Human behavior may mean your brain is overheated

Yawning Might Mean Your Brain Is Overheated

A new study suggests there's science behind your yawns.

Researchers in Vienna found people yawn more in the summer than winter.

Opening wide and taking it all in cools the brain and regulates its temperature for optimum functionality.
But there's a window: People yawn most when it's around 68 degrees. When it's really hot outside, people are less likely to yawn because it would have very little impact on the brain's temperature.

As for how much sleep you got the night before or how stressed out you are, those are factors that could cause the brain to overheat, thus the necessity for a nice big yawn.

As for the phenomenon of contagious yawning? Science has yet to figure that one out.

Speaking of yawning, celebs do it too -- and it's a lot funnier than it should be:

frabittz May 08 2014 at 12:44 PM

yawn!

dwtomczyk May 08 2014 at 4:25 PM

my brain overheated when my kids became teenagers

emunoz1390 May 08 2014 at 4:38 PM

I tend to yawn non stop when I listen to some lying politician open his trap!

Loretta May 09 2014 at 3:19 AM

Bull Honkey ! ! !

bigred8690 May 08 2014 at 5:42 PM

Funny, I yawn a lot during boring meetings in air-conditioned rooms where the temperature is about 70 degrees.

I LOVE YOU JENNY May 08 2014 at 6:31 PM

Not my ex's brain, she doesn't have one!!!!!!!!

shirley.butterfield May 08 2014 at 6:40 PM

What a joke. Exactly how did they take the temperature of the brain?

extrachz shirley.butterfield May 08 2014 at 10:13 PM

Well Chirley, they probably did it the normal way and stuck it up yer hiney.....

chilamoo May 08 2014 at 8:04 PM

No wonder I always start yawning on the elliptical!

lonklein May 08 2014 at 8:55 PM

i just yawned 10 times watching this

ebicious lonklein May 08 2014 at 9:20 PM

ha-ha-ha I tried my hardest not to yawn and couldn't do it and I just READ the article, didn't watch the video!

Morry May 08 2014 at 11:26 PM

Part 13

10 (cont'd)...Back inside with a shivering "Brrrrr!!!" -- and remember, heat is lost rapidly from the head -- the milk goes in the fridge, and dad then throws his arms out in a wide stretch, takes a TREMENDOUS yawn, & says "off to bed, FINALLY" Was that yawn needed to cool the parts of his brain that the 10 deg. temperature didn't?

No. Because yawns CAN'T cool the brain. It is physically impossible by the nature of solids, liquids,& gases and the ways their respective natures permit them to react with each other. Do poeple yawn noticeably more in the summer than in the winter? These are empirical examples contradicting the "scientific" malarky of the article, & examples of common sense which also contradict it.

If you feel a yawn coming on now, it's not because your brain is too hot. It's because reading this too-long comment would probably cause even an Olympic track star to feel tired by this point. Apologies for any minutes I've stolen from your sleep.