Treasure hunters recover $1.3 million in gold from 1857 shipwreck

$1.3M In Gold Finally Recovered After 25 Years
A messy legal battle and some 25 years later, crews are finally recovering millions of dollars worth of gold off the coast of South Carolina.

WCSC reports that "These five gold bars totaling 1,000 ounces were found during the first dive to the wreckage. In today's market it is worth 1.3 million ... Two $20 double eagle coins were also recovered from the shipwreck."

Odyssey Marine Exploration has been working to recover the gold since last month.

But this whole story started about 150 years ago when the SS Central America ship was wrecked in a hurricane near South Carolina, claiming hundreds of lives and leaving behind hefty amounts of gold.

WCIV mentions "The ship sank back in 1857, but it wasn't discovered until 100 years later in 1986. Legal proceedings shut down recovery efforts after those million dollar finds in the 80s and 90s." (Via )

Those legal proceedings have to do with the man who first discovered the ship in the late 1980s, Tommy Thompson. Fox News reports he's a fugitive on the run.

But in March, an Ohio judge cleared the way for new discoveries.

And that's when Odyssey Marine Exploration stepped in. According to CBS, it's working on a full "pre-disturbance survey," and then it will go on an archeological excavation to recover the rest of the gold. (Via Facebook / Odyssey Marine Exploration)

Odyssey's chief executive told The New York Times, "We want to show that it can be done right. It's a great opportunity."

tejanosoundfm May 06 2014 at 11:24 PM

if i found a wallet, I would do everything in my power to return it. If the bank accidently put a deposit from someone else into my account, I would return it. If I got $5 or $500 accidentally in change at the grocery store, I would return it. BUT, if I found something like this, there's no way in hell I would let the lowlife liberal muslim loving baby killing bastards in the government know about it. Each day I think "ok that's it, I have reached the maximum for hatred" and then I read something else from some stupid godless moronic American hating Liberal Democrat and I realize NO, my contempt has just moved to a new level.

lagabriel2 May 06 2014 at 2:55 PM

WHEN YOU FIND TREASURE ,EVERY ONE WANTS IT ,BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO LOOK FOR IT .

tundraben May 06 2014 at 2:25 PM

yeah, I'd do the same except I wouldn't "burn" the team. Equal shares I'd say.

Genebo5 May 06 2014 at 2:25 PM

If you find anything that was lost. If its gold or silver melt it down. Then sell it a few ounces at a time. If Its cash Spend it a little at a time. Best thing is don't tell anyone. There is always a scumbag in the woodwork that wants some of it

Dean Sutton Genebo5 May 06 2014 at 3:08 PM

Yep! Right way to do it! If it has been lost for many years and you find it, just be careful. Somebody ill try to get a big chunk of it!

DGS May 06 2014 at 2:25 PM

Uncle Sam is watching

davidpegasus482 DGS May 06 2014 at 3:07 PM

you got that right

mig226 May 06 2014 at 2:09 PM

Most often if something was insured and the company paid it off, Then it really belongs to the insurance company! That is logical.

Brian Workman May 06 2014 at 1:42 PM

Tommy "Thompson reportedly sold salvaged gold bars and coins from the wreck at a California mint for $52 million before disapearing. He's now a wanted man accused of cheating his salvage team out of $2 million."
Tommy had $52 Million in his pocket and couldn't pay his $2M salvage bill!? What a greedy scrooge!! Just like some of the R&R Singers who stiff they're creditors today!!

Sandy Brian Workman May 06 2014 at 3:08 PM

Yeah, I just don't get that.....why screw your team that helped you? Gold coming out his ears, yet he instantly becomes Scrooge McDuck? What a jerk!

Charlie Sandy May 06 2014 at 3:26 PM

Republicanism is its highest form.

Flag 0 rate up
tfava Sandy May 06 2014 at 3:36 PM

au contraire, Charlie. Democrat-ism at ITS highest. Rich, liberal democrats like Pelosi trying to tax us, the producers and wealth generators of our society, out of our hard earned income in order to subsidize worthless, non-producing parasites. What insanity.

Flag +2 rate up
uttley123 May 06 2014 at 1:32 PM

I think he did the right thingtelling the Fed FU in the process. Finders keepers....... Problem is, the Fed, naturally, wants it all, and only gives a stipend out the person who made the discovery. If I was in the same situation, I would have done the same thing. What part of "mine" doesn't the IRS understand?

thuff31564 uttley123 May 06 2014 at 2:39 PM

Well they just want to redistribute that wealth......to themselves of course. Hey I know lets make a law. If you find anything anywhere in the world it is to be distributed amoung our pimps and theives in the government. The laws are not made for the people they are made to protect the lawmakers from going to jail.

Sandy uttley123 May 06 2014 at 3:09 PM

You would have screwed over your team that helped you, as well?

SandhillsRider May 06 2014 at 1:11 PM

If you find gold treasure at three a.m., there will be 20 govt. agents there by four a.m. Bet on it!

aaldrew SandhillsRider May 06 2014 at 1:42 PM

LOL

garyrjas May 06 2014 at 1:07 PM

Sank in 1857 discovered 100 years later in 1986. Who does the math here?