Woman delivers triplets at 47; babies go home

MIAMI (AP) - Sharon Lewis was already a mother of two when she found out she was pregnant again. This time it was with triplets - at the age of 47, and without fertility treatments.

"Now the tears rolled because it was unexpected," she said Tuesday, moments before she was to take her three new children home, just in time for Mother's Day.

Lewis, a school cafeteria monitor with a 25-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son, said she was not looking to get pregnant again at her age. "But I was good. Once I grasped it, I was OK."

Dylan, Denere and Denard slept while Lewis and her doctors addressed the news media at Holtz Children's Hospital at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Medical Center. Each of the triplets weighed about 2 lbs. when born March 18. Since then, they have all been cared for at the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit.

Lewis developed high blood pressure during her pregnancy, so her doctors decided to deliver the triplets early, at 30 weeks. They said it was rare for a woman her age not only to get pregnant but also to have multiple births spontaneously, without hormone or fertility treatments.

"It was a miracle she got pregnant. It was a miracle she got three. And all of them are healthy and normal and she is fine," said Dr. Salih Y. Yasin, an obstetrician who specializes in high-risk pregnancies and delivering multiples, as he held a sleeping Denere in his arms. "Getting pregnant is 1 percent, but to be twins it's probably 1 percent of that. Triplets is 1 percent of 1 percent of that."

Lewis said she was looking forward to bonding with her babies at home.

"I felt that it was nobody but God that blessed my womb at 47. I do believe he brought me to it, he'll bring me through it," she said with a wide smile.

bambibam May 07 2014 at 10:43 PM

They are all so sweet. Congratulation and God Bless this family.

BILL MCALARNEY May 07 2014 at 9:53 PM

WHO ARE THE OTER TWO DADS???????

Renee BILL MCALARNEY May 07 2014 at 10:47 PM

Are you willing to pay child support? If not mind your damn business.

Blessed One X 20 BILL MCALARNEY May 07 2014 at 10:53 PM

Will this racism EVER end??!!

asadler784 May 07 2014 at 9:51 PM

god bless you and your babies...they are a gift

Everyone May 07 2014 at 9:45 PM

tammythun Why would you just assume that the government would have to take care of the babies? Its nobody's business where or who the father is, except the mother. There are many single parents who care for their children without assistance from the government. God bless Ms. Lewis and her babies.

tammythun Everyone May 07 2014 at 10:06 PM

Don't care who he is? I didn't ask who he was, just asked if there was one. Yes, I know that there are many single parents, I am one. I make it without government help, it's not easy, but it can be done.

Renee tammythun May 07 2014 at 10:52 PM

Really? Asked if there was one? Come on...what do you think this was the Emaculate Conception? You know what you really meant.

Flag 0 rate up
paig55 May 07 2014 at 9:45 PM

God Bless..no further comment

rjbhighc May 07 2014 at 9:38 PM

Indeed , No talk of a Father ? So , perhaps there is one more Deadbeat Papa ?
And Food stamps are in the mail ? But then perhaps Not ? Again NO talk of a Father ?
Why is that ? The last time I checked it takes two to make a Baby , yes ?

chekwriter May 07 2014 at 9:38 PM

Just amazing really. To be pregnant at 47 years old. To have a multiple birth. Awesome. She will need to much help, both emotional, mentally, and financially.

Ruth Duncan chekwriter May 07 2014 at 10:01 PM

Hell no! I had one kid I love dearly and we never thought of raising him but my HUSBAND AND MY SELF. I was raised that you did not take WELFARE you eat corn bread and pinto beans. We survided. How about showing some pride and work and responsibility for your actions!!!!!!

Blessed One X 20 Ruth Duncan May 07 2014 at 10:58 PM

SHe HAS A job...... the article mentioning no husband does NOT mean she doesn't have one. It's not like every news writer these days is an actual journalist. DON'T assume, and AGAIN, read the article and see that she HAS A JOB!

Flag 0 rate up
catbell7 chekwriter May 07 2014 at 10:16 PM

she might not need help financially, emotionally or mentally - my friend sure didn't she worked and her husband worked -- and grams came and stayed with them during the week and went home on the weekend an hour away -- and Lewis might have a husband -- the article doesn't say - so don't jump to conclusions and don't forget WIC is free to all who sign up for it -- so not all women are on welfare -- in CA one receives disability pay during the six weeks after the babies are born and some companies offer the father a six-week maternity leave also - that happened with my boss gal's sister's husband's company - he had a paid maternity leave of six weeks - it came in hand when they had their twins and then a 'surprise' 2 months later LOL --

Denise Thomson May 07 2014 at 9:35 PM

Congratulations on your triplets, Sharon. Yes, look at them as miracles from God and keep your Faith strong. You said it: he brought me to it, he'll bring me through it. That is God's promise to you and your family.

Happy and blessed Mother's Day to you!

okada02 May 07 2014 at 9:35 PM

Oh WOW! I couldn't afford to have children at that age. 47 really!!!! Unless I had ya Gov. help. Oh I'm white I can't.

Cheryl May 07 2014 at 9:33 PM

They are absolutely adorable. Think I would really freak out if I found out that I was pregnant with even one baby at that age. I wish her luck and may she and the babies be blessed.