Pistorius allegedly made 'sinister' remark in court

By Christopher Torchia and Gerlad Imray

PRETORIA, South Africa (AP) - Oscar Pistorius was accused of making a "sinister" comment to a friend of Reeva Steenkamp in the courtroom Tuesday after his murder trial was adjourned for the day. Pistorius denied the allegation.

A lawyer for Kim Myers, who was close to Steenkamp, said Pistorius approached Myers in the Pretoria courtroom and said to her "how can you sleep at night?"

Lawyer Ian Levitt told The Associated Press that Myers said Pistorius made the remark in a "very sinister way."

Steenkamp, whom Pistorius shot and killed last year, lived with the Myers family and they say they were her second family.

"My client views this unwelcome approach as extremely disturbing and I have been in communication with the national prosecuting authorities," Levitt said in a later statement.

He told the AP that Myers was "shocked" and did not know what the remark referred to.

"It's important to confirm this. It was in front of witnesses. Journalists have witnessed this," Levitt said. A reporter also alleges that he overheard the double-amputee Olympian making the comment to Myers.

Members of the Myers family have been present for much of Pistorius' murder trial, sitting on a wooden bench reserved for friends and family just feet away from Pistorius.

Pistorius told reporters in the courtroom that he did not make the comment and hadn't spoken to members of the Myers family for weeks. His lawyer, Brian Webber, said Pistorius also told him that the allegation was untrue.

"I've asked the client and he denies that he said it," Webber told The AP.

Pistorius is charged with premeditated murder for shooting Steenkamp through a toilet cubicle door on Feb. 14, 2013. He pleaded not guilty and says he shot his girlfriend by mistake after thinking she was an intruder in his home. Prosecutors say they fought before the famed athlete killed her intentionally.

jelun May 06 2014 at 5:51 PM

That comment,without context, doesn't even make any sense. Why would he ask her that question?

Stephen Johnson May 06 2014 at 5:03 PM

I was put in the same situation, When I got out of bed the first thing I did was to ensure my wife was in bed. Then I reached for my 44 magnum and yelled come out with your hands up. after a few seconds I unloaded my gun blasting apart my bathroom door. Three dead suspects with AK47, M16 and 45 automatic. They were ready for war but I stopped it before it started.

romanodos May 06 2014 at 5:02 PM

Had Pistorius been black he would had been executed already. Since I do not favor dead penalty I would be happy to just amputate his two arms!

dcrazysnake romanodos May 06 2014 at 5:13 PM

Romanodos, just had to make a race remark , huh? Feel better now? Get in line with your old buddy, snoop dogg the racist and bigot. What a piece of ****.

theemovado dcrazysnake May 06 2014 at 5:15 PM

I totally agree with you dcrazy!

Flag 0 rate up
seattlewkr romanodos May 06 2014 at 5:52 PM

No way.

goongae May 06 2014 at 4:57 PM

More character assasination by friends of Ms Steenkamp. Show Me The Evidence Period. Oh there isn't any! Let's just find him guilty because we don't like him. WTF, you guys related to OJ's ex-wife or the metro-sexual waiter friend? Again we don't have any evidence but what does that matter? He must of done it because we don't like him. I hope each and everyone of you folks walkin in Pistorius' or OJ's shoes, to see what guilt by public opinion is like.

lcurtite May 06 2014 at 4:55 PM

I know one thing for sure, Pistorius is a great actor, his crying skills the best I've seen. his entire story sounds so questionable, this case is going to be hard for any jurior. If I were on the jury I would convict him, to suspious and doesn't make any sense how "P" describes the events.

jimbunchman lcurtite May 06 2014 at 5:22 PM

there is no jury in South Africa. Its all up to the judge

Joebudgie May 06 2014 at 4:55 PM

Oh come on already. The guy is sleeping with a girl. He hears a noise in the bathroom at night and just shoots through a closed bathroom door three times without "knowing" where his girlfriend is? Since Steenkamp lived with the Myers family maybe he was afraid Steenkamp told her she was afraid of Pistorius and was going to leave him. He was afraid Myers would bring that out in court and hoped a veiled threat would stop her.

Stephen Johnson May 06 2014 at 4:54 PM

Something dissurbs me about this hole deal. The bastard admitted shotting at the bathroom door. Why would a burgler run to the bathroom when there's no exits ??????. The bastard is gilty as hell, I hope he get's DEATH ROW

Richard Stephen Johnson May 06 2014 at 5:06 PM

OK YOUR RIGHT.

Alma Alejandra May 06 2014 at 4:48 PM

On the other side of the world, keep it there!

marshallpa Alma Alejandra May 06 2014 at 4:57 PM

It'd be good to keep you there! It's called news. It's how we learn about the rest of the world.

Tony marshallpa May 06 2014 at 5:26 PM

Thats funny....but very true. Thats what I try to tell my wife when I bring up any current events, she doesn't know what I'm even talking about, "Don't you ever pick up a paper or watch the news"?

Flag +1 rate up
marilyn May 06 2014 at 4:48 PM

his story does not ring true ...so many things tell us she did not trust him..."Why would you lock the bathroom door in the middle of the night unless you feel the need to protect yourself and there is the fact... that the first thing one would do if there was a possible intruder...is to find out where his girlfriend was and get her to safety ............oh please what a poor excuse for a human being......and now he plays the victim....and crying ......he has a lot to cry about he totally ruined his and so many people lives who loved and helped him...shame on him...... be a man and at least own up to your actions before you ask for forgiveness

junior marilyn May 06 2014 at 4:55 PM

Why would you sleep in the same house with someone you did not trust?

Amy junior May 06 2014 at 5:10 PM

Situation could have changed mid evening. Women are in the most danger when they are trying to leave a relationship. Perhaps Miss Steenkamp was in the middle of doing just that.

Flag +3 rate up
Rick May 06 2014 at 4:43 PM

who cares its all bullshit