Marie Osmond reflects on late son: I know I'll see him again

Marie Osmond Reflects on Her Late Son Michael: I Know I'll See Him Again

The month of May is an especially difficult one for entertainer Marie Osmond, 54, as it brings her late son Michael's birthday. May is also when she celebrates her wedding anniversary, her mother's birthday and Mother's Day.

Michael died in May 2010, when he committed suicide after a lifelong battle with depression. He was just 18 years old.

"If I didn't have my faith in God, I don't know how I could survive," she tells ET's Brooke Anderson about getting through the difficult month in a new sit-down interview. "There's not a day that goes by where you know, people say, 'Does it get easier?' No. Does God give you respite? Absolutely ... it's a month of great reflection , love. He's still a very big part of my family."

In fact, Marie shares the touching Christmas gift the family gave the newest addition to the Osmond clan -- four-month old grandson Stephen Craig, Jr., the son of her eldest son Stephen and his wife Claire -- a lamb softie that Michael loved when he was a little boy.

"All the kids found it ... they found this little lamb, and they took the music box out and ... sewed it up and put it together," she explains. "And you know, they are a part of you. They're a part of you every single day, and I know I'll see him again. I know I will."

Currently, Marie is looking better than ever thanks to an incredible 50 pound weight loss due to Nutrisystem, and is absolutely relishing spending time with baby Stephen.

"That's what it is to be a grandma," she smiles. "All fun and no stress."

blueeyessing May 06 2014 at 12:40 PM

Maybe there was depression in Michael's family. Did Marie know anything about his birth mother's background? It can be hereditary.

tluns810 May 06 2014 at 2:04 PM

You have to wonder, what was so depressing about having a wealthy beautiful mother who loved you with all her heart ?

shopsrus2010 tluns810 May 06 2014 at 2:32 PM

All you idiots bringing money up and wealthy blah blah blah you are heartless people. Money isnt everything have you ever been depressed if not shut up.

holtdavidr tluns810 May 06 2014 at 2:42 PM

Depression is so misunderstood. The worse thing to ask a person with that condition is "what's wrong"? Chances are nothing. It is a chemical condition or imbalance. I thought more people were aware of that these days.He did have a wealthy and beautiful mother. But the boy was sick. To be pitied not judged.

RXTOXICWASTE May 06 2014 at 2:16 PM

If she where my mother I'd be depressed too.

nu1shop RXTOXICWASTE May 06 2014 at 3:02 PM

Comment regarding the total nonsense (ignorance) above re/humans (tourists and locals) attending the Osmond Show are not "drunks." They are famous entertainers and stage one of the highest rated shows on the strip. It is the entertainment capital of the world.

ftlguy07734 RXTOXICWASTE May 07 2014 at 1:04 AM

You are an idiot and an ignorant ass! It's pointless to make fun of you because it will take you the rest of the day to figure it out!

rxpharmd May 06 2014 at 2:19 PM

For someone who has never experienced true long term depressoin, I find hard to understand what would push someone to take their own life. We all all go through things in life that leads to short term depression, but long term chronic depression must be unbearable.

lbe4707084 May 06 2014 at 2:24 PM

My wife and I lost our oldest daughter 46 years ago. She was only three and a half. But, the memories of her often ask me, what sort of woman she might have been. As Marie says " every day I think of her" The loss of a child is the hardest loss. It is natural for children to bury parents, unnatural to bury children.

cadmasterp May 06 2014 at 2:24 PM

I lost my son in January 15 2014. I am so messed up. Killed in a black ice car accident, just going to work. 24 years old. I know the horror.

blisssunrise May 06 2014 at 2:34 PM

I hope when you get there he is too busy to see you just like you were the day he died. Was singing 50 year old songs in front of drunks in Vegas worth it?

realez24u May 06 2014 at 2:36 PM

dont forget she is an actress ?

kirkinoregon realez24u May 06 2014 at 3:08 PM

Really? How many movies has she been in? She is an "entertainer" and a "singer"...even a "spokesperson", but I am not sure she is considered an actress.

Nana realez24u May 06 2014 at 3:38 PM

She isnt an actress. She is a singer

normisty May 06 2014 at 2:40 PM

I lost my son 25 years ago when he was 31. "Why me?" Why not me. I haven't forgotten, but he is not part of my conversations today.

pjsass May 06 2014 at 1:41 PM

Some of the comments on this page about the post show how clearly peoople have insulated themselves from real life. They sit behind a computer screen and anonymously spew cruelty and venom. When a person was known for their word (no anonymous rantings), they thought twice about what they said. This woman was born into a family of entertainers and as such is in the public eye. I've never heard a mean remark come from her and I can only imagine the pain of losing a child. (makes no difference if it's a natural child, step child or if she is super rich or dirt poor). Those of you who spew hate and negative comments are a drag on humanity and really need to do some soul searching as to what motivates you to lash out like that.