'Antiques Roadshow': Signed Babe Ruth photo worth small fortune

'Antiques Roadshow': Signed Babe Ruth Photo Worth Small Fortune

On "Antiques Roadshow," a woman brought in an autographed photo of Babe Ruth that was signed for Harry Webber, one of the baseball legend's very first agents.

The woman, who had the photo passed down to her from her grandfather, expected a couple thousand dollars for it. To her surprise, it was worth much more.

APPRAISER: I would put an auction estimate of this photo somewhere between $15 and $20,000.
WOMAN: "Oh my gosh!
APPRAISER: "... and I wouldn't be surprised it if sold for more ... it's that good.
WOMAN: "Wow!"

The photo was from the early 1920's and was in excellent condition, which the appraiser said was rare. He even called it "spectacular," explaining that while Babe Ruth had signed many pieces over the years, this one in particular stood out not only because of it's condition, but also because it's size and special signature, indicating it was from earlier in Babe's career.

The baseball fans of the Twitterverse were loving the photo, telling other baseballs fans to tune in to the show.

To find more Babe Ruth memorabilia online, you can visit SportMemorabilia.com and search Babe Ruth

pbutler111 May 06 2014 at 5:16 PM

Okay, I have to ask again: How little are these writers paid that they consider $15-20,000 to be a "small fortune"? I'm sure it seems like a small fortune if you're 10 years old, or if you work in a sweat shop making 17 cents a week. Otherwise -- stop getting hysterical over these "small fortunes" that wouldn't fund a semester at a junior college.

luckyfreeman pbutler111 May 06 2014 at 10:17 PM

man what a nornmal person would do with 20 K could make you a millionaire in your lifetime so stop being a greedy pot head...U would piss it all away on medical marry wanna..This lady would invest it...

exitscreaming May 06 2014 at 3:53 PM

Small Fortune? That's what I tip the valet when I'm in Vegas...

BONNA HEANEY exitscreaming May 06 2014 at 3:59 PM

Thats all ? You are a cheap guy !

glendaaparis exitscreaming May 06 2014 at 5:21 PM

okay you guys, (exitsscreaming, Bonna), right now $20,000 would be a fortune to me. Tip me exitscreaming!

ohioborn5650 May 06 2014 at 3:27 PM

15/20 thousand is a small fortune for some, but in today's economy it's nothing.

Sandy May 06 2014 at 3:25 PM

Small fortune? 15 to 20 months of house payments? A very nice vacation?

Small fortune - NOT! (but I would be happy to have it)

quincy_maxwell May 06 2014 at 2:14 PM

15 to 20 k for a photo is not a small fortune by todays standards. That is still below poverty level and petty cash for the wealthy. I hope this money serves her well if she chooses to sale it, but let's be honest....It is just a drop in the bucket for the problems of millions of people in the " richest country in the world."

Barbara May 06 2014 at 1:37 PM

I'm happy for her !

tyonsutter May 06 2014 at 1:25 PM

Haters....really? you make more than 15-20,000 a month...prove it. To somebody who has no money, it is in fact a fortune. Please look up fortune in the dictionary and tell me if it says "millions". People who make 20 grand a month don't have the time to post irrelevant comments on AOL discussion boards...lol

larry May 06 2014 at 10:16 PM

Watch out ! Obama will take it from you and distribute your hard earned money to the lazy and "freebie" seekers.

ickster01 May 06 2014 at 6:46 PM

Every week Huff Post/AOL has some stupid story from Antique Roadshow. Now 20 K is a "SMALL FORTUNE"!!!! Hyperbole knows no bounds, since yesterday the ass clown Obama is the "FUNNIEST PRESIDENT EVER!!!!"

alspoolhall ickster01 May 06 2014 at 7:24 PM

Every week Huff Pos/AOL has some stupid comment . . . really stupid comment.

poohbr4351 ickster01 May 06 2014 at 10:01 PM

Since Obama can't dazzle with his intelligence, the media has to show case SOMETHING he has......

BRUCE May 06 2014 at 7:24 PM

I once inherited a small fortune too.....My uncle Clyde died on our couch and 28 cents fell out of his pocket.....mine now!

tsr5112 BRUCE May 06 2014 at 8:11 PM

That quarter was mine Bruce!!

luckyfreeman tsr5112 May 06 2014 at 10:14 PM

I could use about 20 K about now ...Good for the lady...don't blow the cash ...use it for downpayment cash to buy a small bussiness or home in some souther city where there is no heating bills...It must have public sewage and public water...That will save you 50 k ...Life is good ...

Flag 0 rate up