Severe turbulence injures 6 on Philly flight

Severe Turbulence Injures 6 On Philly Flight

Several people on board a flight headed to Orlando are recovering after severe turbulence jolted them as the plane left Philadelphia Sunday.

"The U.S. Airways flight was heading to Orlando around 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon and turned around about an hour later."

The Airbus A330 was at about 17,000 feet when it was violently knocked by the turbulence.

"They hit turbulence so severe that four passengers and two crew members were injured, including a flight attendant that struck her head so hard it actually cracked the plane's wall."

Passengers recalled the experience to KYW-TV once they were back on the ground.

"Seeing things flying all over the place. I got sick from it. People injured, flight attendants running all over the plane, it was really scary. It was a terrifying experience, actually."

The flight attendants were treated and released, but no word yet on the condition of the passengers who were hurt. As for the uninjured passengers, they were able to fly to Orlando with a new flight crew about five hours later.

gmartin997 May 06 2014 at 7:18 AM

It had never occurred to me before, but it might be a good idea to have one or two changes of clean underwear in your carry-on........for emergencies.

riognach May 05 2014 at 5:19 PM

If it was so hellacious, then why is the ditz being interviewed smiling and laughing? Supeficial much?

gmsexton May 05 2014 at 5:54 PM

if y ou haven't had the pleasure of CAT... you are lucky. there is a reason they remind you to keep your belt on even if the sign is off. loosen it yes... off no. even with all the doplar radar they can't detect CAT. so even though it's very rare... like rogue waves in the ocean... it does happen.

frozenbull May 05 2014 at 6:02 PM

That's the problem with jet travel ., you can't just pull off the road and stop for a minute .

frozenbull May 05 2014 at 6:13 PM

I remember a prop job flight I took from Houston to Shervport LA. About an eighteen seater we took off in bad weather and it only got worse . I was never on a plane that met such turbulence in my life . And you would think that was the worse part . No we got all the way to Shervport and couldn't land because of low ceiling . .So we had to fly all the way back to Houston . When we got off the plane , we were then informed things had improved in Shervport and we could leave almost at one . I didn't get back on that plane and never few to Shervport again It was a 5 hour trip by car and I enjoyed every minute .

tubajew frozenbull May 05 2014 at 6:41 PM

We in Michigan call those "Ruptured Ducks."

arc23con May 05 2014 at 6:14 PM

I'd hate to be the clean crew after that plane landed.

Donna May 05 2014 at 6:25 PM

That's why I use 4 wheels for all my travel now. I've had enough flying to last a lifetime.

Hello Donna May 05 2014 at 10:28 PM

Yea, driving a car is safer after all.

no_freedomof_speech May 05 2014 at 8:32 PM

That is why you leave your seat belt on

debij no_freedomof_speech May 05 2014 at 9:28 PM

Leaving your seat belt on doesn't stop other things from flying around the cabin. I've been in turbulence before - especially on an orlando bound plane over Jacksonville, and it wasn't fun.

no_freedomof_speech debij May 05 2014 at 10:18 PM

This is true. But look at how many people have been hurt from getting knocked out of there seat

Flag +3 rate up
Hello debij May 05 2014 at 10:27 PM

So then just don't put your seatbelt on then. Geez, want a 100% insurance policy? There are none, don't pick it apart, leave your seatbelt on.

Flag 0 rate up
royjoneswolf62 May 05 2014 at 10:27 PM

I can hear the ambulance chasers screaming "sue, sue, sue" already. A field day for lawyers.

English not Span May 05 2014 at 10:29 PM

If the passengers had had their seat belts fastened, they would have come through this unscathed..

World Series