Pilot crashes into former home north of Denver, walks away without any injuries

The pilot who crashed into a home near Denver on Monday used to own the property.

Pilot Brian Veatch confirmed to KMGH-TV that he owned the home, as indicated by property records, but said he didn't realize that's where he crashed until someone else pointed it out.

Veatch, a veteran firefighter, crashed into the unoccupied house in Northglenn on Monday. He tried to put out the fire with a garden hose before he was forced away by burning fuel.

Police say it looked like Veatch was trying to land in a field near the house. Veatch, who had been towing an advertising banner, had tried to turn back, spokesman Ron Haralson said.

There's no indication he'll face any charges. The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating.

itzvern May 06 2014 at 2:51 PM

How did the pilot crash into the house? I thought the plane crashed.

cincyburb01 May 06 2014 at 3:48 PM

What are the odds of this happening without being planned in advance? Consider the low probability of a plane crashing in the first place, then multiply that to the number of houses within the radius of the distance the plane had enough gas to travel to. Of course this was done on purpose.

smoses80 cincyburb01 May 06 2014 at 5:05 PM

How was it done on Purpose and Why?? Use Facts Please.

oneshot375 May 06 2014 at 3:48 PM

Any of you ever piloted an aircraft? Any of you ever had to crash land? Didn't think so. Why is it that most people automatically think the worst of someone they don't know? Oh, I just remembered. You can't fix stupid!

dougmckinney2 May 06 2014 at 3:55 PM

Unbelievable that people think he purposely crashed into the house. I guess he felt like risking his life and totaling a plane?

Georgina May 06 2014 at 4:00 PM

Talk about coincidence. Luckily there was no one in the house. That's what's important and it doesn't sound like any severe or life-threatening injuries.

buhroto May 06 2014 at 4:03 PM

This happened just miles away from my house. Yet I had no idea until JUST NOW. That's incredible. I'm so oblivious. This is worse than when I went into the dispensary and said, "So much for sneaking in on a Wednesday afternoon." And it was Monday ...

CalSailor buhroto May 06 2014 at 4:14 PM

Miltary? (vocabulary...LOL!)

Pr Chris

wb7ptr May 06 2014 at 4:03 PM

I think the guy was trying to make an emergency landing, and a large field like described in the article would be a very good place too. It would need to be as large as at least a short runway to do so. If he had flying as a hobby and enough money to buy the property, he may have built a runway on his property. Don't know on this but I do know other people who are pilots who have done just that. I took flying lessons a number of years back and we were taught emergency landings and how to pick a site. This sounds much more reasonable than his intentionally flying into his own home. Doubt if this was planned. Just a tragic accident or a "missed approach" trying to land in the field. Flying is a bit harder than it looks.

themrj2 May 06 2014 at 4:06 PM

Ever fly a plane? Ever fly a plane with a banner? Well until you do just go sit back in front of the TV with your Xbox or watch YOUR President (I didn't vote, been to long since someone to vote for) but this man was at least doing something besides crying. he tried to put the fire out

David themrj2 May 06 2014 at 4:13 PM

You didn't vote? Now that's a real patriotic gesture, NOT! What have you done for your country, anything except not voting, like not paying your child support or bills?Serving in the military, anything? Doubtful..

nurfaceart themrj2 May 06 2014 at 4:32 PM

If you don't vote then you do not get a say in what is right or wrong with this country!!!

themrj2 nurfaceart May 06 2014 at 5:55 PM

Why vote just so you can say Well you voted for him BS my time is worth more than that. You know make money so you can help pay for their pay raise while we get maybe 1.3%

Flag 0 rate up
datatranssupport May 06 2014 at 4:25 PM

There you have it - the majority of accidents happen at home...

abourge458 datatranssupport May 06 2014 at 4:30 PM

Yeah I read that once. Soon as I found out the greater majority of accident chance was at home.....
WELL, of course I MOVED>

Tcars4u datatranssupport May 06 2014 at 4:49 PM

HA HA HA HA ... can't stop laughing!! I love it .. "There you have it"....

Sure am glad to hear no one was in the house at the time. Thank You G_d..

gardenberg May 06 2014 at 4:29 PM

I think another article mentioned he was in his 70's...maybe time for a retest for his license...glad he didn't crash plane into the stadium/field he was flying over with the advertising banner...

THOMAS WASNOK gardenberg May 06 2014 at 5:41 PM

Yeh, maybe he forgot to open the garage door?