Toronto mayor Rob Ford finds rehab 'amazing,' paper reports

TORONTO (Reuters) - Toronto Mayor Rob Ford, who said last month he would take time off to get treatment for an alcohol problem, described rehab as "amazing" and said he would return in time for the upcoming city election, a Toronto newspaper reported on Wednesday.

In an interview with the Toronto Sun, Ford said going into treatment was the "best decision" he has ever made.

"I feel great," Ford said. "Rehab is amazing. It reminds me of football camp. Kind of like the Washington Redskins camp I went to as a kid."

He didn't name the treatment center or say where it was located.

Ford gained global notoriety last year after he admitted he had smoked crack, bought illegal drugs and driven after drinking, but refused to step down or seek treatment.

The mayor took a leave of absence from his job and re-election campaign last week after the Globe and Mail newspaper reported that a new video showed Ford using what appeared to be drugs.

Ford's exact whereabouts were not known after media reports last week said Ford withdrew an application to enter the United States after landing in Chicago.

His decision to seek treatment comes after months of denials that he has a substance-abuse problem and nearly a year after media reports surfaced about Ford appearing in a video smoking crack cocaine.

Ford told the paper he would be on the ballot for mayor in October and predicted he would do well, though he didn't say when exactly he would return.

"Of course, I am coming back and I am going to kick butt," he said.

"There will be no need to clean out my office because I am coming back."

(Reporting by Leah Schnurr; Editing by Jeffrey Hodgson and Bernadette Baum)

neutralslamm May 07 2014 at 9:17 PM

I'm glad he's Canada's, we have enough crooks running our agencies already, lol.

belldn3 May 08 2014 at 12:03 AM

I don't think alcohol is his biggest problem.

wlh1923 belldn3 May 08 2014 at 7:32 AM

Food appears to be number 1, then everything else follows

spokajo May 07 2014 at 7:04 PM

Rehab is not "amazing", it is a difficult process and not something to use to promote a campaign.

dorc792 May 08 2014 at 12:08 AM

typical politician....above the law...all a-like eh?...hes in re-hab in colorado...close to the stuff he likes...

txblkleon May 08 2014 at 12:31 AM

Why is this drug fool is big news here in America? Shucks we have a bunch of idiots in Washington that are not just drinking kool-aid that should be in rehab?

Trish May 08 2014 at 1:26 AM

WHY is he still Mayor? He should have been fired, he's a lousy example for young people.

animal2605 Trish May 08 2014 at 8:54 AM

He pretty much has been but hes too stupid to realize it. He has been locked out of his office, the city council has stripped him of power. The vice mayor is running things.

stbaum May 08 2014 at 3:03 AM

While he belongs in NO position of power, he sure is entertaining!!! I love this guy, as long as he doesn't run my city!

wylielakesider May 08 2014 at 7:17 AM

why oh why do people give a **** about this clown???

Karl E. Jansson wylielakesider May 08 2014 at 10:15 AM

At least he's not stealing Nigerian school girls...yet. The all great "Allah" must have told him no!
We also have a clown here in America and his name is John Boehner. Good night, Johnboy!

redawngjo May 07 2014 at 6:34 PM

I give the man credit for going into Rehab for what ever his reasoning be. He will take something from it weather he wants to or not..and maybe it will take more than one visit..For some of us is does!!.................16 years clean and proud of it....Thank you Bill W. AA NA CA

wlh1923 May 08 2014 at 7:31 AM

"Head scratching" comparison...? With that creature I'd say it was more of a butt scratching comparision, but I suspect him arms aren't long enough for him to reach around himself to that extended portion of his anatomy.