Toronto mayor Rob Ford finds rehab 'amazing,' paper reports

TORONTO (Reuters) - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who said last month he would take time off to get treatment for an alcohol problem, described rehab as "amazing" and said he would return in time for the upcoming city election, a Toronto newspaper reported on Wednesday.

In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Ford said going into treatment was the "best decision" he has ever made.

"I feel great," Ford said. "Rehab is amazing. It reminds me of football camp. Kind of like the Washington Redskins camp I went to as a kid."

He didn't name the treatment center or say where it was located.

Ford gained global notoriety last year after he admitted he had smoked crack, bought illegal drugs and driven after drinking, but refused to step down or seek treatment.

The mayor took a leave of absence from his job and re-election campaign last week after the Globe and Mail newspaper reported that a new video showed Ford using what appeared to be drugs.

Ford's exact whereabouts were not known after media reports last week said Ford withdrew an application to enter the United States after landing in Chicago.

His decision to seek treatment comes after months of denials that he has a substance-abuse problem and nearly a year after media reports surfaced about Ford appearing in a video smoking crack cocaine.

Ford told the paper he would be on the ballot for mayor in October and predicted he would do well, though he didn't say when exactly he would return.

"Of course, I am coming back and I am going to kick butt," he said.

"There will be no need to clean out my office because I am coming back."

(Reporting by Leah Schnurr; Editing by Jeffrey Hodgson and Bernadette Baum)

Vicki May 07 2014 at 5:02 PM

I bet he is not in a 'real' rehab center. If he was working on sobriety it wouldn't be compared to a football camp, as it's much more intense work than he's indicating. He has more than an alcohol problem, he has a poly-substance addiction, and he needs some long term treatment. I hope he will seek long term treatment otherwise he'll be right back where he started from. He also needs to step down from this position he holds as mayor, he's a disgrace to all in Toronto. If they vote him back in again, they will get what they deserve. No sympathy here.

kolblh May 07 2014 at 5:02 PM

Ford offered, "pleasing every one is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake." He added, drinking responsilbe means don't spill it." Then he continued with, "I am who I am and your appoval isn't needed."

Karine May 07 2014 at 5:06 PM

He is notghing but a revolting fat sick with an ego the size of his stomach .. I jut want to wipe that stupid smug expression from his face.. How in the world would anyone consider to re-elect him !

antfern May 07 2014 at 4:56 PM

Probably he just celebrated Cinco De Mayo somewhere in California, wink, wink.

jsmith5241 May 07 2014 at 4:53 PM

Hope he isn't here in the U.S. We let Justin Bieber come here and now we are stuck with him! We don't need both.

cact25 jsmith5241 May 07 2014 at 6:26 PM

We don't want either of them. Revoke their Visas.

rabolargo1971 May 07 2014 at 5:02 PM

All these mean spirited judgemental bunch of arseholes insulting this dude. Yeah, he's the epitomy of lunacy but nobody is immune to addiction and addictive tendencies. Those name calling, mocking, and being judgemental towards this guy are fifty times bigger arseholes than he might or might not be. Crack is a horrible drug, up there with meth and heroin. Hope he comes back and stays clean.

cact25 rabolargo1971 May 07 2014 at 6:25 PM

He desrves everything hr gets. Nobody forced him to smoke crack. He chose to.

Beverly Doyle May 07 2014 at 5:04 PM

For those of you who believe he is in rehab . . . I have some swamp land in Florida I'd love to sell you! This man does not seem to be even close to hitting bottom. Sad.

Joel Donnenwirth May 07 2014 at 4:50 PM

He seems like hs is liked by many and I hope he straightens his life out to contribute all that he seems able.

gramos555 May 07 2014 at 4:50 PM

What do you wanna bet he never went to rehab, and he's just texting this from some bar in Detroit?

Robert gramos555 May 07 2014 at 4:56 PM

I was gonna guess a crack house, but a bar works too

greenliks gramos555 May 07 2014 at 5:00 PM

Detroit is in such a shambles this ******* Rob Ford could probably help them and many cities facing the same devastation. shame, we're doomed by our own gov't.

Joel Donnenwirth May 07 2014 at 4:49 PM

Wish him well he is a fairly well liked indivdual and I hope he gets himself right he can do some good.