? I'm not seeing those kind of movies in my queue!

Flag 0 rate up
Jason Kay May 12 2014 at 8:36 AM

You two are on different subscriptions. What Kay says is right... for disc service.

Flag 0 rate up
dash.flash May 09 2014 at 12:11 AM

Will these be genuine "documentaries" or just more left wing propaganda films like fat slug Michael Moore makes and gets rich from?

ralphmuir dash.flash May 09 2014 at 3:01 AM

Michael Moore propaganda? Haha! Whatever.....

Diane ralphmuir May 09 2014 at 3:39 AM

Actually more like BS from Michael Moore.

Flag +2 rate up
dvettecrzy May 09 2014 at 12:08 AM

Been with them many years, over 1400 movies watched. My Queue is backed up for over 6 months now and everything says "Unknown Availibility". Well I guess their having trouble catching up. Been very slow since $ increase........

cpruitt221 May 08 2014 at 11:55 PM

I am going to cancel netflix if they don't start to include newer movies-not tv-I can watch tv shows on dish

mazdapub May 08 2014 at 11:07 PM

As long as freedom of thought and expression is not suppressed. I always worry about big corpoartions trying to "educate" our popualtion, especially the youngr midns. I'm willing to bet the pretty soon netflix and the likes of it, will be dictating the will of its stock holders and the lobbyists.

dash.flash mazdapub May 09 2014 at 12:13 AM

Not to worry! The left with indoctrination factories known as "the public school system" is already doing an excellent job of "molding young minds" aka brainwashing.

mtnpagan dash.flash May 09 2014 at 1:33 AM

One nasty post after another. A little off subject aren't you dashy?

Flag 0 rate up
cact25 May 08 2014 at 11:01 PM

I'm not about to pay to watch a documentary.

livoak810 cact25 May 08 2014 at 11:38 PM

its included in the 7.99 a month plan... so its a bonus.. and besides.. theres some pretty good stuff out there,.,, not like the 70's -90's crap

bobbiyork3 livoak810 May 09 2014 at 12:06 AM

Some good Documentry

Flag 0 rate up
yayabeanes livoak810 May 09 2014 at 2:13 AM

London The Modern Babylon was a good one

Flag 0 rate up
Leslie May 08 2014 at 10:43 PM

go to Afdah.com and its all FREE

TahitiNini2@aol. Leslie May 09 2014 at 12:34 AM

No, I just signed up and it is not free and the movie selection was deplorable so I have already canceled my FREE $34 subscription. What a joke.

allnightradioman May 08 2014 at 9:59 PM

I get movies from the Library. Thanks for your tax dollars!!!

quincy_maxwell May 08 2014 at 9:38 PM

Netflix sucks. I've tried it and it has the worse selection of movies you do not want to watch. There are much better sites out there....take a look. The internet is a big place.

howdy Paul quincy_maxwell May 08 2014 at 10:28 PM

I agree....I used to have it but the movies sucked.....as did the choice....I go to the library and get them FREE!!! and a bigger selection....oh did I say FREE......Paul C

lopeard47 May 08 2014 at 8:56 PM

if they dont start putting some newer stuff on i am going to cancel them to i am just sick and tired of the same old rerun crap there is a bunch of 2013 tv shows they could air but they wont for some reason and i for one am tired of the same old crap maybe one more month and i am done if some thing dont change and i am done

ErikwithaK lopeard47 May 08 2014 at 9:55 PM

lopeared, period. Period, lopeared.