Rare alien-looking goblin shark found off Florida coast

Rare Alien-Looking 'Goblin Shark' Found Off Florida Coast

Have you ever seen a goblin shark? Well, they're huge and creepy and one fisherman in Florida was pretty surprised to find just that in his shrimping net.

According to WTVJ "It was reeled in by a fisherman in Key West last month, and the fearsome finned creature has razor-sharp teeth and is around 18 feet long."

WTVT reports Carl Moore was on a shrimping expedition from Georgia when he caught the shark, which he said looked "prehistoric."

The 63-year-old told NBC he's caught other sharks before during his 15 years as a shrimping captain, but this one was way different. "I didn't know what it was. ... He had some mean-looking teeth and I didn't want to get caught up in those."

After releasing the shark and returning to shore last week, Moore reported his catch to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and discovered goblin sharks are actually really rare.

In fact, as Discovery notes, there isn't much known about the species - only that they usually linger very deep in the ocean. They also have moveable jaws that eerily expand from their bodies when capturing prey.

Experts say they are usually spotted at a depth of about 5,000 feet in waters near Japan and South Africa.

According to KeysNet, Moore's catch is only the second one ever recorded to be found in the Gulf of Mexico. The first one was found in 2000.

Moore says catching this alien-looking shark was the highlight in his 50 years of shrimp fishing.

mjmsja May 04 2014 at 4:48 PM

Kinda looks like the Mother-In -Law

katbru3 mjmsja May 04 2014 at 5:07 PM

lol - too funny mjmsja

Tricilla May 04 2014 at 4:54 PM

even more rare now.. should have let it go.

janieturnage May 04 2014 at 4:50 PM

Never heard of that kind before this. Those are probably the most fearsome looking teeth of any creature in the deep.

We did, however, catch a spoonbill catfish on a trot line way upriver and had to ask everywhere what it was. It was about 6 feet long and no question was the ugliest thing we ever saw. Somebody asked were we going to cook and eat it. I quickly said, "Absolutely not. I'm not going to eat anything I don't recognize."

jshe44281 janieturnage May 04 2014 at 5:00 PM

Spoon bills feed by filtering bottom sediments so unless the spoon bill snagged itself your claim is false. Spoon bill are snagged not caught on bait. great sport especially in strong current. As far as your claim it was six foot that would be a new record. As far as taste they are kind of like sword fish or pelagic shark. All fresh water fish are edible. Do a little research before you try to put us on.

memaw7824 jshe44281 May 04 2014 at 5:13 PM

U reminded me when I first went to Florida and these fish were jumping up out of the water and I thought they would be easy to catch until I found out they had to be caught with a net.

Flag +1 rate up
janieturnage jshe44281 May 04 2014 at 5:15 PM

Not trying to fool anyone. Why would I want to do that? No point in it. Maybe it did snag itself. I am just telling the story like it actually happened. It was as long as my husband was tall. That is what we were told by several people that it was. We carried it home and hung it on a tree and kept a picture of it for a long time. As far as catching it on a trot line, whatever it was, it was taken off our trot line which we baited with shrimp. If you can't believe it, then I am sorry, but we were on our houseboat with about 10 other people there.

Flag 0 rate up
memaw7824 janieturnage May 04 2014 at 5:11 PM

I'm with you, I was thinking of people eating sharks, but this one didn't look appetizing at all.

armandsmith May 04 2014 at 4:36 PM

Its says he released the shark. I hope thats true. Seems most men just want to kill everything they catch.

b'hamster armandsmith May 04 2014 at 5:04 PM

commercial fisherman are not know to be law breakers, it is not in their best interest.

Andrew May 04 2014 at 4:35 PM

Now it is more rare, sad.

b'hamster Andrew May 04 2014 at 5:04 PM

did you read the article?

dcapp69714 May 04 2014 at 4:43 PM

I hope he did let the shark go. It seems when ever something is different or scary we kill it. Shame on us.

b'hamster dcapp69714 May 04 2014 at 5:03 PM

please read the article before making foolish comments

valyo8 May 04 2014 at 4:33 PM

Was getting caught the 'highlight' of the shark's 50 years of existence?

ybear90826 May 04 2014 at 4:50 PM

Too bad that while the shark was still alive it was not released back into the ocean. Now a rare ocean creature has become even rarier. Maybe our grandchildren will get to see a picture of one in a book.

Beautiful May 04 2014 at 4:32 PM

Yeah-and the poor shark did not want to get up in your idiot, non-discriminating net, either. Also-how can you "release" something that is dead. Spare me.

Margaret Shipman May 04 2014 at 4:49 PM

I hope he released it but it may have so traumatized from being hung up that it may not live!!! Why just take a picture of without hanging it up and let it go!!! Damn people have to harm nature anyway they can!!!!

b'hamster Margaret Shipman May 04 2014 at 5:02 PM

Clearly you did not read the article. Also it was caught in the net, they had to grab it by the tail to "release" it back into the ocean.

Jack Margaret Shipman May 04 2014 at 5:06 PM

Released to die. The sharks backbone was undoubtedly broken when hung. At 18 ft in length, and I estimate the sharks weight to be approximately one ton, the poor shark will slowly sink to the bottom of the sea, unable to swim. It will become food for other predators since it will be unable to defend itself. I agree people are a..holes.

marcanagnos Jack May 04 2014 at 11:48 PM

You IGNORANT liberal, please don't post anymore. Broke it's backbone? Maybe you should have stayed in school past the second grade, sharks have no backbones. The only thing they have is teeth. What a total fool idiot. Even better than the ones who can't even read that they released it.

MARC